BT complaints

Options

Comments

• Mike_Samuel
    Mike_Samuel Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2009 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Hi
    I am now on my 64th telephone call with the high level complaints team.
    I have had the 3000 KBPS speed as stated by the BT sales team "3 meg speed raising to 3.5 meg in November - for my area" for 2 days only. The speed was increased and then dropped back to 900 to 1050 KBPS the following day.

My IP Profile is 1250 KBPS, therefore the maximum BT can achieve is 1100 to 1150 KBPS.

I have received a "deadlock letter" from Shirley MacKie at the BT Executive Complaints Desk which states that we are in deadlock, BT will not release me from the contract to find an ISP that will supply a decent download speed and the letter states that BT will not improve on the current download speed.
    I have found Ms MacKie's attitude absolutely abysmal and if it is representative of BT as a whole, then I do not wish to remain with a business that holds customer satisfaction and customer service with such poor regard.

The letter from Ms MacKie is dated 21st August, reference number VOL011-22462491012.
    Ms MacKie can supply my e mail address and telephone numbers if you wish to discuss directly.

Regards

Mr M Samuel

Since posting this issue I have had a response from "The BT Representative" who visits this website, and, like all the staff within BT he has stated that he can not help with the situation. It is not surprising that the reply was NOT listed on the main forum page but was sent directly to me and not posted.

I am still in the same position with BT, a very sub standard service, still in contact with The Asian Helpdesk and have escalated the issue to the Communications Ombudsman.

I AM A VERY DISSATISFIED BT CUSTOMER, all I want is the service I was promised and I am paying for - nothing more nothing less.

BT - just give me what I am paying for.

Mr M Samuel

September 28th

Today the IP Profile is 1000KBPS, actual download speed 956 KBPS.

BT sales stated up to 8 Meg download speeds and in my area 3 Meg rising to 3.5 Meg in November.

I am now up to 81 telephone calls and engineers know their way to my house without a Sat Nav, I have also had to change three BT home hubs.

The BT Moderator who visits this site has also stated that "he can not help", the moderator posts responses, where he can help, on this site. He posted his negative response where the general public can not see it.

I am still with a poorly performing ADSL line and BT are still taking my money.

An overview of today - another 4 telephone calls from BT.

Call one - To say an engineer is on his way to check the wiring again.
    Engineer confirmed nothing wrong - the previous visits also stated that.

Call two - A call from a BT call centre asking if I wanted to "upgrade my system and have BT vision". BT have sent my details to a call centre - ON A DATA DISC - and I have been cold called - YET AGAIN.

Call three - From BT high level complaints desk - absolutely a waste of time. He read my notes and stated that he would escalate this to the high level "complex problem" engineering team, the issue has been with them for 2 months.

Call four - was to say he will telephone me again tomorrow ?????.

When will BT supply what I am paying for ??????.

Mr M Samuel

THE LATEST ADDITION TO THE SAGA

I am now up to 106 telephone calls with BT, 6 engineers visits and I still do not have a broadband supply I can rely on.

I have been told I have to wait for the RAIN ENGINEERS ( fancy name for technical team ) to write a report - NOT FIX THE PROBLEM JUST WRITE A REPORT, this will take a week. In the mean time I do not have a broadband connection, I have been without my broadband for 3 days. High Level Complaints, Technical Helpdesk and The BT representative who reads this webpage have all failed to progress this problem.

I am still in the same position I was when I joined BT - 106 telephone calls ago - I JUST WANT WHAT BT TOLD ME THEY WOULD SUPPLY AND WHAT I PAY THEM FOR EVERY MONTH.

Regards

Mr M Samuel

I am now up to 121 telephone calls, an average of 10 minutes each ( many have been much longer ) that equates to nearly 21 hours on the telephone and another 2 engineers visits.

But I am still in the same position - BT are absolutely hopeless, and the Executive Complaints team are so arrogant.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Unfortunately the email I sent to 'ben' was returned..it seems he is fed up of receiving all the MSE complaints and has changed his address.
    Typical BT style.
    As he stood down from BT over 14 months ago and is now CEO of Alcatel-Lucent, I would not expect him to still be reading his BT emails.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • lolaclare
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]I have a problem with BT which dates back to Dec 2007 but has just come to the surface again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I moved house in Dec 2007. I had been with Talk Talk in my previous house and wanted to use them again for phone and internet but knew that I needed a phoneline to be activated in order for this to happen. So I called BT and arranged this. The woman I spoke to mentioned nothing about a 12 month contract. I immediately (the next day, I think) called Talk Talk to get everything set up with them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You can probably guess what is coming: I received a huge bill for cancelling my ‘contract’ early with BT. I immediately complained because no 12 month term had been mentioned to me over the phone. I spoke to someone in the Moving House dept who apologised profusely and said the charges would be waived if I had not been told about the 12 month contract. After this I kept getting reminders in the post to pay the outstanding amount so I followed up this phonecall with several emails. I communicated with someone called Roxanne Bray in eContact Customer Service. She assured me that it would be investigated by the Call Observation Team. As they recorded most phonecalls, this team should be able to trace the recording of my call and check what I was told. I was thrilled with this as simply listening to the call would prove I had not been informed properly about the contract and cancellation charges. Roxanne said she would let me know what the result of the investigated was.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then, over a year passed and I heard nothing by email or post. All requests for payment of the bill stopped and I never heard back from Roxanne. A couple of weeks ago I received a demand for payment of the original amount! I immediately emailed the residential services email address I had previously been in contact with querying the letter and asking what had happened with the investigation. The emails I received back all ignored the fact that I had been told the Call Observation team would be investigating the recording of the phonecall and simply emphasised that the terms and conditions were made clear on the BT website and in all adverts. I had no access to the internet at the time as we hadn’t set it up with Talk Talk yet (as we needed a BT line first!) and didn’t refer to any advert. My only contact with BT was via that first phonecall in which I was not told the vital information. The new person I am in correspondence with – John Scott – says I have to pay the charges and has not given me any information about the so-called ‘investigation’ that was supposed to have taken place. He says that it has now been passed onto a collection agency (hence the letter) and I need address any enquiries to them. But obviously they will not be able to help.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If the BT company representative could help me sort this problem out I would be very grateful. It is not acceptable to say that I will get my charges waived if I was not given the correct information and that the Call Observation team are investigating and then just wait over a year before passing it onto a collection agency without informing me at all about what is going on. Was it investigated at all?[/FONT]
  • lolaclare
    Options
    An update on the above, I just had an online conversation in the Chat facility on the BT website and was told the following:

Aideen (15:53):
    yes this query was investiagated and we confirmed the charges are correct, when you start a line with BT the is a min term of rental for 12 months.

Me (15:54):
    Was the recording listened to? Because I am certain it wasn't mentioned during the call. I would like to hear it.

Aideen (15:55):
    there is no call recorded, we do state that some calls my be recorded.
    you did call us on the 16/02/08 and the charges were also maintained at that time.

Aideen (15:56):
    I will also have to maintain them, they are correct.

Me (15:56):
    I have emails from BT from April 08 saying that they are about to investigate the recording and will let me know the outcome.

Aideen (15:56):
    yes, it was investiagated and the charges are going to be maintained.

Me (15:57):
    So the fact that it was not mentioned to me makes no difference? How can enter into a contract without being told?

Aideen (15:58):
    Once you used the telephone line you then except the terms and conditions that apply to that line weather or not they are stated or otherwise.

Can this be true? So technically their terms and conditions could have been that I have to give them my first born child and I'd have to do it under these circumstances even though they didn't tell me.

I have seen that other people who were not told about the charges and or contract got the charges waived. I can't post links as I am a new user but here are quotes:

CHRISSYG: they tried to get a large cancellation fee from me but i told them i wanted to here the recording were i was told i was entering a 18 month contract, they rang a week later to say the fee had been waived because they could not locate the recording

scoopy2scoops: Default success!
    Just got a letter from BT that the £70 cancellation charge has been cancelled
    stated on bill "unaware of cancellation charges"
    So just call them up and challenge them

What am I doing wrong?

They have no recording of the call, which is a setback because that would prove that I was never told about the 12 month contract or cancellation charges. But if what Aideen says is true, that would make no difference so why have other people been successful in complaining on these grounds and why would they even both investigating it if it makes no difference?
  • Crystaltipps_2
    Options
    A representative from BT responded to the PM I sent the next day and advised that there was a phone conversation in the beginning of August where my partner hung up on BT (in anger). We were on holiday on the date in question, so I am certain this did not happen.

Since advising BT of this on Tuesday morning, and emailing copies of the letters that we have sent, we have heard nothing......
  • Pootle72
    Options
    I've had the most horrendous problems with BT, today being the final straw after some 30+ phone calls trying to transfer my line from Tiscali. They have repeatedly broken promises and what should have been a very easy transaction has turned into a saga that Kafka would be proud of. I'm never able to speak to the same person and no one seems to want to take ownership - and now Tiscali tell be that BT have not been honest with me. THe only way I seem able to complain is to write in, but this doesn't sort my immediate problem. Does anyone have a specific name I can contact?

Thanks
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Pootle72, If I can be of assistance with your complaint please PM me back and I will be happy to help! Thanks Natasha BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • fiscalfreckles
    Options
    I feel I am going round in circles with BT at the moment, trying to help out my elderly Father in law. He has a fault on his line - it just cuts out mid call and he can no longer hear the person at the other end (though they can hear him.)

We have bought a completely new handset - no difference, reported this to BT, line tested - no fault found, had an engineer call who replaced the socket box, no difference, second engineer called, couldn't find anything. Charged him £125 callout.

The fault is still happening, but it is intermittent, and never happens while an engineer is there or while on the phone to BT fault reporting!

Managed to get BT to refund the callout charge, but where do we go from here?

Have reported the fault still there, they ask all the same scripted questions all over again, then say they will send an engineer, but if he finds nothing there will be a further £125 charge. And I know what will happen, another huge bill and fault still there!

What can I do?
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi fiscalfreckles

Certainly sounds like a frustrating problem, pm me with some details and I'll take a look for you.

Stuart
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • argosgold
    argosgold Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 18 September 2009 at 5:26PM
    Options
    I recently moved to a new(ish) built house in a small village. BT have sent 3 engineers so far. The 1st didn't turn up. The 2nd turned up with incorrect exchange information. The 3rd didn't turn up.

I have, so far, made 6 calls to BT, 1 to order a phone line, 1 to check whether they had, in fact, processed the order, 1 to complain that the engineer didn't arrive, 1 to complain about incorrect information passed to the engineer, and a further one to confirm that the correct information had been passed to the next engineer. The 6th call, I'm currently waiting for an adviser...

I was assured that if there were a problem, I would be contacted. I received no phone call, and the engineer failed to turn up today. It's costing me a fortune in mobile bills to sort out their problems, and I'm getting nowhere.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you can give - unfortunately, moving to another company isn't an option. They insist that only BT can install a phone line.

HELP!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport