Clothing for Interview on JSA

I went to sign on today, and to see my personal advisor at the job center. Whilst I was there she set up an interview for me for Thursday.

I have no clothes suitable to attend the interview in, and as you can imagine, with only JSA as my income, money is tight!

I rang my Mum to talk about it and she mentioned that the Job Center can help with money towards clothes for interviews - and it reminded me of something I was told at the beginning of my claim which I briefly remember.

I've googled to look for something about it, and have found that it is called the 'Advisor Discretionary Fund'. I have the phone number to call in the morning to see if I can get help towards costs. I'm worried that it is such short notice, as I only got the interview set up today, and it is on Thursday - giving me 2 days to buy clothes.

Does anyone know how this ADF works, or what it entails?
:heartsmil Proud Weight Watcher :heartsmil
Start Weight: 15st 13lb Current Weight: 10st 5lb
Total Loss to Date: 5st 8lb
- - -
Current 2011 Goal: Lose 8lb by 25th December
Loss This Week: -3 Total Loss 2011: -3

Comments

• dugdale_2
    dugdale_2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    I see that you live in Coventry, may I ask which job centre you sign at please ?
    What happens at my job centre is that you would make an appointment to speak to your adviser who would ask for info about your interview. If ADF was agreed you would go to Outfit at Central 6 retail park and pick suitable clothes as agreed with your adviser. Outfit would provide you with an invoice which you would return to your adviser who would give you a voucher entitling you to collect the goods. It is possible to do this all on the same day however can't be guaranteed.
  • I sign at Coventry Cofa Court :)

Do I have to call the ADF phone number to make an appointment with my advisor? Or do I just go straight to the job center? I'm quite confused as to how to go about all this!
    - - -
  • dugdale_2
    Cofa Court is the busiest Jobcentre in the UK and I'm not sure if you could see an adviser at short notice, perhaps you could call Cofa first thing in the morning to see if they could fit you in. If not you might be able to see an adviser at Tile Hill Jobcentre who would provide the same service as a Cofa Adviser. It's further out of town however is not as busy as Cofa Court and there is a good chance that you would be seen the same day by one of their advisers.
  • I have found a phone number for the ADF that I was given when I first signed on, so I will try calling that first thing to find out more. If they cannot help me I will try calling Cofa to see what they say.

My interview was only booked today, and I've only been given short notice myself to sort clothes for the interview, so I can honestly say I haven't left this until last minute. My personal advisor booked the interview herself today, and gave me a print out letter of the interview information so I have proof of the interview.

I really hope that I can get some help with this tomorrow, as usually when I make enquiries to Cofa - I get passed around like a hot potato and given numerous different numbers to call to try to find someone that knows anything!
    - - -
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Failing that, Primark do black trousers for a fiver and a blouse for £3.
    Not overly expensive and you could save them for further interviews.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff wrote: »
    Failing that, Primark do black trousers for a fiver and a blouse for £3.
    Not overly expensive and you could save them for further interviews.

Thanks for this :)

I feel so stressed because it's such short notice. I did have smart black trousers from my previous job (which I left 6 months ago to move here) but I've lost quite a bit of weight since then and dropped 2 sizes, so they don't fit anymore.

Short notice things stress me big time!
    - - -
  • dugdale_2
    I've not heard of an ADF number but by all means give it a ring. If you were to visit Tile Hill Jobcentre at 9 am with your NI number and interview letter I'm sure that an adviser will be able to see you at short notice :wink:
    I'm pretty sure that if everything goes correctly you would be the proud owner of suitable interview clothes by mid afternoon tomorrow.
  • dugdale wrote: »
    I've not heard of an ADF number but by all means give it a ring. If you were to visit Tile Hill Jobcentre at 9 am with your NI number and interview letter I'm sure that an adviser will be able to see you at short notice :wink:
    I'm pretty sure that if everything goes correctly you would be the proud owner of suitable interview clothes by mid afternoon tomorrow.

I hope so! *fingers crossed*

I went to Tile Hill for a 'back to work' session before Christmas - was rather shocked at how small the JC was there. Cofa is a beast in comparison -AND is always ridiculously busy.
    - - -
  • dugdale_2
    You_wicked_gay
    PM sent
  • dugdale I have sent a PM back :)

Thanks for your help - it's good to know that there's always someone on here that can lend a hand, or a bit of advice!
    - - -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income