The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Buying software for uni - bad idea?

Hi all :) looking for some opinions on a purchase I am considering.

I am about to start my final year of university and I want to buy the software I use on my course, and to do personal/hobbyist work in my spare time. It costs £170 to use for the year, or you can get a subscription, but this works out more expensive.

I've saved up and have the money now to buy it, but I keep thinking its a stupid purchase to make. I can use the software within uni for starters, and access it off campus between 9pm-7am.

My main reasons for wanting it are that I think I can be more productive if I own it, as I'm not restricted by uni studios and computers being in use when I want to use them. For reasons I don't want to go into, I don't always feel comfortable going into uni and I can be more productive when I work at home. I also can use the software for my personal use, which I have generated a small income from in the past.

Basically, I can't decide if its stupid to spend so much money for something that I can already use for free, but not necessarily at my own convenience. What do you think?
June 2016 Grocery Challenge- £49.61/£90

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the £170 only buys you use of the software for the same period that you will have access to it for free then I would put up with the inconvenience and spend the £170 in a year's time when you'll have no choice.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What's the software?
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    Contact the vendor. If it's likely to be something you'll buy from them later, they might supply it free while studying. Also, there's a (small) chance the uni license allows you to have your own copy (whilst part of the uni).
  • I think you answered your own question. You are uncomfortable using the campus labs/facilities and could also use it to generate some income. I wouldn't even think twice, so long as it's affordable.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • dm19
    dm19 Posts: 40
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At my uni I can access software on the uni system through a remote desktop. Not quite sure how it works and it is slower, but I can get the software for free in the comfort of my own room. I would ask the IT department if they have something similar. I didn't mind it being a little slower, but I rarely needed to use it so it wasn't much of an issue. Also, one or two of the features within the software didn't work on the remote desktop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure