Real-life MMD: Should I cough up to avoid cheap seats at the theatre?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 2 January 2014 at 2:14PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I cough up to avoid cheap seats at the theatre?

My brother and I want to see a West End show. I would rather pay full whack for top seats, but he earns less than me so doesn’t want to shell out. Our mum suggested I subsidise his ticket, but I feel like this is unfair and he’s being difficult because he thinks this is the likely outcome. Should I cough up?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you're the one insisting on a top price ticket then I think it's absolutely reasonable that you should pay the difference between the cheap seats and top price ticket.

Forcing him into paying more than he can afford could lead to disastrous consequences.

Only other option is to sit separately.
  • Agreed, I'm sure that even the cheap tickets are quite a big outlay for him and if he was made to pay more then he'd probably resent you forcing him into it and it might have significant implications on his finances.

Say it's £40 for a cheap ticket and £70 for the best seats; look at it as being £100 instead of £70 (which is how it'll work out if you pay the difference for him) and ask yourself if it's worth paying an extra £60.

Or spend a tenner on the lottery and see if you can win enough to treat both of you to the best seats!
  • allybee13
    allybee13 Posts: 38 Forumite
    If it was my brother, I'd sit in the cheap seats with him. It would make him feel bad if I'd had to subsidise his ticket even though I was the one who wanted the expensive seats. I wouldn't want my brother to feel inadequate or that I'm better than him.

Alternatively, if your brother's pride wouldn't be wounded then it's absolutely reasonable for you to pay the difference for the expensive seats. Would you rather he got into debt?
    Debt Free since Feb 2007 :T
  • rachiibell
    rachiibell Posts: 300 Forumite
    I'd buy two tickets for the seats you want and then get him to give you the money for a standard priced seat. That way you're not rubbing it in his face that you earn more money than him and you get to watch the show from the seats you want. Thats win win in my opinion. I hate it when you agree to do something with someone and then they turn it into something more expensive than you were originally agreeing to!
  • NRTurner
    NRTurner Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you really must sit in a better seat, offer to pay the price difference between the cheap seat and the seat that you want.

However, I've been to three West End shows and each time sat in the cheap seats, and still been able to see everything without any problems. Provided the cheap seats are not restricted view, why not save yourself some money too?
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    What tier of seats is the difference?

If he wants to go cheapest and you want to go most expensive, see if he's willing to pay to meet in the middle with the mid price seats. If there is one price difference, then can he afford to go halves on the price difference between the 2?

If paying for the cheapest seat is a stretch for him, then I'd suggest he should buy the DVD of the show instead.

We saw a show a few years ago - mid range, small seats with no padding and all we wanted to do was stand after an hour on those things. Wished we'd bought the DVD and saved ourselves £100.

If none of those appeal, find another friend to go with if you aren't willing to contribute to your brothers ticket.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Elisecas
    Elisecas Posts: 51 Forumite
    Theatre tickets are expensive. Only he knows how much of a stretch the cheap and expensive tickets are for him. But perhaps think of it this way: if joining you in the more expensive seats meant he had to skip drinks with a friend, a trip to the cinema and the Saturday oapers for a month, would you still ask him to shell out for you?
  • lvm wrote: »
    If you're the one insisting on a top price ticket then I think it's absolutely reasonable that you should pay the difference between the cheap seats and top price ticket.

Forcing him into paying more than he can afford could lead to disastrous consequences.

Only other option is to sit separately.

I totally agree !
  • I was looking at going to the theatre later this year. Cheap seats were £20, and good seats were around £90, which is quite a difference in price. It's virtually my food budget for the month.

I'd actually be really upset if I agreed to go to the theatre with a friend, and they ordered £90 tickets. He's let you know he can't stretch to it, and you can't force him to pay more than he is willing to. At a minimum, you should try to go half way. Either offer to split the difference (so £55 for my show above), or you should sit in seats somewhere in the middle, around the £55 price tag.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    It is still Xmas, he is your blood so you treat him to the expensive seats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure