Some advice needed RE:Bank account

Hello
I've posted previously about the rather poor advice/support I seem to be getting from CAB for my BR application (I live in Scotland). I'm trying to figure things out in what seems to be a massive learning curve for me, which is difficult as I am battling with illness and a lot of personal stuff going on.

I was advised to open a basic bank account, which I did- with Barclays. I've cancelled all my direct debits and have worked out payments I can afford, which is massively under min payments. I recently spoke to someone at National Debtline and they told me I should not use Barclays as I have debt with them (credit card with £6k owed and £400 in arrears) and they can take the money from my other basic account. I wanted to check if this was accurate and if so, does anyone have a suggestion as to which bank I should go with. They also advised against any Scottish banks.

Many thanks.

Comments

• LaLaLa34
    LaLaLa34 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Co-Op bank, Or a pre-paid card, the U-Account is pretty decent to be fair.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I set up a Co-op cashminder before becoming BR and have kept it on since discharge - several years now. No problem and see no reason to change it.
  • Nationwide do a great basic account that can be opened online. It comes with a contactless debit card and mobile/ online banking. Make sure you tick the box to say that you are in financial difficulty or they might open a standard current account instead.

H x
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A good point made by H. When I first applied for my Co-op account (before the BR) they signed me up for their normal current account which I then had to cancel and open the Cashminder - I didn't realise until the paperwork arrived! I also now have a Co-op savings account which makes life easy too.

The Cashminder also has phone and online banking but not sure about contactless which I've never bothered about but sounds like Nationwide is the one if contactless is important to you.

EJ
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I can't understand why you were advised against going with a Scottish Bank - unless you owe money to RBS, Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank.

I have and had at the time of bankruptcy a Basic Bank Account with Yorkshire Bank which is a subsidiary of Cydesdale Bank and had no problems during or post going belly up.

At least being domiciled in Scotland you are going to save a monkey on the cost of going into Sequestration compared to England and Wales. Just watch out for the IPA's as there is no "get out of jail card" when you are discharged after a year. An IPA can kick in post-discharge in Scotland - your sentence is "three years longer"
  • weekari
    weekari Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The woman I spoke to said to avoid Scottish banks because of something to do with being able to arrest wages or something along those lines.

Nationwide seems like the best option for me as there is only 1 co-op bank in Scotland which is not in the city I'm nearest too. I don't access the bank very often but it's good to have the option.

Thank you for the suggestions.
  • I have nearly done my year, but I got a basic bank account with virgin, they were very easy to deal with. Could that be an option for you to try?
  • Gaz1
    Gaz1 Posts: 33 Forumite
    thanks to this thread ive managed to sort me a basic bank account well 2 to be precise lol. i initially opened a basic santander as my current account is with them and i dont owe them a bean but then was worried that if i transfer all my d/debits and s/orders and they closed that one down i would be stuffed, so i opened a nationwide account just in case and they agreed it but on the application i had to say i was already BR as the eligility part of it will say i could have a current account not a basic, but at that time i had just submitted my BR. And just to let folk know i tried to open a post office card/control account(basic) and I phoned them and he said " we do not allow bankrupts an account" so that was 1 off the list.
  • haggis0073
    haggis0073 Posts: 160 Forumite
    just before i went BR i transferred my wages into partners bank, then after i went BR i then opened a basic account with barclays (who were also part of my bankruptcy), all went fine for me, they asked if they were part of my BR and i said yes, and they still gave me an account lol

couple of months on and still no issues :)
  • Naemoney
    Naemoney Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi, I found the TSB really helpful I applied for a basic account after I was declared bankrupt,was totally upfront with them as you have to be! it was slightly embarrassing having to utter the words I'm bankrupt outloud but I survived!!!!!!
    Barclay's were completely unhelpful saying I had the wrong ID (I didn't) then the appointments to open an account were cancelled on THREE occasions and re booked two months in advance, I needed my account straight away as RBS had frozen my account and benefit payments were not allowed to be paid in which I was told would not happen. TSB account up and running in three days and sympathetic staff that put me at ease, but I still ran out the door with my head down in shame!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck,
    Naemoney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family