PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have 2 drawers, top one contains tee shirts and vest tops, bottom one contains leggings,shorts and knickers.
    I have three hooks on the wall, one holds hats and scarves, one holds my two dresses and one holds my dressing gown.
    I have two pairs of days, a pair of wellys and a pair of court shoes, these are on the floor in for t of the drawers.

I tried to persuade my husband that we should move onto a narrowboat until he pointed out that I get seasick on a millpond. I then suggested that we build a tiny house and I got 'the look'.*

Did you find it hard to get rid of your clothes? This was one of my biggest challenges.

*He is actually great and has even decluttered his clothes and hobby stuff too even if he won't move into a shed. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ...I try to cook from scratch every day but I'd love to expand this to make my own bread...

I have a tutorial with photos I made for someone on bread making. I could format it as a pdf and send you a link, or link it on here somehow if you want me to?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ...I would like to downsize...

I need to do a wardrobe audit and sort out more of a capsule wardrobe. I have stuff that doesn't fit and to be honest it probably never will - it just takes up space and makes me feel guilty when I see it...

The guilt is what stops a lot of people from getting rid of things.

However:

- You have already spent the money. It is not going to come back, or you are not going to get more value from having an unworn item in your cupboard

- You could possibly sell the item and make some of your money back

- You could donate the item and let someone else get the use from it.

- It is taking up the space of an item you do want to use (my husband had stuff in his wardrobe he never wore. The wardrobe was so full it was causing the ironed items he wanted to wear to come out crushed. He was giving space to things he didn't like / need / want to the detriment of things he valued).

Also, think about the cost of storing all these unworn items especially if it is stopping someone from downsizing. You can even work out the cost.

- Length of your house x width x no of floors = square footage / meterage.
    - Then look at the price of your house and then work out the cost of 1 square foot / metre.

How much is it actually costing you to store an unused item?

Also, if you are living in a bigger house just to store more stuff then you are losing opportunity costs. Just think if you move and downsized and can release some equity / have cheaper living costs you could use that free money to travel, save, invest etc.

The other thing is the emotional cost (sounds a bit mad this one), but think of the mental energy you waste every time you open your wardrobe and feel guilty when you see those items.

Go on you know you want to get rid of them :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 8:37AM
    Options
    I think I am already living as simple a life as I can. I don`t have a mobile phone and only use the internet at home in my free time. I have done the full konmarie works, after joining the amazing and helpful KM thread, every single room, my wooden storage outbuilding and my garage, which is my wood hobby space and holds my house maintenance stuff. Yes, I am widowed and now do all the house maintenance jobs on top of hobbies. I have given away the equivalent of a small house, bar furniture, not expecting anything in return but as per the release of chi, I have so far received three cheques over the whole time I have been doing KM and two were unexpected

So energy starts to flow after KM and it releases stuff psychologically too and it helps one to live in the moment, which is not stressful

I have earthy hobbies, to do with plants, bread, wood and wool, all grounding. Spinning, carving and running my allotment, which feeds me just about the whole year around. I make bread all the time, usually sourdough or long fermentation, have done for 50 years, my grandad was an artisan baker, so it must be in the genes

I could get simpler, ie could get rid of more clothes and some of my nordicware baking forms and spinning wheels and carving equipment but I won`t. These things bring joy and so they are staying. Why should I go simpler now, at my stage of life, it could be enforced on me when I am 20 years older, so now I will enjoy what I have

The only way in which I will now adhere to konmarie principles is one in and one or two out, that will maintain chi, that and moving things around in the house so that feng shui principles also apply
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I rather follow the Arts and Crafts maxim ' Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful'.
    I believe that the 'beautiful' extends to gifts that make me think of the giver fondly. 'Useful' may include things that I don't use often, but that when I do, are just right.
    Personally I avoid buying 'stuff' by making best use of what I have.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too, am not sure I can make my life much simpler, but I'm going to have to try :/

We really really don't have sufficient funds coming in and I can't realistically see a way to improve that. I thought I already did all the frugal stuff, cook everything from scratch (I cook for a living at the moment) Him indoors is retired on a state pension and does food garden, we need to run a car as we are rural (we have got two at the moment, but we've already decided when one goes the way of all cars, we won't replace it, but it's paid for etc) Do charity shops, bargain hunt etc. although of late I've even rather given up the CS because I don't need anything.

I've been tidying recently, I won't say decluttering, because I love my clutter :D and I really can't see I need anything new clothes wise in the next few years. I've got a cupboard stuffed full of craft stuff I need to go through still...partly have trouble because of my arthritic thumbs and partly don't have much free time it's not being used but getting rid feels like the ultimate admission that I'll never have any free time/crafty fun again.

Because of the pension age changes I have eight more years to tough it out through work wise, and I am counting the days through gritted teeth!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Katieowl wrote: »
    . I've got a cupboard stuffed full of craft stuff I need to go through still...partly have trouble because of my arthritic thumbs and partly don't have much free time it's not being used but getting rid feels like the ultimate admission that I'll never have any free time/crafty fun again. !

look after your thumbs, mine started to get arthritic and painful, when that happened I bought thumb splints, I often go to bed at night wearing a support and I have three different types, they have certainly helped my thumbs to retain their shape. I have one big drastic rsi support for when my hands ache and they are miraculous. Also don`t carry eg a plate in one hand, there is tremendous pressure on the thumb joint if you do.

I also found the craft clearing a scary concept but as someone on the KM thread said, the making of that item is what gives the pleasure. I have thrown hm crafted items away when I realised that this was indeed true. I also alternate crafts according to my aches and weaving will be a another new craft to explore in time, no thumb pressures.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As part of my simple living philosophy I like to cultivate a living space that is calm and peaceful. So no extraneous clutter in The form of ornaments, family photos on display etc Instead I will have a couple of nice plant or some flowers. Plants also improve air quality.

I don’t have the TV blaring out as “wallpaper”or mindless chatter on the radio. I am selective in both my viewing and listening habits. I enjoy the peace and quiet.

I also reduce “white noise” to a minimum. The washing machine and dishwasher are used at night.......on the economy tariff of course.....the kitchen is far enough away from bedroom not to disturb me.

Less clutter certainly means less work and effort but i think it is also more “restful” and less “overwhelm” to the senses.

I havent reached a point where I think I can’t simplify further. Maybe I’ve not been radical enough yet but I’m not ready to do a Steve Jobs and live with no furniture. I do like a few creature comforts. :rotfl:

This week I emptied a cupboard/bookcase which stood in an alcove In my dining room. I will be donating it. I love the empty space where it stood, it makes the room look much bigger and brighter.

Recently I went through all my glassware. I bought a few new really nice pieces from Ikea and donated my rather large collection to a charity shop.

I have stopped saving things “for best”. I have got rid of all the mismatched “everyday stuff” and now every day is “best”. :rotfl:

Less is definitely more.......more style, more quality, more freedom, more time.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Spider, no I didn't mind getting rid of clothes, it was mainly work stuff I had, I kept the two dresses as we have two weddings to go to. It was harder to get rid of my craft stuff as I knew I'd miss it now I'm retired.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    look after your thumbs, mine started to get arthritic and painful, when that happened I bought thumb splints, I often go to bed at night wearing a support and I have three different types, they have certainly helped my thumbs to retain their shape. I have one big drastic rsi support for when my hands ache and they are miraculous. Also don`t carry eg a plate in one hand, there is tremendous pressure on the thumb joint if you do.

I have compression gloves, and just got a thumb splint from hosp. Going back in Jan for the other one cos was out of stock. I thought I might buy the other and maybe a spare pair until I found out they were £40 odd quid each :O I had a steroid injection into the right a couple of months ago which has helped loads, and am due the other done on 19th after my last market before Xmas so I can rest it for a couple of weeks. I have a drawer full of aids and openers now, and my mummy <3 bought me some special shears which are amazing.

I'm going to sort this cupboard out after Xmas, and see if I can figure some stuff I CAN do, I struggle to even thread a needle because of the pincher grip needed, but there must be SOMETHING I can do...maybe look at more sewing gadgets?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure