Finding a job after being a SAHM for 20+ years

As the title says I'm hoping to get back into work after being at home for the last 20+ years but I haven't got a clue where to start. Most part-time jobs I've looked at want references and the 2 companies I worked for before having my children have both stopped trading! So where do I start? :D

MM

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    What about doing some volunteering at your local charity shop/playscheme/school?
    You could learn new skills, be able to show a potential employer that you're capable of working regular hours and get you some recent references.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The other source of references is your current network. Have you helped out at school? Then it's the teacher / head / chair of PTA. Do you go to church? It's the vicar / minister. Are any of your neighbours on friendly terms and professionals?

These will mostly be character references, but if you haven't got employment references these are the next best thing.

Remember that generally an employer is just trying to check that you HAVE been a SAHM rather than in prison for that period.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Firebird
    Firebird Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Madmonk,
    I know the feeling, I have stayed home with my children for the past 14 years but am not needed quite so much and am looking to get back into employment and like you don't know where to start. Places I worked before no longer exist. Moved a few years ago and neighbours keep to themselves annd I am very much "out of the loop".
    I will watch with interest for all advice and ideas going.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I started by doing Mystery Shopping on both an S/E and PAYE basis. I also did the books for my OH's business, then started taking on some merchandising jobs as well as other S/E jobs. Eventually I couldn't work enough hours because of family commitments, so registered with an employment agency (I have a wide range of accounting and customer service skills). I spent about 6 months 'temping' (most companies were pleased to find a temp whose first language was English) before being offered a perm place at one of the companies I was temping with.

Good luck - remember being a SAHM needs it's own set of skills which are transferable and often in demand.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure