We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have finally managed to pick a crop from something I have actively grown on the allotment!

Sounds laughable but in the previous year most things I've either left too long or theyve failed as a crop/been eaten by something else. The only things I've ever harvested to actually consume are things that were already growing there (fruit trees and bushes).

So I'm suitably chuffed with myself for growing and picking my amethyst french beans (blanched and frozen I might add) an borlotti beans - the simplest of things to grow but its made my weekend LOL

I also came home with a basket full of cooking cherries so today will be pitting those, and cooking them off for jam and a cherry BBQ glaze.

I also have one lone tomato come up in the growhouse and there are also chillies coming through too. My summer squashes seem to be doing very well, and I think I've finally identified another of the Unknown Curcubits that got planted out sans label - butternut squash!

We have been predicted storm and rain today and I am quite literally praying that it actually happens!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Great feeling isnt it CAFC girl? :j

My first courgette has appeared and I know from previous experience.........once they start.......they take off massively.

I made rhubarb crumble cupcakes in the week. :D

Need to have a look at something else to do with rhubarb.

My strawberries have finished rather suddenly but we got loads more than last year. Tomatoes look to be the next glut and my chillies and sweet peppers are getting flowers on them and look really healthy.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Great feeling isnt it CAFC girl? :j

My first courgette has appeared and I know from previous experience.........once they start.......they take off massively.

I made rhubarb crumble cupcakes in the week. :D

Need to have a look at something else to do with rhubarb.

My strawberries have finished rather suddenly but we got loads more than last year. Tomatoes look to be the next glut and my chillies and sweet peppers are getting flowers on them and look really healthy.
    Rhubarb jam is lovely.
  • sam.4000 wrote: »
    Rhubarb jam is lovely.

Ive never made ANY jam before lol so that would be a challenge. Worth thinking about though. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ive never made ANY jam before lol so that would be a challenge. Worth thinking about though. :D

Rhubarb and strawberry is really good too. If you do make jam, cut the rhubarb quite short so it isn't strandy. The strawberries stop it being too acid, while the rhubarb makes the strawberries set better than on their own.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 6:34PM
    Great to read all the news. Everyone is doing so well. I was down at the plot this morning as it was cooler here and the good news is I have my first tomato - just the one ripe but others will follow shortly. So no tomatoes from the supermarket for months now.

And I have my first handful of runner beans! So exciting - they will be on the menu this evening. Some of the squashes are about 8 inches across - so all good.

I've never grown elephant garlic before and I thought I'd put some in - anyway I'd left some leeks in and thought I'd get them out as I thought they looked a bit odd. And there were the elephant garlic and they are huge! One is 31cm around! Apparently they are best roasted and the pulp spread on some nice bread.

So everything is coming in thick and fast now. Only mushrooms will be bought from the supermarket now. I just hope there are no disasters now - I have to be away for a few days and neighbouring allotmenter is watering the greenhouse for me. Fingers crossed.

I know I talked about it last year - so sorry for repeating but there are newbies on the thread who could benefit. I have a good tip for water cress. If you can get your hands on some fresh (not out of a bag) watercress - take a few pieces and pop them in water for about 3 days. They then develop little roots - pot them up in a loose draining compost. I used a third of perlite in my pots. You will have water cress for the summer. I have 3 pots on the go. Mine were from Ocado (natoora range) but if you have a farm shop near by that would work. The bagged stuff seems to just go soggy. It saves me pounds as I'm a great fan.

Happy growing everyone.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I've got watercress (from seed) - my latest craze, so I'll be forced to buy another salt glazed sink to house it in style (though in my condition when I can barely lift a bucket of water, I'm not sure how I'd manage a 50-100kg sink...)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • At last, some rain.

Lots of it. Even the windowboxes are feeling heavy, so that's a good sign.

I shall be happy about this and refuse to start thinking about blight for at least two more days. :D

The Idiot Cat, however, will no doubt disappear into the meadow without a trace in a couple of days, though - nobody ever told me how tall clover could grow if left to its own devices and occasionally rained upon.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am beyond relieved that we've finally had some rain here, proper 8 hours long saturating rain. My water butts are filling up very nicely! Hopefully this will tide the allotment over till Friday when we go up.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning Everyone
    Lovely rain here all night so everything is well watered. That should really bring things along. I'm sure the allotment will be fine CAFCGirl. But the weeds will love it as well.

Isn't it nice to your own watercress Unrecordings. That's the thing about growing your own - no sprays and bagged food which goes off so quickly - just a quick walk around the garden and you have a lovely fresh salad.

I keep a couple of tall, three, tiered planters in the back garden for salads - four different lettuces then a small raised bed for rocket and basil and the other herbs are just planted in with the flowers. Cress, ginger, turmeric and tomatoes in pots and the rest of the big stuff is down the lotty. I'll pop down and check the greenhouse later - hopefully bring back a few more ripe tomatoes.

Also some courgettes and pumpkins on trellis in the front garden. So there's always something around.

Hope the rain is good for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport