Money Owed

Hello - I'm hoping you can provide info/advise.

I am owed £2,225 by a landscape gardener who received the money to buy slabs, never did and then declared himself bankrupt. Timescales are:

12.04.17 - I requested the monies be repaid (clearly something was wrong with the situation).
28.04.17 - I had a Claim issued to the Defendant via an Online Money Claim
05.05.17 - During the 14 days of the Claim being issued the Defendant declared himself bankrupt.

The insolvency report show £0 assets so currently the prospect of receiving a penny is highly unlikely I appreciate. My local police force, Trading Standards and Action Fraud are all investigating the situation/Defendant.

The Online Money Claim that was issued before the Bankruptcy still has a status of 'Issued' and I have not yet 'Requested Judgement' against the Defendant.

What is the possible course of action I should take - I assume I wait until the Bankruptcy is discharged - am I able to Request Judgement and pursue the debt after their Bankruptcy?

Comments

• VitaHQ
    VitaHQ Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hello - I'm hoping you can provide info/advise.

I am owed £2,225 by a landscape gardener who received the money to buy slabs, never did and then declared himself bankrupt. Timescales are:

12.04.17 - I requested the monies be repaid (clearly something was wrong with the situation).
    28.04.17 - I had a Claim issued to the Defendant via an Online Money Claim
    05.05.17 - During the 14 days of the Claim being issued the Defendant declared himself bankrupt.

The insolvency report show £0 assets so currently the prospect of receiving a penny is highly unlikely I appreciate. My local police force, Trading Standards and Action Fraud are all investigating the situation/Defendant.

The Online Money Claim that was issued before the Bankruptcy still has a status of 'Issued' and I have not yet 'Requested Judgement' against the Defendant.

What is the possible course of action I should take - I assume I wait until the Bankruptcy is discharged - am I able to Request Judgement and pursue the debt after their Bankruptcy?

I recently found out that my wife is pregnant and the money will be needed!
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I feel that your money maybe lost. Once a bankruptcy is discharged all debts are written off and creditors cannot pursue its illegal for them to do so. I believe if there are any funds remaining you can apply for % but it's not likely there will be much and that's down to the official receiver. I would expect the worst tbh your unlikely to get anything back!
  • VitaHQ
    Thanks for your reply. On the basis that no judgment has been given yet, could it be that there is no official debt that has been noted prior to the Bankruptcy, which means their is nothing to be written off?

Technically could a debt be pursued with a judgement post-bankruptcy?

Do you know the legal standpoint here?
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I'm not sure about the legal standpoint but I'm sure there will be others that will post soon that will know.
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ultimately any money owing to creditors prior to a bankruptcy order is written off by the making of a bankruptcy order unless the debt relates to fraud. If the behaviour of the bankrupt individual in incurring a debt suggests a level of misconduct then you as a creditor should also report your concerns to the Official Receiver.
  • VitaHQ
    Thanks - I've notified the Official Receiver of the situation and fraudulent/misconduct behaviour. I'm hoping that the defendant won't be discharged from the particular debt and/or that the bankruptcy will be extended or have restrictions placed on it.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You're not likely to get this money back.
    If he declared himself bankrupt, it's likely he included this debt in the bankruptcy if he was a sole trader and you're probably a long way down the list of creditors for that amount.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2017 at 9:03AM
    I can't see how the debt will survive the bankruptcy in this situation I'm afraid. And I wouldn't hold out too much hope of the bankrupt getting a BRO purely based on the circumstances in which your debt came to be.

It would need to either be a material amount compared to the other bankruptcy debts or the circumstances in incurring debt would need to be particularly reckless or cynical on the part of the bankrupt.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    VitaHQ wrote: »

From the timescale you show, this is a bankruptcy debt and you have no right of action, either now or at any time in the future..

Any monies due to you will be paid by the Official Receiver. Don't expect any.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure