PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 16 June 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 16 June 2017 at 5:33AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 16 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Blue sky and sun shining, forecast is good here for the weekend, already warm.

DH up and gone into work to help out as several of the other staff are on hols today, and they were short staffed, he should be home by 10.30am ish. We don't need to go anywhere until lunchtime so it's not a problem. DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, I'll wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was HM chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, roasted potatoes, veg and gravy, was delicious. Tonight boys will have pizza, we'll have something from the chip shop near where we are staying.

I got the ironing done, so then was able to pack, I will just need to get all the other bits together once I'm back from food shopping first thing.

Opticians were fine, have a new pair of normal glasses and a pair of sunglasses on their way, too much money though, but this will be the last time I buy 2 x pairs, they're supposed to be buy 1 get 1 free, but my eyes are not changing that much, and the sunglasses although if the weather's good I wear them a lot, they don't get that much use, so keeping a pair and not renewing them as frequently will be fine. I collect the new glasses in 2 weeks, I did manage to get a bit of discount due to the previous 2 pairs of glasses falling apart, not much though.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone.

It's still dull and watery, which is a darn sight better than the horrendous day we had yesterday.

The builder called round on his way home and we stood in the pouring rain examining the gaps in the guttering. He'll cost it up and get on with it on a dry day...so may be next year!

I've got a staff development day to sit through today - three mandatory sessions via video conferencing. :eek:

This evening I'm going to the opening of an art exhibition of the work done by the art students at college. These students are of the mature variety who have been working all year at these pieces.

My lunch is packed and I'm taking a flask as the kitchen is very small and there'll be too many people for comfort.

I hope that others have a more interesting day - happy Friday.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913
    Forumite
    Morning all and thank you for starting us off nmlc.

I've been up for some hours and know I'm not going to last the day. It is lookin like another lovely day of sunshine.

I need to do the Friday tidy and some ironing as otherwise I shall be going to work in my pjs next week.

Horrified by events in London.

FBO I think I missed your birthday so a belated happy birthday from me.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc, have a nice break away.

Hugs to those that are unwell or having a difficult time at the moment.

The forecast for today is for it to be a bit fresher than it was yesterday, which will be good for me. I felt like was going to melt yesterday afternoon. It is nice to have some summer weather though

I need to make a couple of cakes today because my cousin and his wife are over here from Canada at the moment and are going to spend some time with me and my brother’s family this weekend. I am going to do a summer berry loaf and a coffee and walnut cake because they are their favourites. My brother has put in a request for a carrot cake as well, so if I have time and if it isn’t too hot I will do one.

Yesterday I managed to get a couple of the windows cleaned on the inside before it got too hot, and most of the housework. At least that means that I don’t have to do too much today other than the baking.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
  • Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's a cloudy start here but rain not forecast so that's a bonus. Although, saying that, the gardens really need a good downpour (preferably through the night though!)

I feel like a wet rag after a tossy turny night. Yesterday was tiring as it always is when travelling to St James' hospital - two buses and a train each way is very wearing. Home in time to hose the dried up tubs and pots outside (as well as next door's) before putting the pasta bake in the oven for the 3 DGDs arriving.

Two are still in bed but the youngest is beside me watching some American rubbish on Nick. She has outgrown civilised progs like Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol now sadly!! Oh quick update - middle one has just joined us! As always the eldest will be to waken up shortly and let the fun begin!! It will be the usual chaos till they are thrown in the car at 8.15 for the school run.

When I have recovered I have the pleasure of the Friday clean round to do and then this afternoon a trip to Aldi for the weekly shop. I must remember to get a few tubs of their low fat garlic and herb cheese, as I got a big bag of red peppers for £1 yesterday off Leeds market before heading home - so I can make a big pan of my favourite soup later. Yum.

Oh well time to waken eldest DGD - can't get her to bed and can't get her up again next morning! Have a good day folks and (HUGS) as always for the sad, worried or poorly. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,052
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone, and thanks to NMLC for starting off,
    Seems to be another ok day here, hope it stays fine. Yesterday was a nice day, though distinctly chilly last night.
    Yesterday went as planned,.Whats in store today is get hair done, pick up DGS from school, and two friends coming round tonight for a natter. There are the usual household jobs of course, and I didn't iron yesterday, must do today.
    Have a good day everyone
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Another bright sunny day here off to work for me but its Friday :j best day of the week ! Takeaway and wine tonight !

Its Evie's 2nd Birthday today she got a new doggie bandana with hearts on and we are going through the woods for a walk tomorrow and will stop at the cafe and get her a doggie ice cream :D

Need to do a wash tonight but the rest can wait till tomorrow, my car is desperate for a wash so will try and persuade OH to do it over the weekend :cool:

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    good morning every one and thank you NMLC for starting us off, I too had one of those deals from B**ts and have a pair of sunglasses that are handy for reading when on holiday, but as we don't normally have months of sunshine (even in the south ) its a one off and I shan't be getting anymore as although it was a Bogoff i still think the cost of glasses is rather high.I wear varifocals so mine always seem to be very expensive anyway :).

Gers the art exhibition sound good , I try to always have a look at the adult -ed one in Rochester when its on, as although I love looking I could no more draw a straight line than catch air in my hand ,but I do appreciate peoples efforts .

AOD its up and blazing already here in Kent so another warm day ahead I think.

Holleyharvey I lurve coffee and walnut cake but rarely make it as I am the only one in the family who likes it and I'm afraid I would probably scoff the lot :):):) I know it can be frozen, but its just too much of a temptation :) with a nice pot of fresh brewed coffee and some fresh cream what could be more sinful :):):) I have a local church funds coffee morning to go to next week, and I shall dutifully buy my one slice there ( the lady who makes them always makes a huge one for the day ) with some coffee...maybe take one home for later as well :):):)

well chums this morning I shall be off to do my first shop of this month .I have been shopping from my freezer this month and using up all sorts of odds and ends instead of going shopping .really enjoyed it as its done a two fold job.
    1 . saved me time and cash from traipsing around the shops (I dislike shopping ) I can always find more interesting things to do :)
    2. used up some stuff in stock from my freezer and food cupboard which were far too full anyway

I have my list of essential bits that I have run out of ,mainly fruit and veg and a few other things so I am roughly working it out it should come to under £30 with luck. a few items on the list like cleaning/ washing liquid and loo rolls with bump it up a bit I expect, but on the whole as its half way through the month I am quite happy about that.

Gum and tooth is still a bit sensitive since yesterday's root canal filling but paracetamols will take care of it, and it will settle down in a day or so I expect.Glad the dentists is out of the way now :)

This afternoon is History club which I always enjoy and looking at our sheet its going to be all about the Royal Academy of Art. Our tutor is so good and the two hours we are there just flies by and we always learn such a lot from her research . At the end of every term she asks us all what we would like to find out about the following term, and every week we have a different subject. There are 8 of us in her class and we have all known her for years (she was my tutor when I was at uni 10 years ago) we meet in her house for two hours on a Friday afternoon and she provides HM cake baked that morning, and tea and coffee and we all put a fiver each for her efforts onto the tea tray.well worth every penny as she is such a great tutor and we do have such a enjoyable afternoon.She earns some pin money, and its a very sociable and friendly end to the week.We have one lady who is diabetic and she even makes sure one of the cakes baked is sugar-free.Then round to Dds to see that the boys are all OK and make their after-school snack.

Tonight, my quiz team and I are off to the local leisure centre for a charity quiz in aid of the local asthma charity.We have been to several of them and its a jolly good night out and helps raise some much needed cash for a good cause.
    A busy day ahead, but a good end to the week :) DD wants to go to the beach on Sunday as the forecast is looking good, my son-in-law has a lot of revision to do for his end of term exams (he is doing a part-time engineering degree) so he will stay at home with the dogs, but will fire up the BBQ for when we get home. at the moment the poor chap is suffering as he gets dreadful hay fever so he is quite happy to stay indoors away from the pollen, and if the estimates are right it would be far too hot for the dogs anyway.

Hope everyone has a good weekend what ever you are doing.I shall put a wash on before I go shopping, and get it out on the line ,probably iron it tomorrow in the evening No point getting over heated in this weather.

Have a good day chums
    JackieO xxx
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 994
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning
    Still hot here, weather forecast says hotter tomorrow and even hotter for Sunday.
    Went to see Mother, she seems to think I am her sister, her older sister :eek: as my hair is white. Maybe she will be nicer to me as she liked her sister.
    Not planning too much today, need to clean windows but I'm sure it's too hot, well that's my excuse.
    Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Morning all

Up from. 3pm onwards... The other hound has dodgy bowels now. Couldn't take the risk of not hearing her scratch the door to go out so I've stayed awake. Forgot the live yogurt last week. I could kick myself.

Youngest is facing his first disciplinary at work. Smoking in the works van. He's going through a 'life is good' over confident phase at the moment. Hope it passes soon. Idiot!

Not much to do today. Good job really cause I'm doing very little.
  • Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Busy day, OH has an appointment with the cardiologist, before we go to the hospital I want to go to Wilkinson and Bon Marche in the shopping centre near the hospital and then we are going on to see my quilting friend.

Back home for fish and chips for supper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure