PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Well it was Xmas lunch yesterday at work.so I had a g free blt, and crisp and mince pie. Only had it at 2 pm so I wasn't hungry when I got home, but had 2 fish fingers and cheese on a roll about 9 PM.
    That meant today was the chicken spicy thing I should have had yesterday. Boy was it spicy, had 2 slices bread with it to cool it down!
    Work let me bring home the 3 gfree mince pies that were left in the box.:T
    And won a bottle of prosecco!!
    I've had a Xmas clean today,skirting etc. Did windows Monday. Moved some furniture round to make room for the tree, and put lights outside round the porch, before weather gets bad.
    Dgson is going to help do tree on Sunday.

Tomorrow is work ,the sandwich I took yesterday will still be in the fridge, so will take a muller rice. Then I'm out for a meal with all the girls in the family, sisters aunt,cousins,nieces etc. Which we do each year. I think I ordered mushrooms, salmon and pavlova. I will need to check as it was ages ago we ordered.!

Caronc glad your son is safe and hope his girlfriend makes a speedy recovery.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wort wrote: »
    Well it was Xmas lunch yesterday at work.so I had a g free blt, and crisp and mince pie. Only had it at 2 pm so I wasn't hungry when I got home, but had 2 fish fingers and cheese on a roll about 9 PM.
    That meant today was the chicken spicy thing I should have had yesterday. Boy was it spicy, had 2 slices bread with it to cool it down!
    Work let me bring home the 3 gfree mince pies that were left in the box.:T
    And won a bottle of prosecco!!
    I've had a Xmas clean today,skirting etc. Did windows Monday. Moved some furniture round to make room for the tree, and put lights outside round the porch, before weather gets bad.
    Dgson is going to help do tree on Sunday.

Tomorrow is work ,the sandwich I took yesterday will still be in the fridge, so will take a muller rice. Then I'm out for a meal with all the girls in the family, sisters aunt,cousins,nieces etc. Which we do each year. I think I ordered mushrooms, salmon and pavlova. I will need to check as it was ages ago we ordered.!

Caronc glad your son is safe and hope his girlfriend makes a speedy recovery.
    Enjoy your evening with your family tomorrow :). I'll be pleased when they are both safely back in Cardiff:)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    At the risk of sounding as tight as I am .... :)

That's £10.75/Kg. My big bag was about £1.40-£1.50/Kg!

It's always that balance isn't it, between having a manageable quantity... or a trough-full that'll last 10 years because "it's better value" :)

Lol I know I thought the same.I do my own but only when I can open the doors and windows otherwise the house reeks for days. Smells lovely at the moment though I`m drying orange slices for Christmas decorations.

In fairness though these little boxes do go a long way and are very handy to keep in. They are dehydrated weight and do bulk out considerably when rehydrated. Must try to remember to see what a kg of onions ends up dried weight.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    caronc wrote: »
    Enjoy your evening with your family tomorrow :). I'll be pleased when they are both safely back in Cardiff:)

Its always an anxious tine till all back in the nest isn't it No matter how much to try not to worry you cant help it. My DD and DGD went touring in America I got a text to say they had missed a bus connection and were stuck in the station. Then nothing for 3 daysI was beside myself swear I aged 10 years and really ready to phone British embasy the FBI and the Pope if need be when DD texted to say sorry bus came and we ran out leaving mobile on the seat. Relief was short lived however cos she also sent a pic of DGD holding an alligator. Longest month of my life I tell you.
    Slimming World at target
  • Baked beans on toast for dinner, yummy!
    I fancy something sweet.... but the kitchen is soooooo very dark in the evenings. I was going to knock up a quick flapjack, I have everything there .... but then I remembered how depressing and brown and dark the kitchen is and decided to go without.

Why is your kitchen so dark? Our light kept going but then my nephew in law fixed the light fixture. I used to have to bring a lamp into the kitchen to plug in when the light kept going.

I think I used LED battery candles at one point too. I have them all round the house as they are quite handy when you have to get up at night.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 9:58PM

Why is your kitchen so dark?

It's quite brown ... including inside the carcasses (black holes of Calcutta in there! Can't see a thing even mid summer).

On the ceiling there is a single short track of four small spotlights.... only two don't work - and I've not got round to getting the ladder out and getting up there to try to work out how to get them out, to then go down the shops to try to find replacements, to then get up the ladder again to replace them.

So there are two tiny spotlights in a brown kitchen.

There's probably some daft "energy saving" thing going on there .... it's about as bright in there as if I had an old-fashioned 40-60 watt lightbulb....and that's probably an over-estimate of the light emitted. It's....dark.
  • caronc
    edited 6 December 2017 at 10:01PM
    meg72 wrote: »
    Its always an anxious tine till all back in the nest isn't it No matter how much to try not to worry you cant help it. My DD and DGD went touring in America I got a text to say they had missed a bus connection and were stuck in the station. Then nothing for 3 daysI was beside myself swear I aged 10 years and really ready to phone British embasy the FBI and the Pope if need be when DD texted to say sorry bus came and we ran out leaving mobile on the seat. Relief was short lived however cos she also sent a pic of DGD holding an alligator. Longest month of my life I tell you.
    Goodness I'd of been frantic:eek:, just had nice Facetime chat with them both. Thankfully his gf is looking less battered today though still a bit tired and pale. Next challenge will be to translate the paperwork she got from the hospital as it's in Dutch which I didn't expect though a quick google shows that some Flemish dialects are a version of Dutch (I thought it was German-based) :eek:. I'm sure we will manage to work it out!

Dinner ended up being chicken pie, roast spuds and baked mushrooms. Not healthy but what I fancied it's a wild and wet night here so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it:D.
  • caronc
    edited 7 December 2017 at 10:37AM
    Good morning everyone,
    It's a wild one here, worst of the gales due to settle this afternoon in time for temperatures to plummet to freezing tonight:eek:, snow forecast for tomorrow but we don't tend to get much as we are so near the coast.
    I think I'll be taking the last portion of lentil soup out for lunch and I think tonight will either be pasta or some sort of one pot wonder.
    Thankfully the storm seems to mainly on the West so hopefully the Calais/Dover crossing won't be too bumpy, they are booked on the 1pm ferry so fingers crossed.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 12:09PM
    A motivated person would have beef in the SC that'd already been on for 1½ hours as the shop selling beef opened at 8am.

Me .... I'm still not even dressed.

:)

No idea yet what I'll eat today, I'd like to get that beef, but it's not just today so there's no rush.

NOTE: One of the "L" special offers for the next fortnight is celery at 39p. That's on my list to buy specifically for a nut roast. If you're somebody annoyed at finding celery in recipes as you don't like it .... at 39p this might be the ONE time to get some to make whatever that thing was....

I begrudge spending good money on things I don't like, to add to a recipe I like, as I'm never sure if leaving it out would spoil the dish, or if it needs it - so I usually put those recipes to one side.... but there's quite a LOT of celery in this recipe, so it was a dominant part of the flavouring and I felt unable to proceed without it, but didn't want to spend a fortune on that bit.
  • I'm trying to lose weight so I have been more sensible with my eating the past couple of days. I got a takeaway about 4 times in the last week before that!:eek:

Cup of tea and toast with Marmite for breakfast.

I have the rest of my chickpea stew and a roll for lunch and a couple of pieces of fresh fruit.

I am having a ready made veggie burger for dinner along with a baked potato and steamed carrots, parsnips and brussels with onion gravy. Yum.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure