Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• mummytogirls
    Options
    Oh HHOD, its sounds like a very stressful time for you guys at the moment, the parking ticket is just the cherry on the top.

Tomorrow is another day though, hopefully it will be more positive xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Willowtree222
    Options
    Sorry it’s a down day. I’d be annoyed about the parking too x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Oh HHOD, its sounds like a very stressful time for you guys at the moment, the parking ticket is just the cherry on the top.

Tomorrow is another day though, hopefully it will be more positive xx
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Sorry it’s a down day. I’d be annoyed about the parking too x

Thanks. It's because I'm still tired from the wedding that I'm not coping well I think. When I'm tired I get miserable really easily. I expect I'll feel better tomorrow :o.

Today was my big Mr T shop and I overspent a bit. I spent £88 instead of £74 but we seemed to have run out of lots of things. Still I used to spend over £100 in the bad old days :eek:.

On the plus side I did book my £5 hair cut for Monday.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    We finished DS1's UCAS form tonight too so it's ready for him to send. I have mixed feelings about that. I want him to go so that he can become qualified for a good job, but I'll miss him and I'm worried about how he'll cope because of his anxiety and panic attacks :(.

In addition DS2 wants to go to America next week. He wants to meet someone about some kind of business deal. He's never even been to London by himself let alone America :eek:.

He's 22 but he's a bit naive and I'm worried about him getting mugged, shot, or being cheated out of all his money through shady business deal. He only leaves his room to go to the food shop normally. How is he going to find his way to the airport, let alone America? :eek:

I may be being overdramatic, but he wants to go to New Orleans. Isn't it a bit rough there?

Kids never stop giving you stress, no matter what age they get to :(.

So my list of worries is getting longer now. It includes worrying our work is drying up, the parking ticket, BIL, DS3 going to uni and now DS2 going to America :(.

I thought writing it all down might help, but I'm not sure that it has :(.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Is it feasible for DS to actually go to America in terms of having the funds available and a valid passport etc?

I don’t think you are being overdramatic - that’s a huge step up from grocery shopping :eek: Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I'm sorry HHOD but I'm thinking scam....

Most business deals involving different countries are done by Skype nowadays unless you are a big corporate organisation and then you would probably fly over there.

What do you know about this business deal? Is it something that DS could legitimately run as a business?

I know he is an adult but I would be asking more questions, my son is 21 but still very naïve so I would have to step in.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Wikipedia says this - New Orleans. In 2011 there were 16,761 crimes in New Orleans including 200 murders, 163 forcible rapes and 14,013 property crimes. With a murder rate of 57.6 per 100,000, New Orleans had the highest murder rate of any U.S. city with a population of 100,000 or more in 2011 and ranked 28th in the world in 2014.

Crikey there is even a murder map - http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/page/new_orleans_murders.html
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Yes DS2 does have a valid passport and funds to go there. He gets PIP for his mental illness and earns money from his online business.

He won't say much about why he is going. He told DH he was going to take travellers cheques. DH thought maybe if we wrote down some safety instructions etc he might read it. He won't take advice very well because of his condition :(.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh HH I have no advice I am useless :o Sorry

But sorry to hear there's so much going on x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    That's the problem particularly with adult children. When dd was 20 she went and worked for a charity in ny projects. This year she visited New Orleans for the first time and was grand. Remember, the bits you hear about are always the bad bits. I grew up in belfast, was born at the start of the troubles and things could get hairy but I was always ok. In the early 90s, I had some work in Brixton. My mum, also from belfast, was worried that that was where the riots were!
    Has he access to any form of credit either personally or via his on line business?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback