Pre-payment gas meter - battery failure

Comments

• concerned43
    concerned43 Posts: 1,316
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Terrylw1 wrote: »
    The thing to focus on is why an engineer said that ands ended up causing this situation.

What was that engineer there for?

Also, engineers issue notes back via their handhelds so he/she might have reported that battery issue to your Supplier, who may not have acted on it. Worth your Supplier checking that.

Thanks Terry - the engineer was there because I had used my card for the first time to credit the meter only to find that the previous tenant had debt and my money was being used to pay his debt, the engineer came out to reset the meter. It was a foul night and once he had done his job he chapped my door, upon answering it he told me that he had finished the job but my battery was running out but he could not change it and blamed Scottish Power policy (tho there looks like there is not one) so don't know why he did not change it - maybe hanging about in the horrible weather put him off and he made the 'policy' as a get out clause - who knows but Scottish Power should certainly investigate and speak with the engineer in question - if only to educate him so that no one has to go thro what I have went thro this weekend - the coldest so far!!
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    If the meter is outside, it might have been the weather. If it's too risky with adverse weather they can abort. However, they should still report the battery issue so they can either get another engineer out there or your Supplier will arrange one.

Worth your Supplier investigating that.

It's one for a complaint as it was totally avoidable and you didn't have an easy time getting it addressed until Colin came along.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This may be down to a division of labour. I work for British Gas, and we use two different types of company with the meter.
    The Meter Operator owns the meter, exchanges the meter and fixes it when it goes wrong (e.g. battery runs out). They also support out of hours by covering the Meter Readers
    The Meter Reader reads the meter, but also resets the meter, and can apply emergency credit.

It sounds like you original engineer was a Meter reader, who is not employed to change the battery. He would work for an independent company, not SP, and as such may not know the current policies.

However - the call centre agent defiantely should!
  • concerned43
    Forumite
    I now have heat - hurrah:j
    Scottish Power have offered compensation of £22 (will argue that one) and an internal investigation. They also said I should have called Manweb to replace battery over the weekend as they are Scottish Power's out of hours agent! how was I supposed to know that? I have suggested that Scottish Power put more information on their website regarding emergencies and relevant contact numbers.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi concerned43

Sorry for sounding blunt in my original reply. I was not meaning to put the blame on you, the engineer and the customer service team at ScottishPower should have acted upon the information you provided or the fact that the battery light was on the meter. I am sorry that this did not happen resulting in you being left with no heating. I would recommend contacting our prepayment team as they will be able to provide you with a booklet detailing how your prepayment meter works and all relevant contact numbers. I am glad that you now have a functioning meter again.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,647
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Make sure when you eventually get it fixed that you get compensation. If a meter breaks they are supposed to send someone out within 4 hours. As you could not get through the 4 hours is well and truly up already. Compensation is £22 and they probably won't pay it unless you ask.
    That will be 4 hours from when the reported fault is received.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That will be 4 hours from when the reported fault is received.
    Yes, but the claim is that the report could not be received because the company was uncontactable. It might take some arguing but it's worth a go.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    and sadly a lot of suppliers do not appear to have easily found out of hours contact numbers if any at all
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • concerned43
    Forumite
    As I said they have (off their own back) offered £22 compensation therefore it has nothing to do with 4 hours from call logged.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Good for them for giving the compensation without being asked. I wish British Gas were as good. They don't make a mention of it even when it's an open and shut case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure