A way to use less petrol?

Options

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having a spare tyre isn't a legal requirement, but if you have one it's the law for it to have a legal tread and no damage, i.e. if you fit it, it should be legal to drive on it.
    However, empfun if you call the RAC with a puncture they will ask you if you have a servicable spare. As I always do, I don't know what they will say if you don't, or how the AA handles such sitiuations. They may either refuse you a patrolman until you have a spare wheel, or recommend you to a mobile tyre fitter, which will cost you.

My Fiat Punto was purchased new in March 2004. Instead of a spare tyre, it is provided with with a container that you put on the valve to pump up the tyre and seal any leak at the same time. Of course, it is not much good for any high speed blowout!

Fiat also provide three year AA cover on new car purchases, so it would be perverse if the AA refused to come out simply because you do not have a spare tyre!
  • ReductionQueen
    Options
    My Fiat Punto was purchased new in March 2004. Instead of a spare tyre, it is provided with with a container that you put on the valve to pump up the tyre and seal any leak at the same time. Of course, it is not much good for any high speed blowout!

Fiat also provide three year AA cover on new car purchases, so it would be perverse if the AA refused to come out simply because you do not have a spare tyre!

As I said, I don't know how either the RAC or AA would react if you had a puncture (good point about a high-speed blowout by the way), and no spare. No offence, but maybe you ought to find out. I have had plenty of arguments with the RAC about what can and can't be fixed by the roadside, and they love to quote thier T&C at you. This would not be helpful if you had managed to limp to the services on a motorway, only to find that you are left stranded by the 'forth emergency service' because thay recon you should have a spare.
    "Excuse me, this expires today, will you be reducing it?"
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having a spare tyre isn't a legal requirement, but if you have one it's the law for it to have a legal tread and no damage, i.e. if you fit it, it should be legal to drive on it.
    However, empfun if you call the RAC with a puncture they will ask you if you have a servicable spare. As I always do, I don't know what they will say if you don't, or how the AA handles such sitiuations. They may either refuse you a patrolman until you have a spare wheel, or recommend you to a mobile tyre fitter, which will cost you.
    From the AA website...

"There is no legal obligation to carry a spare tyre and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law."

Regarding the 'call-out'...

"AA service and/or cover does not include the following:

any additional charges resulting from your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel(s) or tyre(s). The AA will endeavour to arrange assistance from a third party on your behalf, but will not pay for the cost of the call-out or any repair"

Whilst I concede not carrying a usable spare is not illegal, I do feel it would be a pretty foolish thing to do (ref empfun's earlier post).

YB
  • ReductionQueen
    Options
    From the AA website...

Regarding the 'call-out'...

"AA service and/or cover does not include the following:

any additional charges resulting from your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel(s) or tyre(s). The AA will endeavour to arrange assistance from a third party on your behalf, but will not pay for the cost of the call-out or any repair"

Whilst I concede not carrying a usable spare is not illegal, I do feel it would be a pretty foolish thing to do (ref empfun's earlier post).

YB

Thanks for that, that clears that one up. I am sure that the RAC will be no different, as I suspected. I have to say that it's not very fair if your NEW car is not SOLD or DESIGNED to carry a spare. Maybe you should sort this out with the AA/RAC NOW before you have a puncture, if this applies to you. Though I bet they will just quote T&C at you!
    "Excuse me, this expires today, will you be reducing it?"
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To be boring and go back to the beginning for a moment - 40 litres of fuel weighs about 29 kg not 40 (less dense than water); also the tank will be average quarter full instead of half, so the weight saving effect will be less than fuzyfelt hopes, maybe 7 kg average.

Plenty of good advice above; I would add that under load eg going uphill or accelerating it is most efficient for the engine to be at the speed where the best torque occurs; this is another thing in favour of diesel (typically 2000 rpm - right in the middle of normal driving speeds).

On wheels/tyres, I think you can take it too far. A normal size (if you have the choice, sorry) will eventually be used, so I reckon this is cheaper overall than the redundant spacesaver. And in fact, on a long trip abroad with some nighttime driving I will take 2 spares (I once spent 3 hours in a German town finding the right size, and it cost £75 vs £45)

Become something of a forecourt price nerd; that will save more than the weight saving. Sometimes the supermarkets have vouchers for fuel if you get your groceries there; and reward/visa points. So effective fuel price varies about 76 to 88p.
  • heathy1_2
    Options
    Slightly off-topic, but I often wonder if depressing the clutch during an emergency stop increases or decreases stopping distance? Does it depend on what gear you're in? Any ideas?
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Silent_Bob wrote:
    Sorry to disagree but you're wrong. All fuels have to conform to a rigorous standard procedure. i.e. Sainsburys unleaded and super is the same as BP's.
    They all have to meet a minimum spec, eg EN590 in the case of diesel, and they all do, but this doesn't mean manufacturers can't exceed it, for convenience or marketing advantage. Eg the earliest Super Unleaded sold in the UK in the late 80s was typically 100 to 101 octane because for the quantities involved it wasn't worth blending it down to the 98 required to make it equivalent to 4-star.

Further eg: sulphur in diesel was reduced to 500ppm from late 1996, but the majors all went to that spec a year early so they could brag about it in their ads. The stuff they sold to supermarkets throughout was the old, cheaper 2,000ppm spec, which is worse for engines because sulphur wears them out.
    Additionally most of the time they fill up from the same fuel depots. There's one near me and I regularly see Esso, Shell, Texaco, Sainsburys tankers etc filling up there - and this is a BP depot.
    And it contains a dozen or more tanks, filled with fuel of varying specs, supplied into it either via the UK oil pipeline or by direct pipe from a nearby refinery or oil seaport. Which tank is used to fill DTWs depends on who the fuel is going to. It is very easy for a terminal to segregate different qualities and supply accordingly.
    As for the weight of fuel making a difference it does at 1kg a litre that extra half a tank makes a huge difference. On half a tank I get about 33-35 mpg, but this drops to 28-30 on a full tank when doing the same driving week in week out.
    The reference density for gasoline is actually 0.755kg/litre, 0.845 for diesel, so a 40-litre tank weighs 30kg or about 66lbs when full.

If you fill up, then drive the car till the tank is almost empty, the average weight of fuel would be 15kg. If you half-fill it and then always half-refill it when almost empty, the average weight of fuel would be 7.5kg. I find it very unlikely that a weight reduction of 7.5kg, well under 1% of the vehicle's weight, can possibly improve your fuel economy by 10 to 25%. If it did, I think you would find the car manufacturers would reduce the size of the fuel tank in order to fiddle the mpg results they use in their ads. If you want to reduce the weight carried, lose weight and drive naked.
    Driving a fuel hungry sports car that requires the highest RON rated fuel I can get (Optimax) which is overpriced requires use of the fuel saving measures outlined.
    I drive a convertible and find that shaving and polishing my head (I recommend Halfords' own brand), and only wearing wraparound shades while driving with the roof down, adds a good 10% to fuel economy, owing to better airflow.
  • westernpromise
    Options
    DavidVince wrote:
    do a few internet searches and finfd out how to make your used cooking oil into petrol - its alpot easier than you think.

David,

As a matter of interest, roughly where do you live and what do you drive? I want to make sure I never buy a second hand car off you.
  • westernpromise
    Options
    empfun wrote:
    2) Let your engine warm up fully if you have time before you drive it.
    Waste of fuel. The fastest way to warm an engine up is to drive away.
    4) Change your engine and transmission oil regularly.
    Or use a synthetic and change it every 2 years instead of twice a year. As well as saving on oil changes the thinner oil improves fuel economy.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    heathy1 wrote:
    Slightly off-topic, but I often wonder if depressing the clutch during an emergency stop increases or decreases stopping distance? Does it depend on what gear you're in? Any ideas?
    Wouldn't that also depend if you were going up or down hill? If going downhill, I'd have said it would increase your speed, in that the engine wouldn't be providing any braking power in a lower gear, but I don't know about going uphill.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport