Wireless Internet without a Fixed Landline

Is it possible to get wireless internet without a fixed landline, to use from residential address?

Is there any IP's that do this? :confused:

Many Thanks

Comments

• TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Dunno where you are, but try Mynow.co.uk and see if there's coverage in your area.

They do it
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • TNG wrote: »
    Dunno where you are

Harmondsworth, West London (UB7)...Tried them, but No luck :(
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    that's strange. i'm not far from there and that's who I'm with. i thought they did most of Middlesex...

Sorry
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Got a friendly neighbour who would share his connection with you?

If they are next door run a cable through a window and share the connection costs.
  • Anyone know of any others?
  • Virgin Media ?
  • Nope.

You're at the mercy of locally-organised operations - one of my village's residents decided to go into partnership with a few other local people and, using his industry contacts and technical knowhow built up a regional wifi ISP providing broadband via directional wifi antennas on the roofs of our houses (with eventual connection to MANY DSL hookups in Bicester, all load balanced, very professionally done, entirely transparent to the end user etc)... Unless you can find a similar project, you're straight out of luck really, because there's just no money to be made in these kind of endeavours unless there's no alternative (fixed line) broadband available from the big players.

Finding a friendly neighbour and putting a fiver in his hand every month is probably going to be the most viable route for you to pursue.
    !
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Anyone know of any others?

Virgin Media if your in a cable area.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,719
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Technically, the "find a neighbour" approach is actually illegal, although I'm not aware of any cases of residential internet sharing that have made it to court.

Another option is to use mobile-internet. As someone who is not technical, I can certainly recommend the T-mobile web'n'walk plus tarrif with free USB modem.

Check to see if you are in a high speed area - http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/c...reetcheck_link (look for 3G - High Speed Internet coverage)
    Where the 3G signal isn't available, and you're not in the coverage of a t-mobile hotspot then will automatically use the 2G signal which works at the speed of a dial-up connection.

If you are in a high speed area, this is a great way to get on line without any type of fixed phone.

Signing up to the offer below gets the modem free, 11 months at half price with the 18 month contract and £25 cashback is available via quidco.com. All of this cashback taken into account means a total cost of £18.75/month equivalent for High Speed Mobile Internet with a limit of 3GB per month.
    11 months half price: http://www.mobiles.co.uk/t-mobile-3g-usb-modem.html
    £25 cashback: http://www.quidco.com/mobiles-co-uk/
  • Stuart_W wrote: »
    Technically, the "find a neighbour" approach is actually illegal, although I'm not aware of any cases of residential internet sharing that have made it to court.

Never knew that. What legislation is this under? Does it mean it's illegal to run an insecure wireless network and if so, what is considered 'secure'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure