Home Insurance Cashback Success

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 25 March 2014 at 1:01PM in Insurance & life assurance

This discussion relates to cashback success for home insurance as mentioned in the

Cheap Home Insurance Article

To report your success click reply

To discuss home insurance or ask a question read this thread
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• I was very pleased with the deal I got on last years home insurance. My premium from Lloyds was £52.50 but I got £120 casback from quidco. That's not money saving that's money making to the tune of £67.50 :)

This year I only got paid £18 to take out home insurance. :(
  • AIG paid £90 cashback for my home/contents policy via quidco. Applied in February and got money beginning of June. Very happy :D
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Last year we moved and as we were in rented accomodation for a couple of months we had a rebate on our buildings insurance.

The premium was £124.30 less the £120 cashback from Quidco resulting in a net amount of £4.30. After paying for 4 months we received a rebate of £87.43. This meant that we were paid £83.13 for having building insurance for 4 months:D.

My wife still cannot get her head round cashback sites:confused:
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • LouiseF_2
    LouiseF_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    I've done this too - I think I got paid about £65 to take out a policy with Barclays! I've also discovered that's it's possible to take out an insurance (home, health etc) via the cashback sites, cancel it (there's the 14 day cooling off period) and still get paid the cash back! It's a bit of a faff and you MUST remember to cancel the policies, but if you've got the time it's worth it!
    Also, once you have your insurance quote via the cashback site, phone the provider up and negotiate a lower premium. This won't affect your cashback.
    Hope this helps!
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Before LloydsTSB 'saw the light' :D it was entirely possible to make a decent profit on home insurance (and me and my family did!). Now, we generally pay a (very) small net amount for our home insurance. Co-operative Home Insurance seem to be very competitive for contents and Asda Finance for buildings (Quidco rates of £70 and £68 respectively).
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • antbarson
    antbarson Posts: 33 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Well, I was all set to pay up today for my Esure home insurance renewal at £138.55 for home and contents with 4 years no claims...all in, not a bad price, considering AIG wanted nearly £200 :shocked:

But after a bit of careful negotiation thought Topcasback, just got that down to 87.50, which is a bit of a bargain...it wasn't the cheapest, that was Lloyds TSB at £75 but Norwich Union covered more and do some ripping deals when you have more than one insurance though them...and my car policy is up in a month or so.

All in, fairly happy! :smiley:

P.S - Thanks Martin for putting it in you weekly news letter otherwise I'd be £50 worse off! :T
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    I used the AIG quidco route for my apartment.

Contents only - £81.90 premium

Cashback £90 from Quidco

Profit £8.10.

Tracked and paid no problems at all.

Not as good as saving4jesus but I was v happy.

The cover offered was a lot better than tesco who I was insured by the year before.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • supedaj
    supedaj Posts: 7 Forumite
    LouiseF wrote: »
    Also, once you have your insurance quote via the cashback site, phone the provider up and negotiate a lower premium. This won't affect your cashback.
    Hope this helps!

so that means you get cashback when getting a quote? Surely that cant be right?

You only get cashback after a policy/quote has been accepted and payment has been made? Else I could sit around and make money all day long just by getting quotes from sites via cashback sites...?
  • Belnahua
    Belnahua Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    I got a renewal quote from my buildings and contents that totalled £520 between the pair of them.

So I found a quote from Churchill for £240 combined. Our house is not a standard construction and near water (albeit we're 30 metres above its level), but it meant that I could not take most insurers online deals.

Then I found Churchill were doing an £80 special through TopCashBack, and this morning it became payable, so I've transferred the money into my account, making my insurance this year net £160, instead of £520.
    A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.
  • LouiseF_2
    LouiseF_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    supedaj wrote: »
    so that means you get cashback when getting a quote? Surely that cant be right?

You only get cashback after a policy/quote has been accepted and payment has been made? Else I could sit around and make money all day long just by getting quotes from sites via cashback sites...?

Sorry if that wasn't clear - you do have to accept the quote and pay for it to get the cash back. However, it's usually possible to improve the quote with a phone call during the cooling off period and have your payment altered.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback