Supermarket fuel v the rest

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    I only ever fill up at supermarket, maybe less than 10 times in total in the last 30 years have I filled at a brand name station.

Never a problem.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    99.99999% Supermarket. The only one i avoid is Morrisons..

Going back quite a few years, I avoided it because they had more bio fuel in their mix compared to everyone else, which some cars had issues with. But i think its all the same % now.

I avoid my local Morrisons because they have had several misfuellings, wrong fuels in the tanks.
    But whilst on holiday i have no issues with using Morrisons fuel.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fill with supermarket, don't tell him, see if he notices any difference. He won't :)

If you really want to test it, do that then after a month or so of him not noticing tell him that you've put supermarket fuel in on the latest fill (invent some reason) and enjoy his immediate discovery of sluggishness & poor running. Then accept that he knows best, reassure him you're back on the good stuff, while continuing to fill at the supermarket safe in the knowledge he really can't tell the difference ;)

Oh, and let us know how it goes!
  • Joe Horner - that made me laugh out loud, and that's exactly what I've done in the past... Yes, he does reckon he can tell.

Does it make any difference what sort of car it is?

Popcorn at the ready...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    99.99999% Supermarket. The only one i avoid is Morrisons..

I'm with you on that.

Difficult to be 100% sure but I think Tesco is straightforward Esso.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, as its you who does the filling up you choose where you fill up.

Been using supermarket fuel fo years, a mix of Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, waitrose when it was competitive price.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Joe Horner - that made me laugh out loud, and that's exactly what I've done in the past... Yes, he does reckon he can tell.

Extensive double-blind trials at the ready...
    Does it make any difference what sort of car it is?

With petrol, higher octane does make a difference in some cars. Most of those which can take advantage of the higher octane are either very high performance, or much older. The modern stuff will mostly automatically adjust to work just fine with "vanilla", the older stuff can be adjusted.

With diesel, it's much less clear-cut...
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    All would say is that Sainsbury's diesel gives me the same mpg as shell but 4p a litre cheaper :)

But I won't go back to asda again - got caught out and had to put a tank in at asda and ended up 4mpg less on that tankfull :(
    This has been in the last couple of months.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was told by someone who worked for Mobil for many years that supermarket fuel met the requisite spec. but only marginally so. There might, therefore, be a slight beneficial/harmful effect which only showed up after some years so those who religiously change their cars every 3 years wouldn't encounter it. Personally I buy from non- supermarket filling stations but that may be to some extent because our Waitrose doesn't sell petrol.
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Virtually all fuel in a given area will come from the same refinery. The only differences are in the additives that the differing companies use, so the actual fuel for all filling stations coming from that refinery is exactly the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure