I Just Want To Retire Debt Free

Comments

• Skye17
    Skye17 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi Purplebonnie,
    Thank you for stopping by my diary. You are doing amazingly well. Will be following you journey with intrest.
    Skye, x
  • I have been having a look at other people’s diaries and thinking about what could work for me. For example, I cannot change my Electricity supplier but the good thing is I don’t have to pay a standing charge, we literally pay for what we use (and it’s a good rate), therefore if I want to pay less, I use less, simple! I turn things off, no stand by, I think about everything before I plug in, I try to have manual rather than electric gadgets e.g. whisk (my Nan’s), coffee grinder (I use it for spices that I buy in bulk). My electrical appliances are fairly new and were the most economical and environmentally friendly in the market at the time of purchase. I work from home most of the time so don’t need to take lunches, but I do need to think about when I go off for meetings – do I need a snack if the meeting goes on longer? Do I need a flask of coffee? I must admit I have been guilty of popping in somewhere for a quick coffee and cake – not good for my pocket or waist. But I am making a list of things that I should be thinking about :

Use up my huge store of toiletries – I buy essentials each week whether I need them or not, hence the store. I have enough face cream (posh stuff too) to see me through to Christmas 2018.
    Use half the amount of washing powder and dishwasher tablets and forget fabric conditioner.
    Don’t waste food, think about how to use leftovers creatively or freeze.
    Use Aldi and Lidl more – go once a week with a list rather than shop on a daily basis in the nearest supermarket.
    Buy second hand where possible for items I need (not think I need)
    Write down ALL spending
    Make more use of the allotment for cheap, organic veg and exercise. I only pay £17.50 a year for the allotment and am now making all my own compost, so it is definitely cheaper to grow my own.
    Forage more, wild blackberries are more nutritious than expensive, shop bought blueberries! (I do have a big bag of blackberries in the freezer)

There is obviously going to be a lot more to add to my list, this is just the start of my frugal living. Can anyone add anything else or give me some tips please? I am so enthusiastic at the moment that I am thinking about every way I can save money so always willing to learn.

I had leftover stir fry for lunch, just as good today as yesterday.
    Tonight we had Roasted Squash and Sage Risotto and it was delicious. Both the Squash and the Sage came from the allotment. There is a lovely satisfaction from eating food you have grown, I feel a domestic goddess glow!

£1.06 Interest on Bank Account (put into Emergency Fund Account – every little helps)

NSD (yay!)

Running Totals :
    Extra Money : £41.66
    Money Saved : £273.50 (not including non eBay spending) (forgot to include money saved on internet change yesterday)
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Emergency Fund Goal - £1000/£106.89
    Living Fund 1 Year - £2520/£640
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
    Regular Saving Fund £4800/£400
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Happy new diary and good luck on your journey - have subscribed! I'm hopefully working for the next three and a half years till my State Pension kicks in.

Re: decluttering - I downsized when I moved a few years ago and had to get rid of quite a lot of "stuff" because I didn't have the space. And I don't miss it at all! :D. Am very happy now in my minimalistic flat!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Hi Seasidegal58 Nice to meet you. I am struggling with the decluttering but getting there slowly. I feel happier if I give it to charity and then I know it's not 'wasted', I also have a big pile for a boot sale next week. Hopefully the extra cash will help me not miss it!
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • Not a lot to report today, but I have had some minor achievements for me. I was out on working today and managed to stay out of Costa Coffee (I nipped into Tesco to use the loo and straight out again). I did spend £30.88 in Home Bargains, but I went with a list and stuck to it.

Took a veggie sausage roll & a pear for lunch.
    Leftover Risotto for dinner

Running Totals :
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • Well done for not having coffee in Tesco, Costa is my nemesis but I only succumb once a week :D Your squash and sage risotto sounds gorgeous.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • My Hubby loves pie, mash & liquor but thankfully we live quite a way from the nearest shop, but today he knew I was working near a pie & mash shop and that got him craving some. I went through freezer and found a veggie pie for me and one meat pie for him from a previous visit. I also persuaded him to make some mash ready for when I got home. So I went from buying 2 x meat pies, 1 veggie pie, mash and liquor to just buying 1 meat pie (yes, he has two!) and the liquor. Except – when I got to the pie and mash shop, I couldn’t park and ended up not buying anything. When I got home hubby had made some liquor using parsley from the allotment and therefore it cost me nothing. Result :) As an aside, do my fellow vegans know that veggie pie, mash & liquor from a pie & mash shop is accidentally vegan 

A good day :)

Running Totals :
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • Very money saving Bonnie:)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yum - pie, mash and liquor - food from the gods.......
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Didn’t spent any money yesterday which was great. Earned an extra £25.00 on a little private job.
    Had a meal out of freezer for dinner. Getting quite good at this no spending lark. Although I did some browsing at the Vauxhall garage for a new car :o
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts