Humax Boxes

Options

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 8:48AM
    Options
    For Freesat each tuner sends a voltage and frequency to a port on the LNB. that selects horizontal or vertical polarization and which downlink frequency to use. Each selection is a multiplex just the same as for Freeview. You need twin tuners and at least a 2 port LNB and coax to be sure of recording one program and watching another but just as with Freeview some combinations of programs will work OK with only the one tuner and cable.

Here is a multiplex list for Freesat - http://www.taylorbros.co.uk/Free%20Sat%20Multiplex%20list.html
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you tell us which model of Humax we may be able to help, but until you said it was satellite you didn't help us much. If you have a twin tuner version then you need two inputs, or you can watch one and record another as kwikbreaks says above.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    The lack of orginal clarity has lead to mention of both Feesat and Freeview. As I actually have both in different locations and have sausage fingers my previous post said Freesat twice which I've now corrected plus the dodgy firmware I mentioned is actually on a Freeview bow which I haven't corrected as it would make a nonsense of the following post.

Anyhow to summarise I think we've established that for reliable record one view another you do need twin tuners on either system. For Freesat you may need an extra cable or LNB upgrade (unlikely) and cable to support the extra tuner.

Strangely the OP says they currently have Freesat but have been looking at a Freeview box.

You can get refurb boxes pretty cheap but they may have glitches (certainly mine did). There is no need to pay £300 for brand spanking new - you'd get an HD version of either for < £200 even from somewhere like Currys.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not looking for freeview, we already have it on the TV, I want to upgrade the freestat box. Looks like I may have to have the engineer in to put on another feed for the multi tuner box when we get it.

Its on hold just now, I know what to look for when the time comes. So thanks for the help.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    You could have just answered the question.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you tell us which model of Humax we may be able to help, but until you said it was satellite you didn't help us much. If you have a twin tuner version then you need two inputs, or you can watch one and record another as kwikbreaks says above.
    If you answer this question then you may save having to buy a new box and a new cable:cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 July 2017 at 10:38AM
    Options
    The box is a Humax foxsat-HDR, the extra 't' was a slip of the finger and for some obscure reason stuck, does that satisfy you? It does have a twin feed so we can record and watch at the same time. Its my husbands habit of setting two programmes and causing a conflict I want to sort out, I understand to do this we need a more up to date freesat box..

Since my last message the TV went gone belly up, the new one also has freeview installed, it is the Humax box I am interested in so OH can record more than one programme at a time which we cannot do with this box. It is an old box bought, I think, in 2011.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can have a Freeview box, regardless of the fact you have it on the TV, should you decide to go that route. I just use the box controls for viewing and bypass the TV.
    Your choice, but, go here https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.htmlhttp://
    and take your pick. I recommend FVP 4000T with freeview, I've not used a Freesat box in a while.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand to do this we need a more up to date freesat box..

You don't. I've got one of these boxes. What you NEED is a second feed from the dish. No other box (short of Sky Q, a different can of worms) will help. Don't buy a new box thinking it will fix this. What a new box WILL get you, is the on demand stuff. Your box did do it, but the platform moved on and it got left behind, and is no longer compatible.
    Oh I do beg your pardon!!

Pedantic pardon granted.
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just curious, what does Freesat give you over Freeview?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure