ENER-G Switch 2 - Massive rip off, help needed!

Options

Comments

• syrupsponge
    Options
    Can't find new post thread but my query carries on this theme:

My son is in a communal system and has been paying £81 per month, he has come back from 3 weeks spent with us to a bill of £180, how can that be so?

Surely you still only pay for what you use in these schemes, someone could be running a hot tub on the roof!!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

My son is in a communal system and has been paying £81 per month, he has come back from 3 weeks spent with us to a bill of £180, how can that be so?

Surely you still only pay for what you use in these schemes, someone could be running a hot tub on the roof!!
    You need to read the bill to see what is being charged. Everything that is not on a pay as you use rate is charged communally and whilst away will be charged the same as someone in all day with the heating on full blast. That is the way the system works and, as I posted previously, a central system would be a big red flag when house hunting.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Have a read of this link and download the PDF:

http://content.switch2.co.uk/heat-network-regulations-2014?__hstc=222151495.3ae44aa7487c18bddabb0301a1d518aa.1499761443664.1499761443664.1499761443664.1&__hssc=222151495.2.1499761443664&__hsfp=531231730
  • aesson
    aesson Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks to all for the post and responses. I echo everyone!!!8217;s concerns regarding the absence of a fair market for the unregulated communal contracts. There!!!8217;s no consumer voice or choice. Leads to very poor behaviours and the energy inefficiencies outweigh any alleged green benefit. During the winter there!!!8217;s so much energy loss in the Edinburgh Saltire Square development I get a mere asmatic gasp of warm on a good day and none what so ever on the days the heating is actually needed. I!!!8217;m paying for a central heating service I!!!8217;ve not actually ever consumed when I need it. It!!!8217;s a disgrace as I!!!8217;m essentially underwriting somebody!!!8217;s vanity project.
  • aesson
    aesson Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    apostrophes don!!!8217;t work here either. Gimme strength. I!!!8217;m writing to my MP.
  • Skint365
    Options
    I also live at the Saltire Square development in Edinburgh, I have been freezing all winter despite paying bills of over £250 per month just for my heating and hot water through Switch2. The meter was constantly running so I was paying for it but still the flat was (at its warmest) only 17C?! Switch2 increased the pressure and it was better for a few weeks, the engineer is back today because the pressure is now too high so when I thought the heating and hot water were turned off (each individual radiator was turned off as well as the control panel) it turns out the pressure was so high that the heating and hot water valves have failed to close so the meter is still running 24/7!
    Even with the heating turned off, all radiators closed off and hot water on for 2 hours a day my bills have been £150 per month?!
    These ridiculously high bills have quite obviously been generated by maintenance issues but switch2 refuse to pay, the building management refuse to pay, the letting agency refuses to pay and the landlord refuses to pay so i’m Saddled with huge bills when I’m not even feeling the benefit?! Is there anyone who can advise me on this?
    I’m just so pleased I only rent and didn’t buy in this block!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go to your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Scottish version of it .
  • YO91
    YO91 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Every month I receive an energy bill (heating only) of around £60 and out of which my actual heat usage (based on meter) is only £2 (£58 for standing charge). I appreciate standing charge is required to cover the admin cost but I also feel that the standing charge is not justified at all as I always travel and hardly use the heater. Is there anyway to avoid the huge standing charge? I probably pay £700+ without enjoying the heating just because I need to keep my bill as low as possible. I think this is a common problem for a lot of people but I am not sure whether there is a solution for this other than paying a huge sum or moving out. Appreciate your view on this. Thanks!
  • Smoothape
    Options
    I'm having the same issue with this supplier however there is the added issue that the heating/hot water has gone down twice this winter for days at a time.

There doesn't seem to be any recourse as they just ignore formal complaint letters.

For the amount we are paying it seems criminal that the heating and hot water is going out so frequently and doesn't get fixed for days at a time.

Surely there has to be some recourse for this.
  • Aedie
    Options
    Hi,j
    Just moved to a new build and facing the same problems too.. did anyone try complaining to Ombudsman?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure