Debt Free Direct Over Calculate Income!!

Options
123457»

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's a handy list of banks outlining which ones give a debit card on their basic accounts - and which ones don't. As you'll see, it's only really Santander that do not give a debit card (out of the major players at least).

Hope you find it useful:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/505%20EW%20Basic%20bank%20accounts/Page-02.aspx

David.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • MUMZ2BEE
    MUMZ2BEE Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.

I spoke to DFD yesterday and they said it can take around 6 months for them to close the case down and send a certificate of failure!!

I am appalled at this but at least I will still get some protection from my creditors.

It turns out my overall debt included their DFD's fees mount to just under £9K!!!!!!

I wont go for bankruptcy just for that small amount of money so a DRO is deffo the best option!!

Now, as Halifax are part of Lloyds can they take a default payment from my account even though there is nothing setup via Lloyds for Halifax?

The reason why I am asking is when my IVA was first setup Halifax had the bloody cheek to take a £50 default payment from my account knowing there was no money in there making me go deliberately overdrawn!!

Can I ask Lloyds to put a flag on the account just to be safe!?

Cheers!!
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    This would be Halifax exercising their right to 'set off'. You are I believe protected from this during an iva and a DRO. Saying that, I imagine that getting money refunded is awkward, complicated and time consuming. My advice is to avoid any bank linked to your creditors to be on the safe side.
  • longtermplanner
    Options
    I too think you should switch to a bank that you don't owe any money to in order to prevent problems like this.

I would suggest one of Barclays, Co-op and Nationwide, as you aren't going to go bankrupt.
  • MUMZ2BEE
    Options
    Nationwide wont take me because of the IVA I asked them Friday!!
  • Anaheim
    Anaheim Posts: 42 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Have you tried Barclays? They were very helpful when we had our iva, they offered us both online banking and a debit card with the basic current account.
  • MUMZ2BEE
    Options
    Anaheim wrote: »
    Have you tried Barclays? They were very helpful when we had our iva, they offered us both online banking and a debit card with the basic current account.

Thanks, I'll give them a try!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport