Faulty phone

Options
Al1x
Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I got a Nokia Lumia 520 last September. At just over a month old it developed a fault with the power button. It went back to carphone warehouse to be repaired. A month later I got the phone back and it worked well for a while.

Around 2-3 months later I noticed the volume up button has started to not work all the time, when it totally stopped working I contacted Nokia and got it repaired through them. (They seemed a lot better and they only took a week to get my phone back to me!)

Two weeks after having it back the power button stopped working again and it started turning itself off randomly so my phone went back to Nokia again.

I got it back today and and already the phone has turned itself off and I can only turn it on again if I plug it back in, and the power button is only working some of the time.

I have called Nokia and they say that the phone passed all the tests whilst they had it but to send it back again for their technicians to look at it again.

I don't think this is good for a phone that is only 7 months old. How many repairs to I have to have before I am entitled to a new phone?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al1x wrote: »
    I got a Nokia Lumia 520 last September. At just over a month old it developed a fault with the power button. It went back to carphone warehouse to be repaired. A month later I got the phone back and it worked well for a while.

Around 2-3 months later I noticed the volume up button has started to not work all the time, when it totally stopped working I contacted Nokia and got it repaired through them. (They seemed a lot better and they only took a week to get my phone back to me!)

Two weeks after having it back the power button stopped working again and it started turning itself off randomly so my phone went back to Nokia again.

I got it back today and and already the phone has turned itself off and I can only turn it on again if I plug it back in, and the power button is only working some of the time.

I have called Nokia and they say that the phone passed all the tests whilst they had it but to send it back again for their technicians to look at it again.

I don't think this is good for a phone that is only 7 months old. How many repairs to I have to have before I am entitled to a new phone?
    The manufacturer is only limited by the terms of your guarantee/warranty.
    If the warranty doesn't limit the number of repairs, then there is no limit to the number of repairs.

Assuming the problem is inherent, the seller, Carphone Warehouse, must perform a remedy within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience.
    Once again, there is no numeric maximum number of repairs, but once it passes that 'reasonable time' point then something else must be done.
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Assuming the problem is inherent, the seller, Carphone Warehouse, must perform a remedy within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience.
    Once again, there is no numeric maximum number of repairs, but once it passes that 'reasonable time' point then something else must be done.

I presume that if I go back to carphone warehouse they will say its got to go off for repair again so I would be left without a phone for another month which I feel is significantly inconvenient. If I go to Nokia then I have to spend a day waiting in for the phone to be collected and another day waiting in for it to be dropped off.

I would really like either a refund or a new phone, but don't know if that is likely.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al1x wrote: »
    I presume that if I go back to carphone warehouse they will say its got to go off for repair again so I would be left without a phone for another month which I feel is significantly inconvenient. If I go to Nokia then I have to spend a day waiting in for the phone to be collected and another day waiting in for it to be dropped off.

I would really like either a refund or a new phone, but don't know if that is likely.

Maybe they are not providing a remedy within a 'reasonable time', but I would respectfully suggest that being without a mobile telephone for a month is not a significant inconvenience.

I agree it might be a minor annoyance, and if you haven't got an old spare phone kicking around then maybe a [STRIKE]£10[/STRIKE] £7 cheapo from Tesco would be a good investment.

Have you read MSE's Consumer Rights guide yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure