Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Right date? Check.
    Right time of day? Check.
    But where are the party people? :(
    Congratulations. Leaves present and fizz on doorstep...

Thank you :o

Fizz is in the fridge and I have cake, if you are still speaking to me...

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Puts down glass of fizz and wipes away cake crumbs from mouth...Of course I am still speaking to you. It is so nice to hear reports from the other side of the debt free fence.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Hope you're staying with us Rosa and have thought up a goal to keep you here for another year.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • RosaBernicia
    I am creeping in to remind myself that money can all be dealt with, before I dare add up the holiday receipts and update my YNAB. I may not be entirely the other side of the fence as I am concerned that I may have to carry over a balance on the credit card - hope not but we will see.

A holiday that was supposed to be mostly camping, walking and hanging out on the beach got totally detoured when my friend's plans changed. I went along with it for various reasons I won't go into here, but I've spent waaay more than planned on hotels and B&B, as well as a few beautiful things that I wouldn't have come across if I'd been wandering on the beach instead of in shops. Oh well. I also need to pay the deposit for a hen weekend and for some new career stuff (though I have another payment for that coming in a few weeks time which will cover it).

I had a great time in parts and really needed the time away as for once I was out of my daily life long enough to think differently about things. The parts that were not so fun have shown me what I have to be grateful for and I will be trying to use my gratitude journal regularly now. On my last day there I woke up at 4.30 am in a total fury about everything - it felt like being 17 again :rotfl:- but as I thought through the things that I wanted to change, I am already going in the right direction and maybe just needed a bit of a kick up the ***.

I had today off work as well and don't feel I've done much with it but needed some time to adjust. The poor moggies are so pleased to be home - the little one has been purring away on the sofa so loudly I can hear her in the next room!

Decisions and things to remember from holiday and resulting thinking...
    • Investigate a camper van (again... )
    • Check cost of doggy day care in the village (done - expensive but doable in the longer term) and visit them.
    • Keep on working on the house - slowly so as not to stress over it, but as I've realised yet again I can't convince myself I want to stay in this area forever, I want to have the house in a good state to sell or rent out.
    • Keep getting steadily more sorted with my money situation - eventually look at overpaying mortgage (not going to happen as fast as I'd hoped, but soon).
    OK I really have to go face YNAB now... _pale_

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 29 June 2017 at 11:50PM
    I'm only halfway through adding up the numbers and I'm going to give up and go to bed before it makes me cry.

I've spent hundreds extra on that holiday due to not wanting to let a friend down after they had a serious illness and a disappointment. It's just obscene especially as it isn't necessary to spend that kind of money in the area to enjoy it.

I know I'm fortunate enough to be able to cover it but it is such a waste of money when it doesn't fit with my own priorities. I'm embarrassed as well as upset.

I rather wish I had said no, I'm sticking with camping, even if it would have caused a row. It's the cost of two more whole trips up there the way I would have done things myself.

Never, ever again. It's done now so I can only learn my lesson.

Rosa xx
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You know what - that final sentence is right where it's at. It IS done, and more to the point it sounds as though it was done for the very best of reasons as well, so settle up on it, and move on. As you say, lesson learned - next time maybe it will be possible to say "I'd love to but with my bills etc maybe we can do things this way...?" - I'm a great believer in trying to avoid saying "I can't afford" as that just makes you feel poor.

As you say - you can cover it, but you've learned from this that in the future, you don't WANT to cover it, and that's a great thing.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 29 June 2017 at 11:24PM
    You know what - that final sentence is right where it's at. It IS done, and more to the point it sounds as though it was done for the very best of reasons as well, so settle up on it, and move on. As you say, lesson learned - next time maybe it will be possible to say "I'd love to but with my bills etc maybe we can do things this way...?" - I'm a great believer in trying to avoid saying "I can't afford" as that just makes you feel poor.

As you say - you can cover it, but you've learned from this that in the future, you don't WANT to cover it, and that's a great thing.

Thanks EH :A

You're right, and a friend also wisely pointed out to me today that even though this is something that has upset me in the short term, it's unlikely I will regret it in the longer term - it was done with good intentions and it's not something I need to be ashamed of as such - just need to make sure all my intentions work together.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 29 June 2017 at 11:39PM
    I've faced up to YNAB and it's now up to date and all matching (except for one account that has £7 more than I think it should, but near enough :rotfl:). Also, having reviewed the amounts I didn't spend quite so much extra as I thought. And miraculously, after pulling money out of savings pots that isn't really needed there right now - mostly the electric bill which is now on direct debit and halving the dental work pot - it looks like I've just about managed to cover it. Still not sure how and am just waiting for YNAB to reload and tell me I need to find several hundred pounds in July, but breathing a bit easier now.

I guess I'm still learning a year on from DF, but at least it looks like I haven't slid as far backwards as I thought!

I think I probably need to do some thinking about my budget and make my priorities more obvious. Definitely back to YNAB :heart: ... and have done my ShopNScan, and am off to TCB to sort a payout... they may be little things, but they can all be reminders of where I'm going.

*heads off with newly determined stride*

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    next time maybe it will be possible to say "I'd love to but with my bills etc maybe we can do things this way...?" - I'm a great believer in trying to avoid saying "I can't afford" as that just makes you feel poor.

That's a really good point EH :T
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    As you say, lesson learned. Glad you are back on track :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family