PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Book 32:

6643090.jpg

8/10. I found the plot gentle, and a bit lacking but this was more than made up for by the language, the observation of parochial life and dry wit used in the writing. I can see this translating to film very well - Yasmeen from Corrie would make a great Mrs Ali, and perhaps Bill Nighy / Timothy Spall as the Major, with the usual luvvy suspects as the supporting members of the cast? Overall it was just hilarious and well worth reading (I don't usually go for light fiction): thanks for the recommendation!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4, I'd say it's a bit more than light fiction - themes of judging by appearance, tolerance, inclusivity and love.

Our book group loved it, again, surprisingly.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 33:

517zUomlaHL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6.5/10. I picked this up from the library yesterday purely because I thought it might be an interesting set of essays, not because I'm a fan (the few clips I've caught from "The Big Bang Theory" haven't encouraged me to keep watching). It's a quick read, funny in parts (not lol funny though) but unpolished - as if the writing has been dashed off every evening after work for a month. What I can appreciate from it is his tenacity in pursuing his dream of acting.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    Options
    I LOVE The Big Bang Theory! I must look for this! :j:j:j

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't been reading books at all lately as the current events have distracted me!

I charged up my kindle last night and will probably have an early night tonight with some of the books I started ages ago and haven't finished.:)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I LOVE The Big Bang Theory! I must look for this! :j:j:j
    I just don't get US "humour" of this nature - in fact I'd prefer to curl up with a good book :D - and assumed it was just a Brit thing but clearly I am wrong!

• pollypenny
    Options
    It's like Friends and Scrubs - better, in fact brilliant, once you know the characters and their interactions.

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I finished reading The Best British Mysteries 2006 by Various Authors earlier in the week. Every single one of these short stories was very well written and I found then, fascinating, thrilling and they all drew me in and left me wanted to read more of that particular authors work. It was a delightful cornucopia of authors and stories at their very best. I had owned this book for years, but only just got around to reading it. I would give this book 10 out of 10 because I simply could not fault any of the writing. :D
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 34:

41SLpgHegyL._AC_US218_.jpg

8/10. A relatively quick one for me. I expected to be able to recommend key parts of it to patients, but in fairness it's been a kick up the butt for me too! Activity has gone up as a result, let's see how long it lasts for!

• loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Somewhere back in the thread, someone recommended 'behind closed doors' by B A PARIS.

I saw it on the shelf at the library on Saturday and remembered it ... I started reading it yesterday evening ( I didn't go to bed till VERY late and have had to sit down for an hour this evening and finish it! ) I didn't sleep well and I probably won't tonight as my brain ponders it all.

good book but disturbing and heart pounding! I want to know more about some of the minor characters in the book, as I am sure there is more to them than we know.

I've got to go and find a couple of 'light and fluffy' books now, to restore my equilibrium!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure