Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE

Comments

• SidP
    SidP Posts: 65 Forumite
    Just an update regarding point (2) in my post above: transpires that Which? were correct and the adviser (and whoever she checked her information with) are wrong! According to the hardcopy documentation I received through the post after signing up for the tariff, SSE can "choose" to impose a charge of £50 on those who leave before the last 49 days of their contract.

This kind of poor information from companies is so rife now I expect it more than a correct answer. I know several people who have had similar experiences and are just as weary as me with this state of affairs.
  • I wouldn't use this company if they were giving electricity away! I used to be with them - and it was the worst thing I ever did. 2 years down the line I am still paying for their customer "advice" - given wrongly about registering my FIT. In fact despite intervention from the Ombudsman they have still NOT responded. I was even told by a manager that it was not their "responsibility to give correct advice to customers - customers are expected to find it out themselves". If you do switch - be warned.
  • I switched to SSE in October after moving into a flat with a dubious and relatively unknown energy company attached.

The switch-over went relatively smoothly, I received updates from them every now and again, and it took the standard 6 weeks to fully switch to them.

Generally I've received helpful service from them for queries I've had, though I emailed them a few times and it took them a week to get back to me.

As a young person who hasn't had to deal too much with energy companies until now, I've been so surprised by how SSE, and every other utility company, provide information in such a confusing manner. Plain English is generally used across the board now, and the energy companies do use this in their contracts, but what they say they are offering you sounds very different to what the reality is.

In my naivety, I didn't even know that my £** monthly payment wouldn't cover the bills, so I was a bit surprised the first time I submitted my readings and got told I owed £**. My bills are quite high for the size of our flat, but I am guessing it is down to the landlord not wanting to update the storage heaters or oven/cooker. It also took quite a bit of reading to figure out that 'Fixed Price' was in relation to their kWh rate.

Generally my switch was as stress-free as you could get with a switch-over, the service since has been helpful (if a little delayed), but as with every other company, SSE are great at selling you something very different to what you think you're buying! Some plain, no nonsense info from the very start would be more appreciated.
  • Hi
    Just as a warning, anyone who has an Economy 7 Meter like me will not get SSE 99 Month deal as they insist on giving the split tariff for day and night. They can not honour the deal. In my case they simply cancelled the application and told me to re-apply. This is their policy. In the 10 plus years i Have lived at the address I have never had an Economy 7 Tariff and have 3 previous providers who can simply deal with one tariff. This includes my last one OVO. I now after 14 days need to look for a new deal. I can not however on this website see any way to delete the deal. It says my deal is in progress the letter in my hand says my deal has been cancelled. Does anyone know how to delete the cancelled deal so I can select a new one?
    Thanks Stuart
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi
    Just as a warning, anyone who has an Economy 7 Meter like me will not get SSE 99 Month deal as they insist on giving the split tariff for day and night. They can not honour the deal. In my case they simply cancelled the application and told me to re-apply. This is their policy. In the 10 plus years i Have lived at the address I have never had an Economy 7 Tariff and have 3 previous providers who can simply deal with one tariff. This includes my last one OVO. I now after 14 days need to look for a new deal. I can not however on this website see any way to delete the deal. It says my deal is in progress the letter in my hand says my deal has been cancelled. Does anyone know how to delete the cancelled deal so I can select a new one?
    Thanks Stuart

Welcome to MSE :hello:

If I undertstand you correctly, your application to switch to MSE has been cancelled by SSE as the tariff you applied for is not compatible with the metering you currently have.

Therefore, you must have filled in the details on the CEC incorrectly if you applied via them.

To cancel the 'switch in progress' that currently shows on your CEC account, contact the CEC.

There's a CONTACTS link at the bottom of any page on this forum :)
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just applied to SSE today to switch electricity, did it over the phone as first time i'm doing this and no idea what they would ask me.

All went very well, even got the name of the person and there extension number... So now just waiting to hear from them in writing and then further details on when to expect to be switched, they advise it will be about 3 weeks so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly :)

Kev
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am with SSE now (under the hat of M & S Energy now but have previously also been with Atlantic). I have found the customer Services to be very good. OK they aren't the cheapest but I haven't had any problems in all the time I have been with them. I ought to move but am reluctant to do so.
  • kev2009
    edited 6 March 2017 at 4:47PM
    Hi all,

@katejo - thanks for you reply - very pleasing to hear from an existing customer that is happy with SSE! They were not the cheapest for me either but they were the only company i'd heard of and the others who were cheaper were companies only been going a year so didn't want to take a chance and end up with a headache :) Plus i'm not saving an awful lot on the electricity but a few quid.

Do SSE typical send details through the post or via email out of interest? The lady on the phone mentioned about going through setting up my online account so i thought those details might be emailed but nothing so far.

Thanks

Kev
  • kev2009
    Update:

Got a email from SSE this evening, in the email it says:-

"• If you owe money to your old supplier, or have a bill outstanding for more than 28 days they may object to us taking your supply until you have paid what is due"

Do I need to contact my existing supplier and pay anything I owe? I believe at present I have, for round figures, £68 in credit with electricity and £38 in debit on the Gas. Do i need to pay the £38 now?

I thought when they receive my closing meter readings, they would refund me any money owed and also take any money I owed them?

Don't want anything to cause a problem with the switch hence checking as new to this.

Thanks

Kev
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    When I did my switch last year they sent me an email and letters in the post.

I think it's referring to last debits, when you submit the final readings, give them a call and pay the final balance then. They may use the credit from one to pay the debit from the other but I would give them a call just to be sure.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport