PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unfair deposit deduction

Options
All,

To keep it short, finally got a email from my estate agents/landlord asking to take £100 from the deposit for 'kitchen unit damage', and below is the link to the image that shows the evidence for the deduction,

http ://imgur. com/a/FEfdK

Now both damages shown are on one of the kitchen units, behind the cabinet door, one shows the edging of the laminate cabinet peeling up and one corner of the cabinet damaged slightly on the edge, cabinet in question is below the sink.

Now i believe £100 is not reasonable for this damage shown to me in the check-out report, what are your thoughts?

Two other reasons why im reluctant to agree to this deduction is one, there was no picture of the inside of the cabinet taken on the check-in inventory, as i believe the corner damage is prior to me moving in.

My second reason why i'm reluctant to pay is a separate issue to the deposit is, the landlord never took a gas safety check in 3 years, which i understand is a different matter but its just sods law hes trying to be unreasonable.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    dispute it with the scheme that holds the deposit

report the lack of GSC to the HSE
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't get that link to work even when I remove the spaces.

How did the damage occur? How old are the kitchen units? The onus is on your landlord to prove the deductions are reasonable and he is not entitled to betterment. If you believe the deductions are unfair then dispute the deductions using the deposit scheme, it's why the schemes were introduced.

See Deposits: Payment, Protection and Return for further information.

As for the GSC, you're right that's a totally separate matter. If the lack of GSC bothered you that much you would have written to your landlord requesting one during your 3 year tenancy and reported him to HSE if he still refused to have an inspection carried out. I am not condoning the landlord's actions (or rather inaction) on this matter just pointing out that there's no point starting a bun fight about it now.
  • Logicaled
    Options
    Make sure you remove both spaces infront of the colon and after the .

Damaged occured just from taking the washing machine out hit the side of the cabinet corner and took little chip away.

I have found the same cabinet on B&Q for £35.

I was only notified of the GSC issue in the last days of the tenancy due to the Estate agents bringing it to my attention, while in the tenancy i knew nothing of it.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    I thought I had removed both but I can view it now.

http://imgur.com/a/FEfdK

If you've damaged then you have to pay for the damage. Whether £100 is fair is another matter. Have you told the landlord that you have found the same unit for £35?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you cause the damage?

As for the GSR, you were clearly not bothered about the risk to your life during the period of your tenancy, so why bothered now? It is unrelated to your deposit issue.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £35 from B&Q
    £5 for delivery / petrol
    £40 for fixing and fitting
    +VAT comes to around £100, so not unreasonable to me.

Presumably you could have fixed it prior to checkout for £35 yourself though?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £35 from B&Q
    £5 for delivery / petrol

are you charging extra VAT on top of what is already paid to b&Q and the petrol station?
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    £35 from B&Q
    £5 for delivery / petrol

The landlord is not entitled to betterment i.e. he does not get new for old. Some money has to be deducted for the use the landlord has had from the existing unit.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 4:42PM
    Options
    He can't charge you for the cost of a brand new replacement door because of the rules on 'betterment'

So, if a cupboard door is meant to last 10 years and it cost £100 then if it's 6 years old he can only reasonably expect to charge £40.

The pictures don't show the whole unit but from what I can see they're of a very cheap type and look to be pretty old so the argument could also be made that they're at the end of their life anyway under betterment.

Just raise a claim with whichever deposit scheme it was held with that £100 is a spurious amount and does not reflect the true vale of the damage caused under betterment rules. Don't waste time disputing it directly with the LL or LA.

The Gas safety certificate is a separate issue though and needs to be raised seperately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure