MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion

Comments

• Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    Hey folks

We've built a new eBay Local Deals Mapper to help show local pick-up only bargains on handy maps.

If you've got 5 mins to go and have a play with it, and let us know what you think, and especially an little errors or glitches we may have missed, that would be fab.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/ebay-local-deals/

Thanks

Jenny

Humour me here please.

Is MSE seeing and storing all that nice postcode information it is harvesting from the tool? Very useful especially linked to user names.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Wicked - i found loads of items i fancied at giveaway prices. Well done!!!

anniecave wrote: »
    a keyword version would be useful.. instead of selecting a category being able to enter exactly what you are searching for.. eg fiat punto or grandfather clock or piano

That already exists - its called Ebay search.
    custardy wrote: »
    It works,but you dont really need these 'tools'
    you can set up these searches with eBay and save them
    also you can then set up email notifications on these searches

What do you type into Ebay search if you juist want to see everything that is finishing?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    techspec wrote: »

What do you type into Ebay search if you juist want to see everything that is finishing?

well you can go into advanced search,then select ending with 1 hour etc
    however eBay still require a keyword/category
  • its pretty good
    As Martin says - please be nice - there is no such thing as a stupid question ! ;)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Amanita wrote: »
    Humour me here please.

Is MSE seeing and storing all that nice postcode information it is harvesting from the tool? Very useful especially linked to user names.

Nope we dont do that, its not what we're about (and if we ever wanted that info we'd ask you) plus what user names - the tool is not linked to the forum, we don't have your user name in it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Nope we dont do that, its not what we're about (and if we ever wanted that info we'd ask you) plus what user names - the tool is not linked to the forum, we don't have your user name in it.

It would be a simple capture though if people clicked through the link when they were logged in.

But thanks for the clarification that you are not using it in this way.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • FrugalLina
    FrugalLina Posts: 466
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I tried it and it works well - great tool!
    31.5/100
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have used another similar site for some time, http://www.localbargainfinder.co.uk/
    Will try yours, thanks.
  • QuackQuackOops
    QuackQuackOops Posts: 2,667
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There are already several such sites that do this such as BayCrazy (which has all kinds of Ebay searches, not just local ones) Although this works fine, why would MSE want to be bothered with it?
  • toffe
    toffe Posts: 431 Forumite
    There are already several such sites that do this such as BayCrazy (which has all kinds of Ebay searches, not just local ones) Although this works fine, why would MSE want to be bothered with it?

because they are affiliate linked, all of these "tools" are, so when you find something you like and buy it the owner of the "tool" gets some affiliate commission.
    ......"A wise man once told me don't argue with fools because people from a distance can't tell who is who"........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure