Dont need a TV licence

Hi all.

From October I am considering that i will stop paying for the TV licence this is as I dont watch TV at all if anything my daughter watches youtube thats all.

I have sky and and a freeview aerial fitted.

When i phoned the TV licence line they informed me if I have any form of TV signal or digital aerial I have to pay for a TV licence as theres a signal comming into the house

Can anyone give me some advice we dont watch TV but do have a aerial.

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think that is incorrect - having an aerial does not mean that you are using it.
    Any more than having internet means you are receiving iPlayer.
    (Indeed, the signal comes into your hose whether you have an aerial or not!)
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    From TV Licensing:
    No matter what device you use, you must be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record live TV. This includes:

TV sets
    Laptops and desktop computers
    Tablets, mobile phones, satnavs and other portable devices
    Digital boxes (PVRs), satellite and cable, e.g. Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, YouView, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire TV
    Games consoles
    DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders

I must question though, if you say you don't watch TV at all, why are you paying for Sky?
  • sukh38
    sukh38 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    From TV Licensing:

I must question though, if you say you don't watch TV at all, why are you paying for Sky?

Thanks ao basically I have a freeview wire comming into property this means I have to pay for a TV LICENCE this is ridiculous.

Basically i moved out from mums and thought little one would like to watch normal TV so had sky for a year
  • prowla
    The key phrase from http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one in post #3 is "if you watch or record live TV"...

If you don't, then it doesn't matter a hoot what equipment you are in possession of; the rules say if you use them...

Note that, in addition to Freesat, Sky and so-on, it now also covers iPlayer & other online methods, including YouTube, for "live" TV.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    There are a few people that have been prosecuted in court IIRC when they had a TV aerial connected but weren't actually caught watching live TV.

The judgement was set on the balance of probabilities IIRC however this confuses me somewhat because i think it was a criminal offense and not a civil offense.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • prowla
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    There are a few people that have been prosecuted in court IIRC when they had a TV aerial connected but weren't actually caught watching live TV.

The judgement was set on the balance of probabilities IIRC however this confuses me somewhat because i think it was a criminal offense and not a civil offense.
    Sure - you would assume that folks would disconnect the aerial and put away the viewing equipment.

I mean, if you had a freeview box connected up with the planner set to record, then it'd be a bit of a giveaway.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could use your Freeview recorder to listen to, and record radio. Just one reason you could keep the equipment in place without needing a Licence.
    Paying for Sky and not a Licence though, that's trickier...
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP needs to post what the household intends to watch after October .
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    New law comes into effect Sept 1st.

The law is changing.

From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use.
    Don't forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.
    So, if you already have a TV Licence on 1 September, you’re already covered.

I also read a while ago that if it goes as far a court the fines could be increased if you pay a subscription service.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Years ago, the rules did say that you needed a licence if you had equipment capable of receiving a broadcast,( even if it wasn't used). I don't know when they were changed, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure