Is MSE Credit Club safe from cyber attack?

Equifax suffered a data breach this year with thousand of people put at risk. Clearly their security processes were inadequate. Also this year, Experian has sent out out mistaken emails to MSE Credit Club members. There was no reported security breach but it does not inspire confidence.

MSE Credit Club members need to submit a substantial amount of sensitive information to register for the service.

How do we know that the MSE Credit Club is safe from a targeted cyber attack?

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We don't. Same as any company who asks for personal info. Do your own risk assessment, then decide. It's no different from applying for bank accounts, mortgages, credit cards, online shopping, buying stuff using your debit/credit card, writing cheques, paying cash. They all involve an element of trust.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MSE CC don't have your details though? They retrieve the information from experian when the report is generated. Unless I'm mistaken?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 November 2017 at 3:46PM
    nic_c wrote: »
    MSE CC don't have your details though? They retrieve the information from experian when the report is generated. Unless I'm mistaken?

This is from the MSE Credit Club FAQS so it sounds like they have some personal financial information.

How do I register?
    You can register on the Credit Club registration page. The first page sets up your Credit Club account, then we will ask for some details about your financial and family circumstances so we can assess your affordability alongside your credit score.

Once we've done this, we need to do some further verification checks to ensure you are who you say you are and that we are giving you the right credit score information. For this verification, we pass you over to Experian, our credit reference agency partner in Credit Club
  • You know what I think it is bomb proof!
    Every time I try to log in it tells me that my password is wrong - go through the rigmarole of changing it only for the same thing to happen next time.

I will stick with Noddle for now.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RG2015 wrote: »
    This is from the MSE Credit Club FAQS so it sounds like they have some personal financial information.

They do. See section 2 of MSE's Privacy Policy.

Basically, they retain the information you give them during the sign up process and thereafter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure