Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I assumed it was annual interest since the example of interest accrued does not include interest on interest, and there are not two different rates for monthly or annual interest, but the summary box says interest is paid at the end of each month - without compounding? How does that work if interest is paid into the account?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 3:16PM
    I see what you mean - by quoting 1.25% AER and gross, it can't be both if interest is paid monthly!

Since AER has to include compounding, the quoted rates should presumably be 1.25% AER and 1.2429% gross, or 1.25% gross and 1.2572% AER! Not sure what the rules are on rounding in collateral material though....

Edit: there are at least two other clear references to interest being paid monthly on their site so it looks like they haven't got this right!
    http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings.html
    http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/manage-your-savings/Interest-Rates-FCA.html#personalsavings
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Ref the card reader issue. What Ulster Bank says is that;

If you don't have a suitable card to use with your card reader don't worry, we will provide you with an Anytime Banking card which is designed specifically for use with the reader. We will send this card out automatically when you order a card reader through online banking.

I'll see what happens.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    My 2nd transfer out was blocked by their security team as suspicious even though I was logged in and used the card reader.

Was the 2nd transfer significantly larger and to the same account or to a different account than the first one?
  • When I opened the eSavings account, I was hard searched which made my credit score drop so be careful..it's in the clause below...

"Credit reference and fraud prevention agencies 1.10.1 We may access and use information from credit reference agencies when you open your account and periodically to: (a) manage and take decisions about your accounts; (b) prevent fraud and money laundering; (c) check your identity; and (d) trace debtors and recover debts."
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Frannie_B wrote: »
    When I opened the eSavings account, I was hard searched which made my credit score drop so be careful..it's in the clause below...

Your credit score is only of limited significance. Your credit record is far more important.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    They shouldn't really need a hard search for a savings account though, despite mentioning it in the terms? Have they got a "one-size-fits-all" application process which they share with current accounts I wonder.
  • buffman
    buffman Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Finally my card arrived today, three weeks after first funding the account. Unfortunately the PIN that was sent out is not changeable. Either have to memorize yet another number or write it down!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ? I've changed my pin via the card reader menu!
  • amibovvered
    amibovvered Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I applied nearly 3 weeks ago, have had the letter to return a signature (about 2 weeks ago) then nothing, no account number so I cannot pay anything in or order a card reader, totally in limbo. I'm deaf so cannot phone them but did query this via Facebook last week, told that it was proceeding, but still not had anything back!
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback