PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

River Cottage Style freebies

Comments

• Bigpaul_4
    Bigpaul_4 Posts: 13 Forumite
    nope I have a deer in the freezer but it wasnt road kill

It hung on the back fence for a few days mind you

:)

I hope you are going to eat it!!!!

Very delicious
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've always taken the view that if you eat meat, you probably ought to have had an occasional go at the more unpleasant side of the process. But it's really not that bad - like most things the thinking about it is worse than the actual doing.

I forgot to mention pigeons last time - another wonderful treat if you can get them, but you do really need a gun for this.
  • Bigpaul_4
    Bigpaul_4 Posts: 13 Forumite
    I've always taken the view that if you eat meat, you probably ought to have had an occasional go at the more unpleasant side of the process. But it's really not that bad - like most things the thinking about it is worse than the actual doing.

I forgot to mention pigeons last time - another wonderful treat if you can get them, but you do really need a gun for this.
    I couldnt agree more. We all (or most of us anyway) eat meat and use animal products yet we seem to pretend that there is, as you put it, an unpleasant side to it. Whenever i turn my hand to butchering a deer or a rabbit or a pigeon i have a much greater appreciation of the animal when it comes to eating it. It almost brings a certain level of spirituality back into it, reconnecting with the land and our food sources. Almost like the joy of eating your own home grown produce
  • Now I am thinking about growing stuff to eat in my garden - had a successful crop of lettuce this year - thinking about runner beans and strawberries for next year- any other suggestions
    Always on the lookout
  • " I couldnt agree more. We all (or most of us anyway) eat meat and use animal products yet we seem to pretend that  there is, as you put it, an unpleasant side to it."

As a good friend of mine said, if God had wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of food!

Sorry to all those veggies out there but I'm laughing too much to hear your protests...
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

we were sitting in the kitchen minding our own biz when a man came up the path with a deer over his shoulder!! walked in and threw it across the table,

when they got me down from the ceiling it seems the old fart did this guy a favour and the guy shot the deer on his land as it was eating his veggie patch,
    awwww

so beleive me, ive seen the whole process and couldnt eat a bite of it
    its all sectioned up and jointed in the freezer and the head is being stuffed for posterity

its not hanging on my wall and the old fart had got to get through an awfful lot of venison.

:D
  • You could make burgers out of it - would be a shame to waste good meat but would avoid the meat looking too much like it did when you previously saw it
    Always on the lookout
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    it wont go to waste, the sons and hubby will demolish it in no time,

just had a load of mackerel given to us and a huge salmon ;D ;D now I dont mind eating those. ;D ;D
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    did I hear right  did someone once tell me that wild rhubarb was poisonous

is it true cos theres loads in our lane and im scared to pick it

i've heard this too...also how do you know what's wild and whats not? ???
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    this stuff doesnt even look slightly annoyed let alone wild ;D ;D ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts