Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here

Options

Comments

• GingerStokie
    Options
    Hi. This is my first post, so please be kind.

The following journey works on paper, but have not yet tried it in practise. Also the costs include a Young Persons Railcard.

Doncaster to Northampton with one Split (I'm looking into the economics of using several Splits, and will eventually look at Splitting Singles).

The Saver Return costs £33.20
    Important Note: Where does your train stop?

If the train stops at Burton-on-Trent, Split the ticket here.
    DON-BUT £14.65 + BUT-NMP £10.50 = Total cost £25.15

If the train doesn't stop at Burton-on-Trent, Split the ticket at Derby
    DON-DBY £11.15 + DBY-NMP £16.75 = Total cost £27.90

Saving of, at most, £8.05 with a YP Railcard.

This can be used on any day, but may be cheaper to go to Virgin advanced deals if you have time.

Addtional Note: This assumes a physical change at Birmingham New Street. Recent Engineering works may scupper these plans during such works.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    loopy_lass wrote:
    after asking to split my ticket between york, manchester and liverpool the other week i was met with a grunt and a "why"! its the same price, "oh no it isnt says i, i save £9. The chap very said well ill do it this time and reluctantly gave me my tickets. The people behind me had overheard to conversation and did the same and the chap had a real tantrum.

Anyway, went back to station this week to do the same and theres a big sign up saying we no longer split tickets. Can they do this? have the rules changed?

They have to sell you any ticket you ask for, but they do not have to find the cheapest combination of tickets to get from A to B. Unfortunately some people don't understand that and get annoyed with the staff when they won't work out the cheapest combination of tickets for them, and the station staff also know that a lot of people don't know the rules, such as the train needing to stop at the split station, so there will be aggro when they get an excess fare.

So next time don't mention 'split tickets', just ask for a ticket from York to Manchester, and then when they have sold you that, ask for a ticket from Manchester to Liverpool. There are many valid reasons why you may want such a combination of tickets, such as a meeting in Manchester before your meeting in Liverpool, which is why they have to sell you whatever you ask for.
  • malcolmwilliamson
    Options
    I was refused the following split ticket yesterday at Hatfield station,First Capital Connect run. They've supplied without question many times previously:

Hatfield (Herts) <>Hadley Wood (£2)+ Zones 1-6 CDTC(£2)

(Prices based on my New Deal discount card.HW is in zone 6.The benefit of the split is the £2 New Deal child Zones 1-6, £2.80 less than for other discount cards. Same amount cheaper than a Hatfield <> London inc. CDTC)

Instead I had to buy the Hatfield<>HW, get off at HW where the office was unmanned and the FCC machine doesn't cater for New Deal cards.
    I bought the nearest equivalent (Disabled discount) for £4.80.

Have written a long closely argued letter to complain.

Any bets on whether FCC will
    a) reimburse the extra £2.80 + apologise for the inconvenience+ promise it won't happen again , or
    b) charge me with illegally travelling on a Disabled discount card

I'll post to let you know.
  • AngLangS
    Options
    Cardiff to Birmingham open return is £50.70

Cardiff to Gloucester Saver Return £16.50
    Gloucester to Birmingham £21.80

Total using split ticket is £ 38.30 ticket is valid for early morning rush hour!

Better still do Bridgent to Birmingham for £34.30 (seems to be valid for same journeys)

Mad! track equivalent to Highway Robbery!
  • AngLangS
    Options
    Cardiff to Birmingham open return is £50.70

Cardiff to Gloucester Saver Return £16.50
    Gloucester to Birmingham £21.80

Total using split ticket is £ 38.30 ticket is valid for early morning rush hour!

Better still do Bridgent to Birmingham for £34.30 (seems to be valid for same journeys)

Mad! track equivalent to Highway Robbery!
  • monkeyspanner
    Options
    Barnstaple to Cardiff Standard single £30 plus
    Split Barnstaple to Bristol Temple Meads £11.50 + Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff £2.50. £14 total.
  • weymuffred
    weymuffred Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    apologies if this i in the wrong bit but as I have stated in the DFW my family and i may be travelling to see my dad who is dieing. We live in Weymouth and will be going up to Manchester. I have tried to get my head round this ticket thing but I just cannot work it out, there is 3 adults 3 children. I would really appreciate help in working out the cheapest way up there.
    Have you got a job yet? :think:

NO? Then :shhh:
  • chelvic
    Options
    can anyone find me cheapest train travel return from birmingham to luxembourg, thanks
  • kondormid
    Options
    Here is a bit of an explaination of how to do this split ticketing just incase someone is having problems.

I want to go to Skegness from Landywood, return Mon - Fri holiday. I want to start out at 7am so off I trot to thetrainline and get a quote of prices...
    2 adults and 4 kids
    train leaves at 7am, gets to Skeg at 11.38.
    Suits me fine.
    Now first the price without any family railcard...
    £204.80
    OK thats a lot of money, so I go back and add the railcard which costs me £20

Thats better, £106.60 (£126.60 inc my rail card)
    So far I have saved myself about £80 but I can do better.

Clicking on the depart time on thetrainline gives me the operator, which happens to be central trains. Typing central trains map into google links me to central trains map, and I download it and open it with a pdf viewer.

Now I can see the journey better, I can see the trainstations it passes through I can try to split the ticket by buying two tickets, after a bit of trial and error I get the following results...

Landywood to Tamworth = £30.40 (2 x 15.20 singles)
    Tamworth to skeg = £73.70
    total return = £104.10

Landywood to Burton on Trent = £27.00
    Burton on Trent to Skegness = £59.20
    total return = £86.20

Landywood to Derby = £30.10
    Derby to Skegness = £44.50
    total return = £74.60

thats £74.60 + £20 for my railcard = £94.60. Way bellow the original £204.80 and a fair ol whack below the £126.60 if buying one ticket.

The reason for this is the "saver return" policy. I can travel in my own area before 9am and still get them. If I go past Derby then I can not. Yet I hit Derby just after 9am and so can buy two saver returns. Which a it happens, is still cheaper than a later saver return on an unsplit ticket.

So the tip here is, if your travelling from the west midlands and have to pass through Derby, test to see if buying a split ticket to and from their is cheaper.
  • nanamags
    nanamags Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I go to Peterborough from Liverpool frequently and the journey takes 3.45 and costs £58.00. I managed to save aprrox £10.00 and saved 30 minutes by traveling to Nuneaton by Virgin and then catching the Central train service [which starts in Liverpool] to Peterborough. Not a huge saving but every little helps as Mr T says.

;)
    :hello: N:hello:A :hello:N :hello:A :hello:M :hello:A :hello:G :hello:S :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure