The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

30 kW Nissan Leaf

Comments

• ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,186
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    But, if you are more concerned about being green, then Ecotricity might be the better bet as the electricity is 100% green, and profits are used to increase green generating capacity. But it probably is more expensive in money terms. On the other hand, you will be saving so much in petrol costs you may not notice!
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Does using air conditioning in the summer significantly reduce the Leaf's range?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • We have a 30kw Leaf.
    Hubby says you'll be lucky to get 110 out of it on a 70mph motorway drive, and thats during summer, that will reduce the colder the weather gets.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • iolanthe07 wrote: »
    Does using air conditioning in the summer significantly reduce the Leaf's range?
    3 miles off a full charge if run, so not really.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    Enjoy the Leaf..

BEWARE OF ECOTRICITY T&Cs.. Fair Use of 52 Free Charges per year. (1 per week) after the 1 free per week you pay the normal £6 per charge.

I was about to change to them as my supplier but in the end it worked out cheaper sticking with Eon and stumping up for the Motoway charging when needed.

Exactly! my dual energy bill with Ecotricity would be £800 higher than my current supplier :eek: and for this you would get 52 charges, only to 80% remember so £40 worth of electricity for £800, good deal eh?
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 9:38AM
    Stageshoot, Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of Ecotricity's T&Cs on this and I should not need quite as many as 52 of their charges in a year. I will be going with Ecotricity because they only supply renewable energy and I can afford it. My mains electricity use is quite low now as we had a 4kW solar system with Immersun water heating add on fitted last year. And, next year I'm intending to get battery storage and a water recycling shower.

Checking on line, Nissan may be upgrading the Leaf to a 40kWh battery next month.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ecotricity - note that IKEA seem to have kept their chargers free, so that could be an option for you.
    If you find a rapid charger on the way to your daughter's house, maybe it would be suitable for a coffee break and a good old charge. If you're planning to charge at your daughter's house, via a 3 pin plug, it would be very slow - you'd need to be staying overnight to get enough charge to travel home.
    I've got a Renault Zoe, which has a 22kWh battery - Renault have just announced a 41kWh model - this would make your journey a bit more comfortable range-wise than the 30kWh Leaf, but it's Fiesta sized rather than Focus sized.
    Summer is no problem for electric cars, and in my experience overall, you could get 1.5x range in summer versus winter. Summer = use aircon, but batteries perform better in warmer temperatures. Winter - use lights, wipers, rear heated windscreen, heater (remember, electric cars have to MAKE heat), and the batteries perform worse in the cold. Winter is the time when range really gets squeezed. And 60mph really will take you a lot further than 70mph. Sorry!
  • NigeWick
    Forumite
    almillar wrote: »
    If you find a rapid charger on the way to your daughter's house, maybe it would be suitable for a coffee break and a good old charge. If you're planning to charge at your daughter's house, via a 3 pin plug, it would be very slow - you'd need to be staying overnight to get enough charge to travel home.
    I've got a Renault Zoe, which has a 22kWh battery - Renault have just announced a 41kWh model - this would make your journey a bit more comfortable range-wise than the 30kWh Leaf, but it's Fiesta sized rather than Focus sized.
    There's charger at South Mimms before I hit the M25 car park. Then there is a fast charger about 400 yards from her house. The other daughter lives a little closer and there is a fast charger half way and the town's Waitrose also has one. At present I've got a Toyota Yaris and it's big enough for my needs and a Fiesta size vehicle would be fine.

I saw that Renault are coming out with a larger batteried Zoe, and, Hyundai are soon to produce an all new EV called the Ioniq that looks good. For half a moment I looked at the Mercedes B class EV but one can't even use fast chargers on the thing.

Decisions, decisions......
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bartelbe
    bartelbe Posts: 553
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The big issue for me with the leaf and other EVs is the dying battery problem. Batteries build up a memory, after a whiled they won't fully charge. This can be made worse by the manner in which the battery is used, lots of rapid charging or partial charges.

I wouldn't buy an EV only to have to face a huge bill in the 1000's to replace a dead battery pack. I wouldn't buy one secondhand for the same reason, and I suspect it must affect their residual value.
  • NigeWick
    Forumite
    bartelbe wrote: »
    The big issue for me with the leaf and other EVs is the dying battery problem. Batteries build up a memory, after a whiled they won't fully charge.
    My understanding is that Nissan will repair/replace a battery pack if it loses a certain amount of capacity, up to 5 years for the 24kWh and 8 years for the 30kWh. I have not checked other manufacturers yet.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport