Thistle's Mission

Comments

• Off to SW in a minute, think I've done ok according to the bathroom scales, which may be vastly different from the ones at the meeting :o

I'm not going to put ebay on my things to do today list - I have some more paperwork to sort, make some Dr appts, walk Thistlepup, cut and dye my hair and pack for the weekend. If I have time and feel inspired then I might do some listing, but at the moment I have enough to get done.

I didn't sleep well at all last night, if I get enough done I will try to have a little nap as I take my DD to cadets tonight in a town 1/2 hr away and don't want to fall asleep driving home.
    :happylove
  • I lost 4 1/2 lbs according to the SW scales, but I don't think it's an accurate reflection as last week I went at night right after dinner and this time I went in the morning before I'd had breakfast. There was a lot of waiting around - 45 mins while everyone got weighed and then the lady went around the circle berating the people who hadn't lost anything or gained and overly praising those who did lose something, unless it was under 1lb and then she wanted to know why it wasn't more.

The people there seem quite nice and I am going to give it a good go until after Xmas but I don't honestly know if it's for me. The diet is fine, but there is so much time wasting in the group. Unfortunately there are no other groups in our town, so I don't know if another leader would be different. Maybe being held accountable is worth it alone - time will tell. I certainly don't want to be berated by the leader, she reminds me very much of Marjorie from Fat Fighters on Little Britain. There were plenty of people there who had lost over 4 stone so the group obviously works.

Just having a late breakfast and coffee before I start on my hair...
  • I just managed to get two big shopping bags full of reduced fruit and veg from Te!!o, less than £5. Lots of things we normally can't afford to buy. I'm going to have to freeze some of it like the strawberries and raspberries, they probably won't last until Monday but most of it will, and the frozen berries will be great in smoothies.

I rarely get there at the right time and this time. None of the regular reduced section bullies were there, I had the place to myself so was able to have a good look. :beer:
  • I'm off on my guitar weekend - two whole days of not having to be responsible for anyone else! :j
  • I arrived back last night, and after a wonderful weekend, I'm very tired and sore. It was only a 2 1/2 hr train ride, shocking that it has had such an effect. I have a Dr appt on the 30th, I am worried about how swollen my ankles and face area at the end of the day. It's only been happening for a couple of weeks and it makes me wonder about the heart thing. I look and feel about 10 years older than I did last month...

I was able to sell some CDs over the weekend so came home with nearly as much money as I left with. :j I'm going to put it in the bank when I post something that sold on ebay last night.

I have no great plans for today, I'm not feeling up to doing much. Aside from the post office, I'm only planning on doing a bit of laundry and walking Thistlepup. Think I'll be running on coffee to even get that done... :coffee:
  • Just had an extremely disappointing phone call.

We were given a car early this year by my FIL as they were upgrading. It's a 10 yr old car that has been taken care of, they have had it since new and always had all the recommended work done. It's a lovely car to drive and we have been thrilled with it.

It was due for its MOT which we all expected it to sail through. I just had a phone call from the mechanic and it needs a minimum of £600 to pass the MOT, but also will need a few more things fixing in the near future. It's one of those what do you do situations... Is it worth spending what will be close to £1,000 on a 10 yr old car? We've done it before with other cars thinking 'it will be good now for a long time' but bits keep needed doing and they became very expensive pieces of junk that were given away or sold to the scrap people. I'm sure my DH will want another quote but the mechanic is a trusted one, I do not think for a moment he is trying it on.

We had set aside £200 'just in case' it needed some minor work but do not have £600 plus to get it repaired. I am totally gutted and have no idea what to do for the best. :(
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Thistle, so pleased you had a brilliant weekend and great news on selling the CDs - are they your own CDs (ie your own music)? Hope you're feeling better soon though - I'm sure the Dr will sort you out on 30th and put your mind at rest. Just take it easy in the meantime...

Rubbish news about the car though - I totally sympathise. It sounds just like my situation. My car is 13 years old and I have spent hundreds on it over the years just getting it through services and MOTs. I was lucky this year although there's now an ominous noise coming from the exhaust. In the past I've had to put costs like this on the credit card which I can't do anymore. A relative did help me out the last time I had a huge bill however (£600 too!). Do you need your car daily? Is it possible to keep it off the road for a little while while you save some money towards it? You seem to do really well with making bits of money and all those bits add up - look at your CD sales over the weekend and your eBay sales.

In my case I have accepted that the next time my car needs some major work I'm just not going to be able to afford it any longer. At first I thought this would be the end of my life as I know it! But it'll just mean I have to get creative. I have an old bike and there's always the train and buses. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different and you both may well need your car for work etc. Perhaps you have a relative who can help? Whatever happens I'm sure you'll be able to sort it but in my opinion it is always worth getting a second opinion.

Take care and hope you are ok xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • Thanks Smolly! At the moment my heart is so heavy I don't know where to turn - it seems as soon as things start looking up, something happens to put us behind again. The extra money I earn from ebay, gigs, cd sales (yes they are my own CDs :) ) busking etc all goes towards basic living expenses. We have already cut these down to the bone. I fear my dresser fund is going to pay for more electricity within the next hour and I am cursing myself for donating clothes last week that could have been sold.

We use the car 4-5 times a week, without it my husband will have much less work and I will not be able to play any gigs, both which contribute greatly to our weekly income. We live in a small rural town and the public transport basically stops running at 6:00pm, so while we could get where we need to be, we couldn't get home again. We moved here as a fresh start and are now too far for family to help out with driving. We do not have any friends we could ask to ferry us places.

The places we need to be are too far to cycle safely in the dark, or safely at all in the winter. I sold my bike trailer but would not have been able to carry my PA system and guitar on it anyway, nor cycle the 25 miles and back again to get to my regular pub gigs. With my health problems, I am often not well enough to get on the bike at all.

What might happen is that we sell our car for parts on ebay and use that money plus the £200 and money from anything else we can find to sell to buy a junk car with 12 months MOT, the kind that will likely not pass again without work next year, meaning you buy another junker with 12 months MOT rather than fix the one you have. It's a cycle we thought we were out of once we had been given our FIL's car and were truly not expecting to be back in.

We can live without a car, we have done it many many times before, when the kids were younger and we were in a larger town. The lack of extra income would hit us very hard though, so we are trying to find a solution that keeps us safely on the road. I don't know if it can be done this time.
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm sure you will find a way Thistle. I can see that you definitely need your car. It isn't an ideal situation is it having to buy cheap cars that only last a short time - we've had to do that ourselves. I've gone from driving a large astra one year to a tiny old micra the next but you do what has to be done.

I'm absolutely sure something will turn up. Please stay positive. I know it's hard - I've had a rotten few days but I came out of it and I'm sure you will too. The important thing at the moment though sounds like your health and getting to that doctor's appointment.

xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • Thank you again, Smolly. I really appreciate your support. :heart:

Now that I've had some time for it to sink in, I can see that even if we can't manage another car, it's certainly not the end of the world. Life may be a bit more difficult, but we have always found a way to manage and we will again. There are plenty of things to be very grateful for and I must concentrate on them rather than a temporary lack of transportation. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport