How many current accounts can you have?

Can you have current accounts at different banks?

For example, could I open up different current accounts at different banks in order to qualify for some of their offers? e.g. Halifax £5/month, First Direct introductory offer.

I know many stipulate that x-amount is required to be paid into these accounts to qualify for these perks. However, is it possible to transfer this amount from other accounts (held elsewhere?).

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    You can have as many current accounts as you like, and are accepted for at as many banks as you like.
    For some of the perk accounts you can transfer the required money across from other accounts, I think some may want to see it is your main account (eg money coming in and DDs etc being paid out each month, not just a transfer in and out.

Might be better asked on the bank account board here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Thanks.

I wasn't sure where this should go.

Could one of the mods move it please?
  • You can have as many has you like ... I had about 6 at one go... started to close them recently and I have about 3 left, though I am looking to close one more.
    Credit Card Debts: £11,605.95/£16,240.53 - 71% paid off.

£4,634.61 credit card debt remaining. Aim for credit card debt free before
    [STRIKE]October 2011[/STRIKE] December 2012. In debt since 2004.
  • May I ask why you are closing them?
  • Adams1
    Adams1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2011 at 8:31PM

Can you have current accounts at different banks?

For example, could I open up different current accounts at different banks in order to qualify for some of their offers? e.g. Halifax £5/month, First Direct introductory offer.

I know many stipulate that x-amount is required to be paid into these accounts to qualify for these perks. However, is it possible to transfer this amount from other accounts (held elsewhere?).

I own 6 current accounts, but have only use 2 of them. I guess I got board one morning 2 years ago and went around opening up accounts at every branch on the high street. Took around 3 hours total but they have come in handy over the years. For example, I exclusively use Halifax for Ebay/Paypal, Barclays for day-2-day shopping, and Natwest which is only used for receiving my paycheck.

Natwest, Barclays, Halifax, Santander (now), Lloyds TSB & HSBC.

Edit: They ask you "Do you have another account elsewhere?" Just say no. Or if you say yes, say you want to move your current account and close the other one down. Some banks frown on multiple accounts (like L-TSB)
  • Adams1 wrote: »
    Edit: They ask you "Do you have another account elsewhere?" Just say no. Or if you say yes, say you want to move your current account and close the other one down. Some banks frown on multiple accounts (like L-TSB)
    Errrr, saying, "No" when actually you have multiple accounts is a daft move. Current account applications get credit checked and your credit history will reflect what accounts you have open. So lying will definitely NOT get you that new account!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure