Hastings car insurance cancelled after paying in full

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had always assumed insurers exchanged NCD and other information.

In 50 years of insuring cars and quite often switching insurers, I have NEVER been asked for proof of NCD. I have stated my current insurer so I just assumed the new one automatically checks with the previous one.

I have just changed from Hastings to Esure, there was a standard message about me providing proof of NCD, but then after I paid they sent me an email saying that they didnt need proof because they had got the information from a data base.

I guess they do keep information about us all, in this case it helps.
  • alex373208
    alex373208 Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2017 at 11:40AM
    This was the advice I was given be the complaint handler at Hastings Insurance

I also contacted Direct Line for a second opinion and they verified it

A cancelled insurance policy only has to be declared if the reasons for the cancellation were fraud.

Forgetting/being unable to send a document, or defaulting on a payment doesn't constitute as fraud.

Perhaps the Hastings Rep on this thread could confirm this, or I would suggest if anyone is in doubt they contact the insurer that cancelled their policy and double check
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The acceptance criteria for one insurer may differ from another.

If you have an insurer cancelled policy in your history and you are asked "have you ever had a policy cancelled" then you have to (truthfully) answer "yes".

You can then elaborate on that answer and it is up to each insurer to underwrite based on their criteria.

But to offer general advice saying if it's not a fraud linked cancellation you don't need to disclose it could be bad advice.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If an insurer asks you for proof of NCD, and you fail to provide that, then usually they simply ask for the additional premium.

It would seem the insurer was prepared to insure you even without NCD, assuming the approprioate premiun was paid, as they did insure you for almost 2 months.

Seems more to this matter than the OP is letting on.
    OP - I would suggest you follow the advice given in post#9, but by doing so, you may well let the cat out of the bag! :cool:
  • alex373208
    edited 16 July 2017 at 4:14PM
    The acceptance criteria for one insurer may differ from another.

If you have an insurer cancelled policy in your history and you are asked "have you ever had a policy cancelled" then you have to (truthfully) answer "yes".

You can then elaborate on that answer and it is up to each insurer to underwrite based on their criteria.

But to offer general advice saying if it's not a fraud linked cancellation you don't need to disclose it could be bad advice.

It's not noted in your history if the reasons for the cancellation were not fraud, therefore does not have to be declared. Could be bad advice? Could be great advice to those thinking they HAVE to declare it without question

Like I said if people are in any doubt then contact the insurer that cancelled the policy, ask them if it should be declared. If they say no then produce their statement in court. Case dismissed
  • alex373208
    edited 16 July 2017 at 4:25PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    If an insurer asks you for proof of NCD, and you fail to provide that, then usually they simply ask for the additional premium.

It would seem the insurer was prepared to insure you even without NCD, assuming the approprioate premiun was paid, as they did insure you for almost 2 months.

Seems more to this matter than the OP is letting on.
    OP - I would suggest you follow the advice given in post#9, but by doing so, you may well let the cat out of the bag! :cool:

If I wasn't responding to the request for the proof of NCD it is unlikely I would respond to the request for the additional premium surely? Keep up Sherlock :rotfl:

The insurance has already been cancelled and the complaint handler has closed the case, what good would talking to someone else from Hastings insurance do? :rotfl:
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    alex373208 wrote: »
    Like I said if people are in any doubt then contact the insurer that cancelled the policy, ask them if it should be declared. If they say no then produce their statement in court. Case dismissed
    No. Contact the insurers you are thinking of going with and ask them. They are the ones that matter.
  • rs65
    Forumite
    If I wasn't responding to the request for the proof of NCD it is unlikely I would respond to the request for the additional premium surely? Keep up Sherlock :rotfl:
    If you initially paid by card, they could probably just take the additional premium, funds permitting.
  • alex373208
    rs65 wrote: »
    No. Contact the insurers you are thinking of going with and ask them. They are the ones that matter.

Wrong. Get written proof from the old insurer it doesn't need to be declared

Why give the new insurer a reason to up the cost

I don't know how many different languages I need to say this in, if it's not cancelled for fraud it doesn't need to be declared. Try and digest it slowly
  • rs65
    Forumite
    Wrong. Get written proof from the old insurer it doesn't need to be declared

Why give the new insurer a reason to up the cost

I don't know how many different languages I need to say this in, if it's not cancelled for fraud it doesn't need to be declared. Try and digest it slowly

For anyone reading this in the future, the view of the insurer who cancelled cover is irrelevant. Any future insurer decides what is important to them. For example, some insurers don't like past cancellations due to non-payment. Fraud is not the only cancellation reason that needs to be declared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure