Do you know what’s on your credit file?

Options

Comments

• Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    Options
    Very interesting exercise

That comes across (to me anyway) as possibly implying that the poll might have been the idea of the credit reference agencies, rather than MSE.
    It wasn't, was it?
  • kittykitten
    Options
    Any chance of having the answers in a format we can see on an iPad? I can't work out how to highlight as I don't have a mouse to click and drag!
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • michef
    michef Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    If using an ipad double click in the white space til u get the extendable blue copy box, extend it to capture the blank space and 'copy' then paste into a blank note. Et voila.
    If there is another easier way please let me know :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :T
    :beer:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • michef
    michef Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry dont double click, just tap and hold down for the blue bar on ipad :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :T
    :beer:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • FridgeHalfFull
    Options
    People need to be aware that just because information doesn't appear on your credit file doesn't mean that that it isn't gathered by reference agencies and used by lenders in their decision engines. Some examples:

- previous application searches could include marital/residential status. There are fraud detection services that compare these applications and lenders can then view what was captured previously

- banks provide current account transaction data. Credit reference agencies use this data to make an estimate of income that can be provided to lenders in affordability assessment tools
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options
    Tiglath wrote: »
    I'm not sure you're correct on monthly payments for insurance; it doesn't show on my Noddle account and never has.

What is a Noddle account????
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would have got them all right but for the wording on the insurance question. I thought it meant the amount of the payment, not just whether or not there was one.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Do you still have a credit file even if you never look at it?

It is something that I have never needed to do and probably never will.
  • rallyspit
    Options
    Several insurance providers have household insurance policies that are monthly renewable contracts and therefore are not classed as credit anyway. You pay monthly, you're insured for that month. If you were to stop the policy after 6 months, there are no redemption penalty clauses.

Other providers use a credit agreement (watch the APR!) which allows you to pay an annual premium in monthly instalments. The insurance company gets the annual premium up front from the credit provider, but if you cancel mid-term there is usually a penalty. Not all insurers record this form of credit anyway.

So the correct answer to the question is: "Sometimes"
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    What is a Noddle account????

A free credit report with Callcredit a small CRA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income