Real-life MMD: How much should my friend pay me?

12346»

Comments

• Leaving aside issues of trust and communication I'd say your housemate may have a point, depending on the wording of the voucher.

If it was "Get X off when you spend Y" (e.g. "10% off when you spend £30") then the voucher will have been money off the total cost of the item, not just your half, therefore, you should be paying half of the remaining cost.

Also if the housemate had also had a similar voucher it's unlikely you would have both been able to use them both on the same item.

Then again, if it was like a gift-voucher for a fixed value in that one particular shop/chain, with no stipulations on the minimum amount you have to spend to benefit, then I'd say no, you're right to use it as partial payment for your half.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    It looks to me you are going to have to rethink your relationship here. Problems long term in the offing....
    By the way, don't share the voucher, it was cash to you.
  • I don't really think there's enough information here.

If the voucher was effectively a cash substitute, and it was an item you'd both agreed to buy from that particular shop, and you were both happy with the price, then I'd say it would be pretty cheeky of her to expect to benefit from your prize after you purchased it.

However, as others have said, how much did the voucher enter into your decision to buy that particular product? Let's imagine that the item was a dishwasher, and your voucher was for John Lewis. Did you buy that particular dishwasher from John Lewis just because you had the voucher for there, without looking to see if it could be found more cheaply anywhere else? Perhaps the dishwasher was £300 from John Lewis, but you could have got the same one for £250 from Tesco Direct. In that case I think it would be unfair to expect your friend to pay £25 more purely because you wanted to be able to use your voucher for your half.

What would be even worse would be if your friend had no say in the choice of the (for example) dishwasher and left it to you, and you ended up going for a much more expensive model that you otherwise would have done, because you knew you had a voucher to cover your own share.

As others have said, it would have made far better sense for you to discuss this beforehand! How hard would it have been for you to say 'I'd like to buy this, and I've got a voucher that I could use to pay for my share, what do you think?'
  • Doesn't matter how you pay. If the arrangement is 50/50 she needs to cough up half the cost.
  • I personally wouldn't expect someone to pay something I hadn't actually paid out on.

I don't think that's honest or the sign of you being a true friend.

I wouldn't expect someone to ask me to pay more than they had paid for something and I wouldn't consider them a real friend if they insisted I pay.

Call me old fashioned
  • Assuming the same item would have been bought and the cost split equally had the voucher not existed then she should pay half the price of the item in the cheapest store (which is presumably what she would have paid without the voucher)

Otherwise it depends on too many different factors.....
  • My take on this is simple. Whether you used money, vouchers or credit card. Isn't is all contributing to the purchase. your friend should therefore contribute half.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure