PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 3:35PM
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    I live alone, it's not like I have anyone to be turned off by my PJs.... I think I just like being naked too much.... :D

Well until I became alone I wore light clothing or little when going to bed as the house was lovely and warm, now I have to watch what I spend and I see it getting worse as my income is low(needing state help)and though they say working is always going to be better than claiming(they'd say that even if you were better off by 50p) as you have only one wage coming in(usually the minimum wage)or as work is difficult to get and many have to take part time, many of us are struggling whatever our circumstances. I don't see it getting any better.

The point is because the house is now cold, often freezing and I avoid using the CH I have gone other way...it's all brush cotton PJ's and bedsocks. Fleece blankets, HWB, Dressing gowns, layered clothing. Woolen hats and gloves(fingerless and/fingers)Not forgetting thermal underwear and if needs be electric blankets.

I hate the change but there is nothing I can do about it. Of course some items mentioned are meant for outdoor use but if it gets really cold in here, I'll wear them indoors. I had an auntie of 98 still in her home and she used to wear a thick full length coat and a hat indoors.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • darkrev
    darkrev Posts: 478 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2012 at 7:55PM
    well off to get my winter bear paw boots re soled next time i have cash, the cobbler reccons he can put a better sole on them, annoying cos i only got em last year but was told once the bottom coating wears off they just are soft and wear lots
    , also thanks to freegle i got a microfiber mattress which is so much warmer than the old coil one, which was an unexpected bonus as i was after a mattress topper to save the old one. my mum down south says she is in tea shirsts still, i can't belive its so cold up north already.
    Thank you to all the money savers:beer: for all the wisdom, companionship, bargains, competitions and ideas:T you have made a transformation to our household, Thank you, it would have been so much harder without you and together we are amazing :A:smileyhea
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/womens-boots/faux-fur-lined-boots/invt/aq10502/

Tried my new boots today. Got them in the summer for £20 after an mse tip off. We went to feed the ducks. Feet warm and dry, very comfy. Much nicer than wellies. Also had my showerproof jacket, and the kiddies were so pleased as we played out in the rain, and I didn't stress about getting wet.

Was lovely to get home and put warm dry things on though...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Thanks Pink for the shiny new thread:T
    Popperwell wrote: »
    I did not used to bother with flu jabs but with a medical condition and kidney problems they say I should and being alone and no one to care for me, it's not good to get really ill with something like that so hope to get my flu jab on Monday.

Thanks for jogging my memory! .... must keep an eye out as my workplace usually offers them (but limited places) - similar to you, have one of those pesky medical conditions that makes the immune system not function properly and also a singleton which makes being ill (esp walking the dog!) a nightmare.
    Helen2k8 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the best place for a reminder, but please everyone bear in mind that fleece is VERY flammable, especially as we start wrapping ourselves up with it around extra heaters, candles, cookers etc.

So true, there have been a spate of fires nearbly this week (unfortunately with some fatalities) which has made me even more paranoid about having any naked flame in the house.

Sadly one of my neighbours died in a house fire last year and, after that, I'm afraid all the candles have been put away (even more paranoid with 3 pets in the house) - luckily I managed to get several of the camping lanterns from £land & several pop up LED lights that are supposed to be for your patio but give out fantastic light at £stretcher (also £1) and now rely on batteries.:o
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • RedLass
    RedLass Posts: 185
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Ok, time to face the fact that Autumn is well and truly here. We've had wind and rain for a few days solid this week, and it's been decidedly grotty. So, I've putting the two storage heaters on downstairs at their lowest setting, just to take the edge off each day. It's working, so far, and when we're feeling extra chilly, it's fluffy slipper boots and big cardigan time :o

Preparations done:
    - Front door thermal curtain hung (I wish it wasn't so stiff though)
    - Sausage draught excluders put at front and back door
    - Door attachable draught excluders for kitchen and bathroom ordered
    - Tealights and candles all gathered to one place
    - Door-shutting routine in place
    - PJs washed and ready to go (can't sleep in bottoms though)
    - Bed socks washed and in regular use already
    - Hot water bottle in regular use
    - Gather together all scarves/gloves/wooly hats/ear muffs so they're easy to grab on the way out
    - Fleeces out on the sofa and bed
    - Rearranged the furniture in the lounge to make it feel cosier

Things to do:
    - Gather bits together for two winter car kits (some items already in the house, others to top up)
    - Buy a second hot water bottle (for OH)
    - Wash fluffy dressing gowns
    - Final tidy up in the garden (pruning bushes, removing spent veg plants, cut grass)
    - Switch over to the winter duvet
    - Wash and put on the bedspread for optional extra layers
    - Defrost the freezer to make room for more batch cooked meals
    - Put together small emergency power cut kit
    - Give my car a check over (oil, tyres, water)

No major expense here, thankfully, mostly just bits and pieces I need to get off my butt and do :D I would like to find OH some waterproof/winter boots, as he really doesn't have anything like it. Maybe as a Christmas present (eek, not looking forward to Christmas this year tbh).
  • Well - the painter arrived & the windows are now done :j, hoping that should last them for around 5 years as it wasn't cheap :eek: (goodness knows why they put wood windows in, the houses aren't that old!). However, they really should've been done last year but put it off so had parts of the frames with no paint left & was really worried about them rotting (neighbours opposite have a huge hole right through their kitchen window :eek: so that would be even more expensive to sort!).

Heading tape also arrived today so will be tackling the fleece linings for the patio doors this weekend (prob Sunday as tomorrow looks like it might be nice;)) - can't wait to get the sewing machine up and working now I have the new (old) table to put it on:j

I also have a spare single duvet so may make a fleece poke to stick it in for my knees in the winter evenings too!

Outside Rainy my garden chairs haven't even been outside this year:eek: they're still up on the rafters of the garage (do have a couple of plastic ones that have been out tho').

Also need to find a cover for my bike as the one for the table is currently on it.... and a poncho so I can stick it in my pocket if it's a nice day and I'm out walking the dog (you've no idea how often I end up getting soaked!).
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bossymoo wrote: »
    http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/womens-boots/faux-fur-lined-boots/invt/aq10502/

Tried my new boots today. Got them in the summer for £20 after an mse tip off. We went to feed the ducks. Feet warm and dry, very comfy. Much nicer than wellies.

I have a pair of these...actually a friend had bought them, decided after a couple of wears that she couldn't get them on and off easily (very swollen ankles) and as she knew we had the same sized feet she offered them to me. And yes, very nice indeed, very cosy.
    Val.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread :D

Last night we had slugs in our hallway :eek: So I dug the salt out to put on the step after evicting the slugs outside. That would be the salt I've had sat on top of my kitchen cabinets since we had that really bad winter where the country ground to a halt! Was that 2010/11 or 2009/10? :rotfl::rotfl:

I will find that list, I know I've got it written down somewhere :o
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • GreenFairy wrote: »
    Once they all got warm I turned all of them completely off except for the one in the living room and the little one in the main bedroom. When we have the heating on then, we won't be paying for the extra rooms (and hall) being heated.

I need to find out how to turn radiators off! Though there is only one I would want off, which is in the spare room.

It's still relatively warm here (S Wales) so heating not been on yet, and spent most of today in just a t-shirt (and jeans!) :). I have been away for 3 nights and did wonder whether the house would be cold when I got home but it was fine.

It's my first whole winter here (moved in Jan) so not 100% sure on how the house is in winter. But it's only a small 2 bed mid terrace house so hoping it will fair well. I always have a fleecey blanket over me on the sofa, summer or winter!

I have got down some thicker curtains from the loft for my bedroom as I only have voile ones at moment. So will need to get some curtain rings from £shop to put them up this weekend. Winter duvet is in airing cupboard but probably won't go on til Nov, I don't like being too warm in bed!

I have lots of warm winter clothes already due to my work - youth worker/teacher/outdoor pursuits etc. But my walking boots broke this week :( so need to look for new ones.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Thanks for jogging my memory! .... must keep an eye out as my workplace usually offers them (but limited places) - similar to you, have one of those pesky medical conditions that makes the immune system not function properly and also a singleton which makes being ill (esp walking the dog!) a nightmare.

Yes that's me my condition all caused by an immune system problem...:mad:and spotted too late before my kidneys were affected...and probably like me you are on strong medication.

Usually its a walk in clinic rather than having to book.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure