The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread!

Comments

• e4rly
    e4rly Posts: 66 Forumite
    My July amount brings me to £4,530 - so hopefully by the end of August I will be at my target of £5,000. Well done everyone!
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi,

#82 declaring £500 for July and £500 for August.

I have submitted a form for each month also.

Thanks

Kevin
  • Hi,

number 46 checking in and reporting £1090 for July.

Had an unxpected car repair (in hindsight totally should have been expected) with the windscreen wiper motor which had been temperamental for a few months finally giving up the ghost. It's my boyfriend's car, but as I drive it much more than he does at the moment I paid for it. Bought the replacement part and did it myself. What the internet reckons should have been a 45 minute job took me 2 days due to various seized parts and 2 extra trip to the shops for a bearing puller and machine screws (had to drill through the old ones). At almost £150 all in I'm not sure I saved much by doing it myself, but the sense of satisfaction was worth it!

Next 2 months are going to be a little tougher on the money saving front, especially October. Got a couple of weddings and a holiday coming up.
    On top of that I'm leaving my current job and not starting the new one until 25th September. I gave notice last week, so there will be a couple of weeks I won't be paid for in September and the savings may take a hit in October. It'll be worth it to have a completely stress free holiday though and as the new position pays a little more than the old one, with half the commute, I can ramp up the savings again in November and December.
    Save 12K in 2018 #20 - £20,890/£18,000 (116%) November £1950
    Save 12K in 2017 #46 - £13,184/£12,000 (109.87%):D
    Save 12K in 2016 #184 - £4,608/£4500 (102.4%) :D
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Declaring £200 for July.
    I've got a lot of expenses coming up. Dentist and tons of Birthdays.
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spreadsheet updated :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi,

number 46 checking in and reporting £1090 for July.

Had an unxpected car repair (in hindsight totally should have been expected) with the windscreen wiper motor which had been temperamental for a few months finally giving up the ghost. It's my boyfriend's car, but as I drive it much more than he does at the moment I paid for it. Bought the replacement part and did it myself. What the internet reckons should have been a 45 minute job took me 2 days due to various seized parts and 2 extra trip to the shops for a bearing puller and machine screws (had to drill through the old ones). At almost £150 all in I'm not sure I saved much by doing it myself, but the sense of satisfaction was worth it!

I haven't got a car but would love to own one for some freedom of travel but still struggling with justifying it. The cost of maintenance of a car is such a drag on savings that's after the estimated 3-4k hit straight off the bat for the cost of a second hand car, insurance and fuel for the year. Even used cars can be costly due to fuel costs. I wonder how much do people spend on driving each year?? I would imagine at least £500-£1000 for insurance, £1000++ for petrol?

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Payday came early this month, as today falls on a weekend...

So I have paid all of the my Virgin Regular Savers, (picked up the newest issue this week)
    First Direct, Santander and Ford are due out on Monday, (but same figure each month)

I have also moved money around to all the right places ready for some bills due out on the 25th and the rest on the 1st (split, as I get payments throughout the month, and want bills paid as soon as possible, so I know what I have to spend on me)

HSBC regular saver matured this month, and I'm going to reopen another one next month, skipping an August maturity and I have two Virgins maturing next August so, this way its staggered one every month, and sometimes two... (**if Virgin continue with these issues I'm sure I will pass August 2018 maturity date.)

This works for me, as the next maturing Regular Saver (First Direct) will go toward paying the remainder of my holiday deposit, for my Christmas break and clear my Halifax Clarity card ready for when I go, (I have also opened a Starling, and Monzo card this month, so be good to see how they compare, so I will top up (with apple pay for the incentives) with some of maturing funds)

So this month I am declaring......

£3725
    Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Late declaration for July.

Balance a.a. 31 July: £20,594.31
    Beginning balance: £12,976.79
    Saved year to end July: £7,614.32

Still to save: £4,385.48

I fear that this is not going to be achieved, primarily due to my strategy of using windfalls (like my SLC refund) towards the mortgage as opposed to my savings, but also now as it transpires that we need to instruct a solicitor in respect of something and I now need to lodge £1,200 with him, which will be coming out of my savings. The good thing is that, because I've been saving, I have the money!

I still propose to keep track of where I get to, but I'd be extremely surprised if it's £12k.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • darkidoe wrote: »
    I haven't got a car but would love to own one for some freedom of travel but still struggling with justifying it. The cost of maintenance of a car is such a drag on savings that's after the estimated 3-4k hit straight off the bat for the cost of a second hand car, insurance and fuel for the year. Even used cars can be costly due to fuel costs. I wonder how much do people spend on driving each year?? I would imagine at least £500-£1000 for insurance, £1000++ for petrol?

I had a cheap car and lots of no claims bonus and still spent c£100 a month keeping it going without expensive repairs and petrol. By the time you paid tax, mot, car insurance, servicing, which I skimped on at this stage, and finally a car paking permit as I live in London. Then there is screen wash, breakdown cover, furry dice, cleaning products, tyres etc. But driving that car put a smile on my face. When it went to the big white repair garage in the sky I decided enough was enough.
  • darkidoe wrote: »

I have a small hatchback and I budget £600 a year for insurance, road tax, breakdown cover, servicing and MOT. I spend £40 pm on petrol, but get a chunk back off expenses. That doesn't allow for depreciation or a replacement sinking fund, or any one-off expenses though.

I'm do low mileage - my 10 year old car that I've had from new has only done 27,000 miles! I buy a car from new and keep it 10-12 years and it's garaged every night so it tends to last OK.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills