Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have just received notice that Leeds BS Regular Saver Issue 2 will be closing to existing customers in March. It was replaced by Issue 3 for new customers some time ago. Issue 2 pays 3.05% including bonus on up to £500pm and I had just built up a decent balance. Issue 3 is also paying 3.05% with bonus but I would have to start again building a balance by paying in up to £250pm at which time no doubt that account too would be superseded.

The default replacement offered for Issue 2 accounts will be an easy access account paying BoE base rate (+ 0.35% until next year).
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was told similar in the Leeds branch on Friday, that my original series account will be closed.

I could say it won't affect me much as the balance is modest at the moment, but on the other hand I was half hoping to pay in up to £1000 in March.

I would have swapped to the latest version there and then, but apparently a half hour appointment is needed, booked in advance. How tedious is that?

I can't really see why they are making the change. I suppose in theory someone might have £100k in a long-lived account, but there probably won't be many like that.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    redux wrote: »
    I can't really see why they are making the change. I suppose in theory someone might have £100k in a long-lived account, but there probably won't be many like that.

Nobody could have 100k in it because it hasn't been around long enough for that. You can only add 1k a month to it! But I understand the gist of what you say.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nobody should have over £85K in a single financial institution, either.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    I'm disappointed with the Leeds Building Society. They recently ruined my Albion Cheque Account by removing the cheque book facility which was the whole point of it, and now they're terminating a regular savings account which was always marketed as not having a term, so you could save for as long as you wanted.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2015 at 7:47PM
    redux wrote: »
    I was half hoping to pay in up to £1000 in March.

The monthly maximum for Issue 2 is £500. For Issue 3 it is £250.

Flexible Regular Saver allows up to £1000pm but only pays 1.50% including bonus.
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    IanManc wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with the Leeds Building Society. They recently ruined my Albion Cheque Account by removing the cheque book facility which was the whole point of it, and now they're terminating a regular savings account which was always marketed as not having a term, so you could save for as long as you wanted.

Yes - its a shame they are closing issue 2. But its nationally available and is a good rate so they are presumably losing money on it. I haven't had my letter yet - but presumably that's to come.

I am assuming from 31 March the issue 2 account will be closed and the entire balance will be moved to this new instant access account paying base rate +0.35% - albeit you can presumably pay £250 into a new issue 3 account paying the 3.05% rate? Is that right. Makes you wonder however how long the issue 3 will last - they make clear it can be withdrawn at any time without notice?

http://www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/_resources/pdfs/savings-pdfs/regularsaver-uk.pdf

I remember when Mansfield closed their 3.1% regular saver for up to £500 a month last year they let people keep the accumulated balance at that rate indefinitely but stopped new investments - albeit you could open up to three issue 3 accounts paying 2.75% on up to £250 a month. Maybe they are just more generous in Nottinghamshire than Yorkshire?!
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I haven't had my letter yet - is the Leeds RS 2 closing on March 1st when interest is paid or at some later date?
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2015 at 7:52PM
    ctdctd wrote: »
    I haven't had my letter yet - is the Leeds RS 2 closing on March 1st when interest is paid or at some later date?
    MARTYM8` wrote: »
    I am assuming from 31 March the issue 2 account will be closed

Unless you notify Leeds BS beforehand of other plans they "will be closing your Regular Saver Issue 2 and transferring your balance on 3rd March 2015 to a Flexible Tracker Account including 2014/15 bonus (if applicable)."

Normal interest earned will be credited 28th February and then a couple of extra days will be added on 3rd March .
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The letter is ambiguous about interest earned from 1st March to 3rd March (yes, I know it's petty, but) they don't say the bonus-inclusive rate will be payable for those dates rather than the basic rate alone and it should be included IMO because
    • i) They have elected to remove the product on a non-bonus anniversary date for whatever reason (but beyond the control of the customer)
    • ii) you can't receive the bonus for the year ending 28th Feb if you now close your account early so you have to 'sit it out' till 1st March at the earliest
    • iii) 1st March is a Sunday and they are electing to transfer closing balances on the Tuesday rather than the Monday (So I suppose you can request payment on 2nd in advance) but they are cutting it fine.
    Yes Leeds does have a streamlined operation for account redemptions/closures - which is a good thing admittedly.

I repsonded to this letter by asking them over the phone to consider allowing me to transfer my closing balance to a RS Iss 3 instead of taking their 0.85% with access or their tied in bonds at 2%/2.6%. My arguments were:
    • a) The letter explains the closure is: "to simplify our savings range, and streamline the number of accounts we offer" (and does not mention interest rates)
    • b) on checking with them, the Regular Saver Iss 3 will remain available after this exercise, paying 3%+ comparing more favourably to the rates offered by the transfer.
    • c) A regular saver (i.e. an account offering limited access for a better rate and allowing further additions also) is closer to my existing product and more closely meets my needs than any of the alternatives being suggested.[Leeds may point out they you can add without the obligation to do so to their 'Tracker' paying 0.85% in repsonse to that. In response to that, you could say that they are only porviding this account until 31/07/16 - for 18 months anyway, at which point you'll have a decision of whether to 'move it' again]
    • d) There's also the question of how they propose streamlining the accounts they 'offer' (market?) by launching three new accounts in this way?

The real reason Leeds wants to close these (and other?) closed issue accounts is to save interest - except they don't give that as the reason in their letter. Thus, they can't resist the argument that a transfer into a regular saver Iss 3 instead would not meet both their 'stated needs' as well as the customer's needs. They don't need to launch new products (whose features guarantee they wouldn't be selected by customers with that choice) anyway - again confirming they are acting in a unstated fashion aimed at cost cutting.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport