Wescott Credit Services/Natwest

Options
Hi there,

Posting for the first time on MSE and would like some advice regarding a letter I have just received from Wescott Credit Services stating that I owe Natwest Retail roughly £387. This is the first I have heard about this in a couple of years and was sure the matter had been dealt with. The issue originally came about after I finished uni (over 4 years ago) and left an amount outstanding within the overdraft of a student account I had with Natwest. However, as stated above, I was sure this had been dealt with before and that I no longer owed any money because Natwest stopped nagging me and no DCA's were chasing me. I am now in a quandary over what to do - contact Natwest directly and ask them? Or send a "prove it" letter (having read threads on here) to Wescott? Or neither of those options?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Keen to have this sorted as I am about to start trying to make moves on the property ladder and am now very concerned! :(

Murray.

Comments

• fusionx212
    fusionx212 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Posting for the first time on MSE and would like some advice regarding a letter I have just received from Wescott Credit Services stating that I owe Natwest Retail roughly £387. This is the first I have heard about this in a couple of years and was sure the matter had been dealt with. The issue originally came about after I finished uni (over 4 years ago) and left an amount outstanding within the overdraft of a student account I had with Natwest. However, as stated above, I was sure this had been dealt with before and that I no longer owed any money because Natwest stopped nagging me and no DCA's were chasing me. I am now in a quandary over what to do - contact Natwest directly and ask them? Or send a "prove it" letter (having read threads on here) to Wescott? Or neither of those options?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Keen to have this sorted as I am about to start trying to make moves on the property ladder and am now very concerned! :(

Murray.

you can send them a prove it letter.

you need to check when you had the accounts and last paid them.

if it's older than 6 years then it's statute barred meaning they cannot legally take you to court as it's over the legal period required to chase debts.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Murray

As above, plus I would recommend you check your credit reports, especially if you have designs on getting a mortgage within the foreseeable future. This will help you identify any lingering matters that need settling before you make significant applications for credit.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome! You are in the best place.

Hate to break it to you but Wescott are a Debt Collection Agency...

You could try contacting NatWest directly (at least their phone calls should be recorded) but you may be told the matter has been passed to Wescott.

HTH and I am sure there are plenty of others on here who are far better placed to advise you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure