The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Also, have an easier week roughly once a month

If you begin to get niggles, rest, even if you're following a schedule and it's not a rest day. You'll lose less fitness by taking a few days off to rest than by losing weeks or months to even a minor injury.

Rather than do all your runs to your maximum distance, which is boring and might be to much be too much, you might prefer to vary it , e.g. a short run, a medium run and a long run each week.

Run up some hills, especially if your races will be hilly.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Creep it up slowly.

Somehow, it's only just over a week until the Plymouth 10k. I thought I had much more time than that!

Think of it as a Park Run, then another couple of laps...
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    as a very general rule of thumb they reckon you shouldn't increase distance by more than 10% a week but - but it's a very general rule and not necessarily that applicable if you aren't running huge mileage

better guidance is too go carefully if you start to get any fresh twinges or aches that seem out of the ordinary don't keep pushing on regardless

as already suggested you might want to consider mixing it up - so doing some short run at a quicker pace (ie push hard) than the longer ones (ie take these easier) and yes hilly terrain is also good

mixing it up stops you getting bored & also reduces the chance of injury as you tend to run with a different gait/style at a different speeds/effort levels
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck at the Plymouth 10K IndieKid.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I will creep up steady and mix up the distances throughout the week more. At the moment most of the time there is a hill somewhere on route due to where I live, one of which I can only get a 1/4 up then I have to power walk:eek:
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Thanks. :)

There's a hill nearby I won't even run up... I run out further and walk up the hill, which is bad enough.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • newthrift
    Going for the first 5mile run today, I have so far down 3.5 miles but this will be all flat and a big downhill then my dad is driving me back home (basically I'm running to parents house). I'm going out steady and not ruling out a fast walk if I feel I need to.
  • Chickvic
    Chickvic Posts: 185 Forumite
    Hope it went well newthrift, I managed 10 miles today :D first time since my half marathon 2 weeks ago. It felt comfortable as well even if I did fall over, run up a stupidly steep hill and needed a loo stop! Determination can conquer most things!
  • newthrift
    Well done chickvic :D !!!
    I chickened out in the end and did my DVD :( I was worried it was too much of a leap up.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Plymouth 10k done yesterday. I've done the event every year since 2011 and recorded my worst time ever. Note to self: a flu jab isn't the best idea the day before a race.

Nice medal though!
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • red-boxer
    red-boxer Posts: 292 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2014 at 10:16PM
    Hi all, I haven't read the whole thread yet but fully intend to. Bit of background info i'm in my 40's (shh don't tell anyone lol), and have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week since January cross trainer / rowing machines and weights mainly, and have only ever walked on the treadmill.
    Any way back to now....I have just signed up to do a 10k race / santa dash in aid of the local hospice on the 7th Dec, my aim is to run the whole distance. I went for my first ever run on sunday and managed 5.2k in 38 mins, and managed the same today, do you seasoned runners think I've got enough time work my way up to 10k.
    I would really love to achieve this goal and run all the 10k, as for the past 4 years I have walked the circuit wearing a santa suit..........this year I'm aiming high :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure