Loyalty card changes - could we see minimum spends?

Options
richardw
richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
With Sainsbury's not doing the nectar double up offer and waitrose requiring a purchase for a free hot beverage, it appears the supermarkets are feeling the cost of their loyalty schemes, my guess is the next step is a minimum spend to get any benefits, if this happens are you likely to not bother with these schemes?
Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well Nectar effectively has a minimum spend of £500 to see any benefits (excluding bonus point gains), as you need 500 points to save £2.50.
    Tesco Clubcard needs 100 points to get a £1 voucher so its a £100 minimum spend.
    Waitrose of course doesn't use points so is different offer but it needs any spend for a coffee and £10 for a paper. Other benefits such as the 20% PYO offers work in a different sense anyway.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was thinking a per transaction minimum spend.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    richardw wrote: »

I don't think that would make any difference at Tesco & Sainsburys, other to make more people shop at Aldi/Lidl. Tesco and Sainsburys also want you to swipe for every transaction so they can track your spending habits, so the minimum to get any points will remain at £1 I think. They will just make it harder to redeem points.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »

Then what will happen is I will not spend my money exclusively in that supermarket.

My experience with Sainsburys. It was worth it when they gave 2 points per £1 and they gave generous bonuses. Now I can only get 1 point. To get more I have to spend a minimum of £10 to get double or £15 to get 150 points. When you add it all up it's not worth it.

Personally I go for money directly saved in my pocket now. I only go for a reward card when it worth it for a good bonus.

As for Waitrose making people buy something now for a drink why not. It's only because people took the pee out of the original offer they brought in a restriction.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    when I last went shopping in Aldi's I bumped into one of the supervisors from my local tesco's there I said how come your not using your own shop and she said they are too expensive even with staff discount and I prefer Aldi's :):):):)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You can boost nectar points through eBay spending (1 point per £ but they offer boost events quite regularly) and surveys.
    Club card also do the surveys i think.
    Every little helps :)
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sainsburys usually give out till spits of nectar coupons, whether for a specific product or for the whole shop e.g. triple points. There's also 'mycoupon' where you can select additional coupons from a list. Though this isn't as generous as it used to be - I can remember having £6.00 off a £40.00 spend and a 'mycoupon' for 1200 points for a £40.00 spend!

Tesco - OTOH rarely seem to give out till spits. They do though I think give the best deal on own-brand cereals.

Unfortunately, the 'conditional spend' coupons are becoming rarer. Last year, I'd be juggling offers from different
    Supermarkets, and as one finished another would arrive - currently don't have any.
    So, gradually spending my Morrisons £5.00 vouchers, and redeeming Nectar points.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to get booklets of coupons through the post for Tesco with both money off certain items, from a brand or an area. Using washing products as an example. I either had money off buying Persil non bio 33 wash liquid, when buying any Persil laundry product or when I spend £5 on laundry products. Plus coupons for extra points for the above too.

Not had any for a couple of years. I used to link the coupons were possible. One example was I had extra points coupons when buying Coco-Cola, crisps and 50p off any of their healthy range. Solution - sandwich meal deal!
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I don't know if the scheme still exists but Sainsbury's did offer the 'My Coupons' service where you could add certain products to a 'basket'.

Once you'd swiped your Nectar card they'd credit your account up to 30 days later.

I no longer shop at Sainsbury's as I'm not living near a store anymore and because I work for Tesco-just recently they've sent me coupons through the post to earn x amount of points based on a £30 spend.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    I don't think that would make any difference at Tesco & Sainsburys, other to make more people shop at Aldi/Lidl. Tesco and Sainsburys also want you to swipe for every transaction so they can track your spending habits, so the minimum to get any points will remain at £1 I think. They will just make it harder to redeem points.

I can't believe that anyone would choose any of the stores based on the fact they had a loyalty card.

I understand (although I don't use the store myself) that Tesco used to have good doubling up offers with their clubcard and if you bought fuel there as well as food they'd mount up. Not sure if this is still the case.

I have a Nectar card and I use it for the bits and pieces I get there which Aldi doesn't sell (or rarely things in Aldi I don't like). I choose Sainsbury's just because I pass on the way back from Aldi and so it's cheaper in fuel to go there than any other top-up supermarket. Unfortunately my Sainsbury doesn't sell fuel so I go to Asda for that.

I think all the SMs would probably like to ditch their loyalty schemes but no one wants to be first so they just tinker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure