Santander "DAILY ARRANGED OVERDRAFT FEE"

Comments

• jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They refused to close my old A&L account over the phone. I tried a few times aswell just to check I didn't get a newbie.

However, the lady in the branch who finally closed my account was lovely. Quick, apologetic... She even checked whether there were charges due (50p in my case) and adjusted the balance accordingly. She gave me my closing balance in cash, and printed out a little slip to prove it was closed.

It might be more simple if you are prepared to sacrifice a lunch hour

I think it depends which number you ring. I rang through on the A&L telephone banking number, and at the time, didnt ring to close the account, I was querying some fees, and mentioned that I intended to close it. The guy I spoke to said I'd have to wait until the fees came out, then call back. I did that, and when I called I expected to be told no I couldnt do it, and nearly fell off my chair when the lady said thats it your account closure request has been actioned. Within 24 hours my accounts were unavailable on online banking, and 10 days later I got my closing balance cheques for the Premier Direct and the Plussaver accounts.

I was quite disappointed it went so smoothly, was prepared for a fight with them LOL!
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • The only accounts Santander will close over the phone are esavers and remote (postal) savings accounts. Anything else, including all current accounts must be closed in branch.

Not sure who you got through to but bonus if they managed to close the account for you! :D
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,794
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The only accounts Santander will close over the phone are esavers and remote (postal) savings accounts. Anything else, including all current accounts must be closed in branch.

Not sure who you got through to but bonus if they managed to close the account for you! :D

I closed my ex A+L Premier current account recently by phone. No problem whatsoever.
  • My wife had roughly the same problem with an A&L account.

It was only when looking at it to reduce small balance to zero that a £5 underfunding fee had been added by their mistake. Of this there was no dispute. Account had been funded impeccably. They refunded £5 fee without delay or question.

However, we then went into about 3 months of limbo - involving 3 compulsory visits to the branch - one to stand at the counter for 1½ hours watching the poor girl try (without success) to close it.

The culmination of this was a very 'strong' visit (the third) to the Branch Manager who grovelled, and promised on her life it would be closed that day. Over the next few days, further grovelling apologies stating that the Head Office Auditor has had to crack the computer with a sledgehammer and feed so much money into and out of the account to try and make it 'settle down' and close.

Frustrating, but we received £105.05 compensation. That was £100 deliberately. Plus £5 they had left in by mistake (they obviously can't count) and 5 pence interest earned (at 0.5% I think) on all the money they had piled in and out over the period.
  • My account was originally with Abbey National.... and I have had an arranged overdraft for years. They used to charge me a small interest payment but now I am suddenly being hit with charges like this one:
    12 Aug 11 DAILY ARRANGED OVERDRAFT FEE 7.50
    I am unaware of why/when this changed but it isn't just a change for A&L customers.
  • Actually further to my prior post, the amount was always called an arranged overdraft fee but it was only between £2 and £3 until May this year. Seems like quite a jump to me!!
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

have a read here.

You should've had a leaflet with an earlier statement detailing changes.
  • LozzaJones wrote: »
    My account was originally with Abbey National.... and I have had an arranged overdraft for years. They used to charge me a small interest payment but now I am suddenly being hit with charges like this one:
    12 Aug 11 DAILY ARRANGED OVERDRAFT FEE 7.50
    I am unaware of why/when this changed but it isn't just a change for A&L customers.
    The changes to charges took place on March the 16th (if memory serves me correctly). I personally found out from a leaflet in my statement sent as early as January. But hardly anyone reads their statements these days, never mind the bumf that comes with it! ;):p
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    IrishGypsy wrote: »
    But hardly anyone reads their statements these days,.......

It also states on every Santander statement (since April):
    Your overdraft limit is £xxx.
    The fee for using an Arranged Overdraft is £00.50 per day.
  • Hi,

have a read here.

You should've had a leaflet with an earlier statement detailing changes.
    Thanks for this link. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport