PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

baking beans

I don't want to buy fancy baking beans for baking pastry cases blind etc. Can you suggest an old style alternative?

Thanks
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    I have used pasta shapes in the past for baking blind
  • 1sttimer_2
    1sttimer_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    I used to use dried peas/beans. BTW what do you cook when using them? I used to do it for baked custards, but I found it made little difference so don't bother now and it all gets eaten up no problem:rolleyes:
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always used bread crusts off any stale bread just line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and bung in a few crusts, you have to !!!!!! the pastry with a fork first of course.. then the rest of the stale bread gets used up for a bread pudding... yummy , and as you would probabley thrown the bread away anyway its freee:T
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • janetmw
    janetmw Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My favourite use for a blind baked pastry case ( apart from the classic Lemon Meringue pie) is Gypsy Tart. It is exceptionally yummy, easy and cheap!

For a 7inch pastry case take a small can of evaporated milk 170g/6oz. It works best if the can of milk has been well chilled in the fridge. Place contents in a bowl with same weight of dark soft brown sugar (use the muscavado type). Whisk with an electric whisk until extremely thick and much paler in colour (could take 5mins). It may be possible by hand, but it would take forever! Pour mixture into pastry case. Bake in pre-heated oven at 200C Gas Mark 6 for 12 minutes. It may still seem a little 'wobbly'. Remove from oven and leave to cool. It will then be set. If feeling decadent, serve with cream.

Janet
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    I keep a jar of dried soya beans which I use in place of "baking beans" for pastry cases.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    i saw in a mag someone uses an upturned sandwich tin and lines that with pastry then pricks it so no need to bake blind dont know if it would work tho
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    what are they actually supposed to do? :confused:

whenever i am baking a pastry base for a pie/flan/quiche, i always !!!!!! it with a fork repeatedly, bake for 10-20 mins, then fill and cook as normal.

i've never ever used baking beans (or a substitute) before and my baking has always been lovely :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    They hold the pastry down whilst you bake it blind.

In the past, I've treid just pricking with a fork but pastry hates me and still "bubbles" up unless I weigh it down. I've even treid pricking it to death but then the contents of the pastry case (when I fill it) just leaks out and laughs at me.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    I just !!!!!! it, but keep a bit of pastry back to plug the holes after it has been baked blind.

If you want to weigh it down you can use just about anything. I've even used a handful of teaspoons :rotfl:

Krishna
  • joey-lou
    joey-lou Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If i am being lazy i just !!!!!! the case but if not I use dried beans/pulses both do well just depends what "head" I have on that day;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure