Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 241Posts
    • 1,275Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £121.22
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 70.7% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | June '17: £154,432.16

Page 10
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 6th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Kim kim
    my wife tends to insist on tipping as she used o waitress back in the day. thing is we only try to do cash tips not on card and we have found we carr virtually no money with us now so recently have not tipped as much. to be fair tips should not be left by habit and only if deserved really.
    Originally posted by ianbar0
    Itís because I used to be a waitress back in the day that Iím against tipping & would rather see a fair set wage.

My mother also used to be a waitress, when she developed breast cancer & had to have a full mastectomy she faced 6 months on a wage she couldnít live on without tips - as a single parent.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 6th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Itís because I used to be a waitress back in the day that Iím against tipping & would rather see a fair set wage.

My mother also used to be a waitress, when she developed breast cancer & had to have a full mastectomy she faced 6 months on a wage she couldnít live on without tips - as a single parent.
    Originally posted by Kim kim

I don't think that's going to happen because you don't tip.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 6th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I don't think that's going to happen because you don't tip.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    If customers didnít top up restaurants low pay then good staff would go elsewhere & earn minimum wage doing something much easier.
    Waitressing is physically hard & the hours are as unsociable as they come. Youíll always be working when people are celebrating.
    • Anonymous101
    • By Anonymous101 10th Nov 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Anonymous101
    Although I don't really agree with tipping in principle I still find myself doing it every now and again.

For me the restaurant should pay a fair wage and the tips shouldn't be needed to top up earnings.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 10th Nov 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    adonis10
    Although I don't really agree with tipping in principle I still find myself doing it every now and again.

For me the restaurant should pay a fair wage and the tips shouldn't be needed to top up earnings.
    Originally posted by Anonymous101
    Agreed. I think they should also be far more transparent about where the service charge ends up - if they can spare the space to say on the menu they can find a little extra to say "all service charges will be paid directly to the waiting staff", "all service charges will be distributed amongst the staff at the manager's discretion" or words to that effect. I see the service charge as just another income stream in the absence of words to the contrary.
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Nov 17, 11:11 PM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    missile
    There are many workers on minimum wage who do not get tips.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Nov 17, 3:39 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    takman

Originally posted by Anonymous101
    So how much exactly is a fair wage for someone who carries plates of food and writes down an order/enters it into a computer?. It's a low skilled job which requires little training.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    Nick_C
    So how much exactly is a fair wage for someone who carries plates of food and writes down an order/enters it into a computer?. It's a low skilled job which requires little training.
    Originally posted by takman
    You've obviously never worked in a restaurant. Or if you have I expect you didn't last long.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 12th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 5,638 Thanks
    warehouse
    Tipping for bang average service is simply ridiculous. For me to tip it needs to have been an exceptional meal with exceptional waiting staff. Let me know where I can go to expect that.
    Pants
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 12th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    glider3560
    You've obviously never worked in a restaurant. Or if you have I expect you didn't last long.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    You could say that about many minimum wage jobs, which are far more physically demanding than a waiter/waitress but don't get tips.

• takman
    • By takman 12th Nov 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    takman
    Wait....what was that you said in another thread:

Resorting to personal attacks does nothing to advance your argument.
    So not only are you unable to explain why you don't agree with my comments your also a hypocrite
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 13th Nov 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 7,155 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Agreed. I think they should also be far more transparent about where the service charge ends up - if they can spare the space to say on the menu they can find a little extra to say "all service charges will be paid directly to the waiting staff", "all service charges will be distributed amongst the staff at the manager's discretion" or words to that effect. I see the service charge as just another income stream in the absence of words to the contrary.
    Originally posted by adonis10
    This is key... If the menu says there is a service charge - then I'm assuming that the price of the dish is the cost of making it plus profit margin and the x% is the supplement for having it brought to me. So why isn't it a set amount per course/per person? It doesn't require any more work to deliver a £25 steak/lobster combo than a £6.50 salad so why is the waitperson getting £2.50 for one and 65p for the other? I can just about accept it in France - where it's universal and clear. Plus in a cafe - you pay it if your drink is brought to the table and not if you stand at the bar for a quick coffee - you really are paying for an extra service/convenience.

So I will try and ask subtly if the charge actually goes to the waiting staff - either directly to the individual or pooled between a whole shift. If I don't get a reasonable answer - I'll ask for it to be removed and tip in cash when the service has warranted it. If the service didn't warrant it; I'll ask for it to be removed. So what if I look stingy to them - I'm not likely to be going back
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 21,264 Posts
    • 10,210 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Originally posted by takman
    Not necessarily true (although depends on where you go).
    Some staff are able to advise on wines, ingredients, taste I.e. spicy ness and even the methods used in slaughter.
    • YDARB
    • By YDARB 15th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    YDARB
    Always tip. You see it a lot more in the north than south
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 15th Nov 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    adonis10
    Always tip. You see it a lot more in the north than south
    Originally posted by YDARB
    Always? Even if the service is crap?

Is "service charge is added to the bill" as common up there as it is down south?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 15th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    It generally is if the party size is six or more. It can still be removed though if the service was sub-par.
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 16th Nov 17, 8:04 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.
    Originally posted by benten69
    i would imagine that youre probably paid a lot more than waiters and waitresses in a cafe for your job - forgive me if im wrong

i can live comfortable these days due to a few lucky decisions, so whenever im out i'll always leave a tip to make their day a bit better.

i can still recall a time when after finishing school early all i could find was work in a diner near my home. long days watching the road outside and hoping that there was more out there for me than what i was doing. tips weren't really thing back then.

my daughter worked in a bar while at university and tips were a good boost to her wage so its good to help others like her

tipping culture is one of the best things we've got from the states along with clint eastwood films
    Last edited by alankershaw66; 16-11-2017 at 8:06 AM. Reason: added tips werent a thing
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Nov 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    Nick_C
    ... tips weren't really thing back then...

tipping culture is one of the best things we've got from the states
    Originally posted by alankershaw66
    Tipping has been around for a very long time, and the practice pre-dates the creation of the US.

As a child, I remember my mum tipping in restaurants, taxis, and the hairdresser. When I was old enough to go the Barber by myself, mum would give me the money plus a tip (think it was 6d).

At Xmas, she used to tip the Postman, Milkman, and Dustmen.

I used to get Xmas tips when I did it a paper round.

There is a long tradition of tipping in certain jobs to ensure and reward good service. Employers in those sectors paid their staff a pittance, knowing that the tips would far exceed the wages.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 16-11-2017 at 8:48 AM.
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 16th Nov 17, 10:16 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    thanks nick i stand corrected, think my post was a bit too mcuh of a generalisation.

i suppose there was a bit of tipping when i was younger but i never got anything in that diner. perhaps i was just a terrible waiter though

interestingly it worked the other way for us growing up a lot of the roman rd local traders knew my mum and her financial situation so would often offer us a bit of a discount on certain things. i think she was embarrassed but couldnt not take it
    • Iamzee
    • By Iamzee 18th Nov 17, 5:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iamzee
    Out of generosity, yes. Happy to share whatever I have.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,694Users online

Martin's Twitter