Money Moral Dilemma: Should we change our wills to benefit our stepchildren?

Comments

• hannerrbabes
    hannerrbabes Posts: 197
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think you need to be asking this question.
    Also, the teenagers would be pretty !!!!ed off if, when you die, they receive only 10% of the inheritance each for example and you son receives 70% for himself.
  • I would say that it very much depends on what provisions their actual father has made for them, as they will then get 2 inheritances and your blood son will only get the one. This would also be unfair, on your son.
  • Rufus20
    Rufus20 Posts: 37
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That depends on if your step children will get money from their birth father?

If they do then it isn't fair on your son! He only has you to give him a gift!
  • This isn't really a moral dilemma, it's just a choice. Unless your biological child has made financial commitments based on the assumption he will inherit a certain amount, if you feel it would be better to split equally then do so.
  • jillmarie
    jillmarie Posts: 13 Forumite
    You say that you brought assets with you when you married where did they come from? Your son was a toddler, did his mother die leaving you with her life policy? If his mother contributed to these assets he should get more than the rest. Did/will their father leave them anything if so will they share with your son?
  • Ebreaky
    Ebreaky Posts: 1 Newbie
    If you needed money for urgent care and attention, would it be all the children that would contribute, or just your biological child?
  • Super_Stomper
    Super_Stomper Posts: 116
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it would be a wonderful idea to split things evenly amongst all 4 of your children. You have brought them all up as your family.
  • Does your son know about the original will? If he does then you need to talk to him about this as it would be extremely unfair, IMO, for you not to.
  • debbiesmum
    debbiesmum Posts: 50 Forumite
    As you state - you have been part of your wife's childrens lives for 30 years. Presumably you didn't make any difference in the love and attention you have given them over the years. Why would you make a difference when you die? They are all "your family".
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    If the husband had entered the marriage with a fortune that he had inherited from his late wife (the son's mother)'s family. (Assuming she had died young), would it be fair for most of that money to now go to the step children. After all the previous wife had died leaving one child who she would assume would inherit everything, now the husband remarried and intends leaving it to non blood relatives.

(I know I am hypothetically assuming that the wife died young and had a family fortune, but hypotheses are allowed here.)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure