Home Insurance Cashback Success

Comments

• davie
    davie Posts: 34 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Buildings and Contents insurance - Just worked out fairly reasonable price of £145 minus £70 cashback via Quidco for More Than Buildings & Contents insurance for a 3 bed semi. According to the 'More Than' site, they offer 'free' contents cover. However, when you get the quote, it actually seems to include contents cover that is being charged for. I clicked on the 'remove' button next to Contents cover and the overall insurance price then went down from approx £270 to £145 and still shows the Contents cover as being included with the buildings cover. This was overall the best price I could find (checked with Gocompare first (also got £1 cashback - just for requesting a quote from Quidco !)
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Stephenbw wrote: »
    I paid £457 last year and not due for renewal until 30th June so I'm not sure what this year's figure will be.

However I'm confident that it won't be less than the £181 I've just paid with Norwich Union for buildings insurance + free contents, and that's before the £80 cashback with Quidco that finishes tomorrow (30th April).

So it looks like I've saved £360+ for a couple of hours 'work' :j:T:j

I did the same with TCB, but keep chasing your £80. I don't think NU like paying out too quickly!
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    davie wrote: »
    Buildings and Contents insurance - Just worked out fairly reasonable price of £145 minus £70 cashback via Quidco for More Than Buildings & Contents insurance for a 3 bed semi. According to the 'More Than' site, they offer 'free' contents cover. However, when you get the quote, it actually seems to include contents cover that is being charged for. I clicked on the 'remove' button next to Contents cover and the overall insurance price then went down from approx £270 to £145 and still shows the Contents cover as being included with the buildings cover. This was overall the best price I could find (checked with Gocompare first (also got £1 cashback - just for requesting a quote from Quidco !)

Wish I had realised that, it may have worked out cheaper and only one policy to manage.
  • davie wrote: »

I've tested this folks and it doesn't happen for me. I'll monitor this thread and if anyone else is finding this problem i'll check the sitaution with more than.
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • johnmc
    johnmc Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    davie wrote:
    when you get the quote, it actually seems to include contents cover that is being charged for.
    Happened for me as well. Unchecked the "free" contents and the buildings cover went up.
  • davie
    davie Posts: 34 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    johnmc wrote: »
    Happened for me as well. Unchecked the "free" contents and the buildings cover went up.
    Yes, just checked using a neighbouring address for a quote and looks like they've fixed this now. Sorry.
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    rainmac wrote: »
    Hi, this isn't a massive result but I'm chuffed :D Our b&c renewal with Abbey was for £279.52. After lots of searching I found a quote for £220 via Swinton plus will receive £30 cashback from them after 90 days. Also went through Quidco which also mentions £30 cashback so not sure if I may get £30 via Quidco too or if that is me being plain greedy :o I am more than happy with £220 minus £30, about £90 cheaper than existing insurer :T

Cheers guys, without MSE I wouldn't have known how to go about looking for the best quote :D

Received £30 cheque from Swinton and £30 quidco validated so should receive that soon.
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    hansi wrote: »
    I did the same with TCB, but keep chasing your £80. I don't think NU like paying out too quickly!

I've had mine confirmed now:beer:
  • uzubairu
    uzubairu Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I've managed to use comparison websites and Quidco since 2007 to get good deals on my buildings and contents insurance.

2006 (June)
    Moved into a new-build, 4 bedroom, semi- detached house, struggled to find competitive insurance buildings and contents (road wasn't on the databases).
    We stayed with our current insurers.
    Nett Total = £398

2007 (June)
    Buildings with Barclays - Premium = £110 / Cashback = £125 :j
    Contents with Legal & General - Premium = £133 / Cashback = £60
    Nett Total = £58

2008 (June)
    Buildings with HSBC - Premuim = £109 / Cashback = £50
    Contents with Co-Op - Premium = £122 / Cashback = £70
    Nett Total = £111

2009 (June)
    Buildings and (free) Contents with More Th>n - Premuim = £214 / Cashback = £75
    Nett Total = £139
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anyone seeing any big cashback at the moment for contents only?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family