Real-life MMD: Can I ask guests to bring a bottle?

Comments

• oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What costs are already spiralling?

You haven't even planned the food or drink yet, let alone paid for it ... so what costs have you incurred?

Party = good company ... costs nothing

(MSE Debs .. at least this MMD is more realistic. Can we have feedback on what the outcome/decision was, please.)
  • Thinking back, I believe I've been expected (and have been fully willing) to take a bottle to every house party I've ever attended. In addition, as it's a house warming party, if the host is a good friend or relative I'd normally buy them a token gift for the house.

When you invite people, just say it's bring a bottle - a standard request that any guest should find acceptable. Buy an amount of wine and beer to start the party off and the guests can drink what's collectively brought. If I'm throwing the party I'll also have a big bowl of punch. That's can be relatively cheap, it looks good when people arrive and it always popular.

The host will typically be expected to supply food, as simple or gastronomic as you care. In my experience, that's the part where costs can spiral, so set yourself a budget and stick to it.
  • "Bottle Parties" were quite popular in the 70's and are even more relevant in todays economic climate. I would say it is most acceptable to ask your guests to bring a bottle or a few cans, you could state on the invitation "No presents, please - just bring a bottle!"
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I always take bottles to a house party.

For my mate's housewarming he had a cocktail party and gave a list of bottles he still needed to get. He had already bought about 15 bottles of spirits. So we all chipped in and made amazing cocktails. We just should have bought more grenadine lol
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    It is perfectly acceptable to ask guests to bring a bottle. They would expect to do so anyway. However, have some supplies laid in to give them a drink on arrival. Remember to chill the white wine and the beer. Nothing worse than cheap, warm plonk. I suggest you look at comparison websites to find the BEST wine you can offer for the cheapest price. In the run up to Christmas I bought very high end Cava at half price and bought 24 matching Champagne glasses from a charity shop for a couple of quid. It looked (and tasted) really fantastic.
  • In my experience people always bring a bottle, whether you ask them to or not. We buy a few bottles as well for our own parties. As a result the booze is stacking up! (I don't drink.)
  • wine is wine to 99% of the population dont matter if its a £3 bottle from Asda or a £50 bottle of vintage bordeaux they cant tell the difference
  • Hi, Personally, I would always take a bottle or something, however I have also been invited to parties where everyone takes their own drinks and also some food, a side dish like garlic bread or a dessert, and the host cooked some main meals for everyone. Hope this helps
  • Yeah it's called BYOB. (Bring your own booze). Mention that when inviting people along and all should be fine :) Have a couple of spares in case people forgot or whatever.

Also if you say bring your own, then it's hopefully clear enough that they'll bring whatever is needed to sustain themselves and not need to do the other "etiquette thing" of fetching you a bottle of wine, if you're not fussed (I wouldn't be, I don't need bottles of wine stacking up - others preferences may vary :D)

Or just use clear communication (maybe it's a man thing but I never really understood why etiquette requires hints and vagueness), "bring your own drinks, bring enough for the night" and if they're overly polite people, "and please don't worry about bringing me bottles of wine or anything, it's your company I'd value".
  • It's perfectly acceptable to ask people to bring a bottle and you may well find that people will ask if they can bring something anyway. Perhaps you could buy a few bottles of cheap fizz to toast your new home!
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure